Author Topic: What 45LC, 200gr mould do you like for CAS with New Vaquero's?  (Read 10542 times)

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thinkin' 'bout saving a few hundred $$ by casting my own .452 x 200gr pills.

What moulds do you like, OR, which shall I not take time with.   Thanks pards.

Wally

P>S> Feel free to PM me...
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What 45LC, 200gr mould do you like for CAS with New Vaquero's?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
Steel Striker,

Reducing not only the amount of lead but the powder charge as well help cut costs.
You may want to consider the  ".45 cal. Cowboy Special" in a .45 Colt?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »
There are some who swear *at* Lee molds and some who like them. at ~ $20 a pop I find them extremely affordable.

I have a handful of RCBS and other molds, but I have a couple dozen Lee molds -
being a cheap barstich frugal sort, the price is right, and since I only cast a few hundred bullets a month
for the amount I use them they work fine for me!

Those who cast thousands or more a month are usually the folks that have issues with them.

Outside of the occasional QA "glitch" (which has always been resolved nicely by Lee)  the rest of us normal folk seem to get on fine with Lee Molds. Oh, and there are some threads on tuning Lee Molds, ( often called "Lee Menting" on the cast boolits forum)

Also ,  I cannot  find anybody but Lee who offers a 200gr in the more traditional "roundnose flat point" .

I just ordered out (and am going to the PO now to pick up) one each of the following Lee molds.:

Lee Bullet Mold, .45 caliber,

LEE-90570 .452" diameter, 160 grain, round nose flat point Cowboy Action mold, double cavity

LEE-90234 .452" diameter, 200 grain, round nose flat point BPCR mold, double cavity

LEE-90358 .452" diameter, 255 grain, flat nose, solid base BPCR mold, double cavity

I already have a Lee 200 gr "Remington C&B round nose" mold I intend to try in cartridges "just because".

I also already have DD's "Big Lube" Lee molds in ~200 gr and ~250 gr that I plan to try. These should be great for BP in the rifle.

I plan to use these in my 1866 yellowboy, my Remington conversions, one Colt Conversion, and my Uberti and Pietta Model P clones. Oh, and my Remington Revolving Carbine. And a DIY .45 Colt single shot if I ever get it finished.

Hell I may even try cramming them in the C&B cylinders "for fun".

Also in the order is a Lee .405 HB for the trapdoor and a .312 185gr to try in a 7.7 Type 99

I will try them out and report back. But don't exect anythimg fast!

Since I just told the barstiche micromanaging nitpicking slavedriving overlords to stuff it  retired officially from the day job on Tuesday, after I sleep for a week, I will have more time to do whatever the hell I want to pursue these CAS passions,  and build knives and ML rifles.

Oh Yeah and I want to gemerize a trapdoor action with a .50 cal octagonal barrel    :o .
and finish "restoring" and shoot a pair of '95 mausers. and a 6.5 type 38.
and restore and shoot my 1870 12 ga double and the 12 ga fox rabbit ears. and ... and ...

As our Good Blair Pointed out:
Steel Striker,

Reducing not only the amount of lead but the powder charge as well help cut costs.
You may want to consider the  ".45 cal. Cowboy Special" in a .45 Colt?
My best,
 Blair

Since .45 Cowboy brass is like dinosaur eggss so hard to come by ,  What I am doing is to use full length .45 Long Colt brass ( yeah I know all about the nomencalture , get over it   :P   ) for BP- and subs-only, and .45 Schofield brass for smokeless only . This way I will be able to identify them readily and also reduce the amount of empty case for smokeless loads.

At some point I may be able to get the Holy Grail of molds, the 250~ gr .45 Colt hollow base , but maybe later.

hope this helps :-)

prof ( i pulled the pin and threw the retirement grenade!) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »
Blair;
Gotta use the 45LC brass, as that's what I standardized on 2 years ago.  Currently have about 3K+ ready for loading.  I'm using 5.0gr Trailboss specifically for the fluffy safe fill.  Thanks.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
Professor Marvel,
Thank you for your excellent response. ;D

I have experience with the Lee and Magma 200 gr. bullets in the .45 Colt.
The Lee 200 gr. bullet mold besides being relatively inexpensive, the bullets shot really well in 10 BHN alloy.

