Author Topic: The Day That Trigger Died  (Read 4610 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Day That Trigger Died
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
I suspect that many of you are fans of Roy Rogers as I am.
Wonderful Memories!

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: The Day That Trigger Died
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 02:23:28 AM »
Darn dust.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
Thanks, w44wcf, that video was very moving. A good reminder, also, to not forget about the values they so proudly stood for. Amen to you, Roy and Trigger!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:33:06 PM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
Roy was the first cowboy I saw as a little kid.  8)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
If you happen to be in Denver and want to see Trigger's "twin", just go to Sports Authority at Mile High stadium (at least until somebody buys naming rights from the Denver Broncos; then it will be called something else...).  Atop the stadium is the rearing bronco, which is a fiberglass duplicate of the form made when Trigger was stuffed after he passed.  The horse above the stadium is white. (On the other hand, pay NO attention to that rearing blue critter with the glowing red eyes that you will pass on the way to Denver International Airport.  If that artist isn't in a rubber room, he oughta be!  :o :P)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
I recall, bt cannot find, an ancient magazine article ( or TV interview?) of the time, interviewing Roy & Dale
regarding having Trigger & Bullet ( their german shepherd) tastefully "mounted and put on display" since he could not bear to just stick them in the ground.

Roy said when he died he wanted to be stuffed and join them! Dale laughed , slapped his shoulder and exclaimed
"Oh, Roy!"

here they all are:

no, that's not really Roy.

here is more "stuff":

Fortunately RFD TV bought them for display when the museum in Branson went under.

Roy Jr, & the family had to liquidate as they were losing money due to the poor economy, lack of traveling tourists , and lack of interest as us old pharts pass on. Roy Senior even told him, don't get emotionally attached, if the museum is losing money, sell it off and move on! Oh, Roy ...

http://www.horsenation.com/2012/03/19/horses-in-history-stuffed-horses/
After Trigger died at 33 in 1965, Roy had him mounted in his iconic rearing pose. The most famous stallion of TV and the silver screen took up residence, along with Roy’s dog Bullet and Dale Evans’ horse Buttermilk, in the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans museum in Branson, Missouri until 2009, when the museum was forced to close because of mounting debt and dwindling visitors. The entire Roy Rogers collection was auctioned, and Trigger sold for an astonishing price of $266,500 to rural America’s cable darling, RFD-TV. After the purchase, RFD-TV announced its plans to tour Trigger and then have him permanently displayed in the station’s Omaha headquarters (along with Bullet.)

Bullet, the Wonder Dog, from The Roy Rogers Show

For six television seasons (1951-1957) and 100 episodes of The Roy Rogers Show, Bullet, the Wonder Dog, did everything a good dog should do. He alerted Roy when bad guys came near, he chased the “black hats” when necessary, and he stepped in to rescue the show’s stars, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, when they needed help.

Bullet was fast enough to keep up with camera shots of Roy galloping on Trigger in pursuit of something, and he was smart enough to help Roy and Dale when they were in a fix.  When not performing, Bullet lived a fine life as the pet of Roy and Dale.

I could not find anything about Bullet's age... Bullet's AKC name was "Bullet von Berge"
Born 1949

but oh hurrah here are some pages:
http://petcaretips.net/roy_rogers_trigger.html
http://www.royrogersworld.com/dog-bullet/
http://piperbasenji.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog-named-bullet-and-horse-named.html
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2031

Trigger died at age 33 in 1965
Bullet died when?
Roy passed in 1998  [  Leonard Slye (1911-1998) ]
Dale passed in 2001 [ Francs Octavia Smith (1912-2001) ]

Damn it, now my eyes are sweating.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com