Author Topic: HRA 1860 not igniting primers  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HRA 1860 not igniting primers
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:20:54 PM »
I have a HRA 1860 henry. This past weekend while shooting it wasn't reliably igniting the primers. Every two or three rounds it would take two hits for it to fire. I've occasionally had misfires with the gun since I've owned it but nothing this bad. I fired several of the same rounds in two other rifles with zero problems,so I don't think it's my reloads. The firing pin moves forward when hit. Any idea what the problem may be.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: HRA 1860 not igniting primers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »
Sounds like too short of a firing pin, or an under powered main spring. If your comfortable you could try tightening the mainspring tension screw if it has one check a diagram. Its also pretty widely accepted that cci and remington primers are harder to detonate than winchester and federal fyi. Good luck

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:20:59 PM »
I don't think the HRA rifle has a mainspring tension screw.  But make sure the screw attaching the mainspring hasn't come loose.  I'm assuming the gun is stock with no spring lightening?  Cock the hammer back (rifle empty) and push forward on the rear of the firing pin extension.  It should move forward and then back from spring pressure smoothly without feeling gritty or hanging up.  Various crud or burrs in the bolt could cause that, or a sticking firing pin.  Maybe too short of FP like Galloway said, or too strong of a FP spring.  Excessive headspace?  Lots of possibilities. And while some primers are harder than others, a stock action should pop anything.  The fact that it had some misfires when new is a little disturbing, but since they are getting worse something is happening.  

Are you absolutely sure you don't have any slightly high primers in your ammo?  Firing on a second hit is consistent with that.  That the ammo works in other rifles could be a statistical thing unless you shot a lot of it, or else they just whack the primer harder.  

On the other hand, if the main spring has been lightened, it is probably too weak.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:49:55 AM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »
My Uberti Henry 1860 (all I could afford) pops Wolf primers every time. Sometimes i do have problems with a lightened main spring in a RM conversion, Pietta i think, and those cups are hard as a rock.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
The HRAs are expensive.  It sounds like you are not that familiar with them.  They have a very good warranty department.  I would call them and see about sending it back.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
If the gun is OEM , un-modified.... Contact HRA
they will stand 100% behind it

I was typing this when Larson responded

Mine did that once, just once...I tried the round an another Henry (Uberti) , and it fail to fire ...bad round
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »
Piling on .......... Sorta ........ But ......
Plus one to Abilene   :D

First place to look is Head Space.  Optimum is .004  Anything over .009 - 0010 is questionable.  Excess head space will cause erratic
ignition.
Firing pin extension.  You want 50 thou firing pin extension beyond the face of the Breach Face of the Breach Block (bolt) when the
firing pin is fully forward.
I have not be inside an HRA Henry.  Firing Pin and Extension Rod ala Uberti??  Clean the firing pin channel and the return spring.  Return
spring may be too heavy.
Extension Rod??  If it has an extension rod, check for drag where it enters the back of the breach block.  MUST be smooth.  A full length
winchester style must also be smooth.  The extension rod should travel drag free thru the frame.
Hammer Drag.  Insure the hammer travels freely.  No Burrs.
Main Spring.  Reduced?? it's too light.  Stock??  Tang screw may have backed out.

You stated this problem has existed since new.  Why haven't you contacted HRA and sent it back???  HRA is VERY VERY good concerning
warranty work to make something right.  You may be will advised to contact HRA and send it back now.

Coffinmaker

Aw POOP.  I was also typing when Pettifogger and Major 2 responded.  Consensus is "Contact HRA and send it back."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
Major Two (Smudge  ;D)

Does the HRA have the same firing pin arrangement as Uberti??

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 10:41:07 AM »
arrangement ?  yes ...exactly no

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »
Thanks for all the replys. Yes I know of Henry's repair service I've used them before, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong or if someone else has had similar issues as well before I called them. It's had the problem since I bought it about a year ago, but nothing like it is now. It was misfiring about one in fifty rounds or so if that , now it's almost every other round, thought it may be my reloads or primers. I was using winchester and cci primers but changed to federal, which I understand are the easiest to set off. While examining the gun to see if everything was working one thing I noticed is when the hammer falls the brech bolt moves slightly forward. If I drop the hammer again the second time it doesn't. Could this be the reason the primers don't go off the first time. Thanks again for the help.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
If your comfortable do it disassemble the rifle completely and clean and reassemble you may find the issue.

I disassemble all my gun and detail clean them regularly and I shock on some of the things I've found and how much crub gets in everything.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 05:04:01 AM »
This one ( lower ) has seen north of some 800+  44-40 round granted mostly factory but from 3 manufactures , however it has seen
a reloaded box of BP as well....
The Black Hills is a 200 Grain RNFP, The Ultramax is also 200 Grain RNFP and the Magtech is flat nose 225 Grain pill. The Black Powder loads are full case ( no filler ) 32 grains of 2 FF topped  with a 200 grain SPG lubed flat nose lead bullet.

one failure , early on, I think about the 3rd round of  Ultramax , after trying to to set it off with to two hammer drops & also trying to fire in in one the picture Uberti's it still failed to fire ... conclusion dud primer after disassembly (several days later ) ;)

I can't stress enough, call HRA , get them to send for it....get it done ....for a far more harmonious outcome... they might even send a new rifle  :-\
Yes.... they are that good on Service and Customer relations.

I have no dog in the fight... HRA related or otherwise ...   

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
Contacted Henry there sending a shipping label. Will let you know how every thing turns out.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 04:17:20 PM »
Contacted Henry there sending a shipping label. Will let you know how every thing turns out.

Hopefully they will provide an explanation of what the problem is/was.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 07:05:39 AM »
get it back yet ...Cody ?

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
Major
  I got the gun back last week. Had time to shoot a dozen rounds through it last weekend, there were zero misfires. Plan on shooting more later this week. Not for sure what the problem was but  I noticed they did change some parts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com