They provided better accuracy for me than the Magma 200's, but to be fair, the Magma's were commercial bullets made from 16+ BHN hardness.  In addition, the Magma molds are much more expensive than the Lee.

Based on my experience with both bullets I did design a 210 gr. bullet that kind of combined what I liked about both bullets but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-210J-D.png

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
...."all about the nomencalture , get over it".....

"clature" maybe.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
Why, Thank you Jack (w44wcf)  and Henry -

I try to be informative, reasonably accurate, and above all else entertaining  :-)

Since I am not a "gamer" I struggeled over getting the 160 gr .45 mold but decided to throw it in the pile whilst I am still allowed to spend a little money, with the thought that it may actually work well in the C&B revolvers which are "suppoosed to" have a better twist for short RB than for conicals.  Besides, in 60 or so more years  once I am around 125 or 130  I might like a lighter load :-)

what with all the different lengths of .45 rimmed brass we are playing with, perhaps it might actually be useful to to "rename" the stuff whilst continuing to acknowledge the historic  nomeenkulture  namenclickture name ?

"I'll have a couple boxes of .45 colt short,  one box of .45 colt medium and 10 boxes of .45 colt extra long...."

hmmmmm perhaps not.....

yhs
prof (12 hrs of sleep a night so far) mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:18 PM »
I see now that Lee has 3 "45" , 200gr moulds;

#90697 seems to have the typical crimp groove
#90310 has no crimp groove, probably for the 45ACP
#90379 has 6 lube/crimp grooves w/ beveled base.

Anyone using the #90379 die?  Looks interesting to me, but mayhaps the narrow 'driving' bands are not as good for 'centering' than the #90697 die w/2 driving bands & 1 lube groove.   Pls. edumacate me with your experience.  Again, this is for CAS shooting, not target nor long distance stuff.  Thanks again.

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:30:45 AM »
Professor, your posts are always entertaining  ;D and I wish you happy pursuing

Steel Striker, that's for Tumble Lubing with liqu luqid Lee stuff.
If you are using the original length of 45 Colt brass you might have to seat them deeper for use in the revolver.

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
The DD J/P .45 210 grain BL bullet with 1/3 c/c FFFg (name a brand) in the .45 Cowboy Special AKA .45 Short brass makes a cracker jack load in rifle or revolver. My 1960 Henry has a Smith Shop lifter and a positive slam down (Coffinmaker thanks) lifter arm will run as fast as a Gun Powder shooter can see the next target . Also the barrel does not get as hot compared to the .44-40/.45 Colt with 2.7 c/c of FFFg and that same J/P .45 210 grain RNFP bullet. A 10 shot stage and you could cook the morning bacon on a barrel flat.

Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
I've ordered the LEE #90697 6 cavity, .452 - 200gr mold.

Thanks everyone for helping.  Now I'm out to the garage, figuring a way to break up my stash of lead ingots [CWW's] for the 20# casting pot.  Figure on just staying with the Clip on Wheel Weights, & using a touch of Pewter [tin] if the Lee molding process calls for it.

I'll tumble lube w/Alox & tumble in some ground Mica for storage.  That Mica worked well with my .461-405gr pills.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Just make sure you check your "clip on" wheel weights for ZINK weights. 

Coffinmaker.

PS:  I like the 200Gr J/P Big Lube.  Hauls a gob and a half of lube down the barrel  ;D

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »
Coffinmaker;

Yea, I looked into that Zinc pollution aspect.  If I keep my smelting kettle under 750 deg F [melts @ 786 deg F], I should be OK.  One way is to spoon off the dross & floating clips, steel weights & presumably other stuff incl. Zinc, as soon as the Lead starts to melt around everything.

Turn off propane, add final flux [Pine sawdust] & pour into my ingot.   Thanks for your precaution.

Here's a pic of the mold I made, so the ingots would fit between the wall studs in the garage & not get in the way. 

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
If you drop the WW on the floor the zinc will make a clink sound the lead makes a clunk sound, different and easily identified. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »
True, but wouldn't that mean handling 100# one by one, and all that stooping?

I'm OK with smelting in a full 8qt. cast iron pot & scooping the dregs.  Thanks.

My Lee #90697, ($49.19) .452-200, 6 cavity mould arrived a few days back.  Just waiting for temps to drop off of 90+.

Offline Hans Christian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 07:32:50 AM »
This has been an interesting thread!

We have several different 45 Colts in the family, pistols and rifles. My Elder Statesman father prefers to use 4 3/4" OMV Rugers. We developed a light 200 gr load to ease the recoil. He is quite pleased with it.

The bullet is from an RCBS 45-200-SWC mould. It is a clone of the Lyman 452460 semi-wadcutter. The Lee 90310 is similar but different in several respects.  These bullets are normally associated with 45 ACP.  My alloy is close to 50/50 +.75 tin with a BHN of about 10.

The RCBS has a short nose and a long bearing surface. This allows the bullet to seat deeply in the cavernous Long Colt case. As a consequence, bullet tension is higher. There is no crimping groove which has not been an issue in our experience. We use a light roll crimp into the front driving band with a Lee FCD. A taper or profile crimp should work equally well.

We settled on 5.5 gr of Trailboss. 5.0 did not give us a good chamber seal. YMMV.

As I stated, this load is meant for revolvers. We have run them through the magazines of Rossi 1892 clones with mixed results.

Our standard rifle load uses 240 gr RNFP bullets, so the difference is readily apparent.

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
Hans;  Good info all.  Will share pics of 1st 1023 batch of pills from LEE #90697 mold when I get another sync cable for phone.

I've been hesitant to NOT crimp in a groove when loading Marlin 1894CB for CAS matches, 'cause if one boolit sneaks into the case, it WILL NOT CHAMBER!  Tried it before hand. 

Annealing?:  My tests revealed 4.8-5.0 gr Trailboss + 200gr boolit seals quite well, so I've standardized on 5.0 gr.  I'm also revisiting the need for 'full length' resizing.  Chambers in New Vaquero's & Marlin 1894CB are different for sure, so think I'll go thru a bunch of cleaned brass & try them in both to see what's up.  IF all goes well, then retracting the sizing die is in order, eh.   

P.S.  Is this a great forum or what?

Offline Hans Christian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 06:46:51 AM »
That Lee 90697 is a better choice for a all purpose pistol/rifle bullet. With your case annealing and light Trailboss load, it sounds like you are in business!

I have tried the neck size only route with 45 Colt with poor results. Finally invested in a Redding Dual Ring sizing die. Case splitting dropped dramatically in our non-annealed cases. Cases sized in the dual ring fit the chambers in all of our pistols and rifles without complaint, something I could not rely on with neck sizing alone.

The 200 gr SWC load I described above is great for pistol. I agree that a crimping groove is desired for rifle ammo where reliability is paramount.

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
Casting LEE #90697 update:

In 2 hours of actual casting, I produced 1023 pills, that seem to average 216gr., using smelted/fluxed CWW's [clip-on wheel weights].  They drop nicely into a cloth funnel I sewed, which I bungy corded to the water bucket.

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
Casting update:
Here's 1,023 216gr [CWW's only] pills from my LEE #90697 mold.  Shot practice & one SASS event, & they worked fine, pulling one patch thru & bbl was clean as a whistle.  They shoot a bit 'smokey' from the vaporizing Xlox lube, but that just adds a little realism, eh.

Someone cautioned me that I might have to seat these deep to fit inside the cylinder, but I did not find that to be the case.

I can't speak to long range accuracy.  I was curious, but my sight didn't come close to the mega mils elevation needed.  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com