Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 06:01:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 2017 GAF Grand Muster--150th Anniversary Red Cloud's War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 GAF Grand Muster--150th Anniversary Red Cloud's War  (Read 14407 times)
Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:38 pm »

Several friends of mine use to do a "White Indian" impression for reenactments and living history events from the F&I Wars into the early Federalist time period. Their impressions were great!
A major aid was adopting a hair style for the native American tribe that had taken then in. Most of these were Eastern tribes, and that hair style could vary greatly. To the point of shaving most of, if not part, the hair off their heads.
I don't recall them dying their hair if it were lightly colored. They weren't playing Native Americans but rather captives raised by the Indians. However, they did use body paint in the style and colors for that tribe. All of this was well documented.
My best.
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Good Troy
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:13 pm »

Thanks Blair...wish I'd have thought about this before the dye job!

Scotty, as for C&B pistols, how about a Remington with spare cylinders?  I'm considering this route, but may need a pack mule for the spare cylinders if my revolver shooting doesn't improve over last muster!

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »

Just a passing observation...
Hurricane, if it is the brew canned in "By God, Texas!", has 8% good stuff in it over the normal, or as some say, regular brewskies 3%. Hurricane also is the same or near-same recipe for what us oldsters from the 60's (read last century) called malt liquor, the small can with a Bull on it. Hurricane has a solid flavor and is enjoyed from the Gulf Coast up North through the Corn Belt here in Ioway. It has taken a while for it to become as popular as the old brands from the 60's but local consumers have been buying multiple cases to keep the economy going upward, so far so good! It takes a real positive attitude to consume a case a week but somebody has to do it, so there!
Congrats on your new job Del, I can just see the local grandmas stopping in to get a gallon of milk and leaving with a smile and 4 new recipes, HAH!
Best regards and don't drink and drive after a few Hurricanes or you'll be thinking off-road and hollering "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
'Ol Gabe

No worries about me drinking any more, gave it up years ago, the ICE stuff has been slushed and the slush removed to do the same, old German idea.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 07:52:26 pm »

Milwaukee's Best Ice  there is reason it's  $.99 ...  it is malodorous ...read stinks .... if one can get by the putrid smell , it is like Schlitz
will leave you with a sick headache ...it is cheap drunk though. 

I haven't seen Hurricane Malt down here ...though I don't really pay that much attention.

I have friend & ex coworker  , that got into Micro Brewing as a hobby ..now he is has changed his career ...and is a Lager & Ale Distributer for Shipyard and other malts.

Well you could join some of them for Paul Masson brandy and a Tropical Fusion Swisher, 2 shot bottles and a 2 pack of seegars will set you back about $3.25, tax included. Grin

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »

The beard coloring products definitely colored my beard years ago, but the color didn't seem to be one that occurred in nature.

Unfortunately, although my hair is pretty evenly "Salt & Pepper", the beard/mustache is pretty much just salt. If I could get some salt & pepper beard color, it might make me a more believable Foreign Legionnaire. Or 1914 Sailor. Or pretty much anything in uniform. Grin
ira scott
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

AKA: Broken Nose Scotty

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 09:19:24 pm »

Troy, I think the Remington would be good with spare cylinders, but would it be as good as SPARE GUNS? Pull a Josie Wales on Red Clouds boys!

It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Bat 2919
G Man / Bat Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2016, 09:45:43 am »

Never had mine dyed or permed, never will.   I did get it cut just before the muster, should need it cut before the 2018 one again.

Driving me crazy, needs to grow out a little more so I can tie the back, new job don't allow hats or bandannas. 

Working in a Qwik-Shop in the poor part of town, and loving it, the people are fantastic, almost every color and creed, except few of the Yuppie folks, glad of that.   Been told many times I'm now part of the hood, they all know my name. 

Need to bring you guys something called Milwaukee's Best Ice or the one called Hurricane, must be good stuff, sell lots of it and it's only 99 cents for a 24 Oz can.   

Del,

I've been working in "the hood" for the last 25 years and Malt Liquor in one container or another has always been very popular.  The 40 Oz. bottle of Old English (O E is the most poplar around here but they all come in a "40",  Mickie's, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, St Ides, etc., etc.) is our most popular improvised weapon.  It's simply always at hand whenever our residents feel the need express themselves and didn't bring their Glock.  It's also appropriate for all occasions, from a domestic to a street fight.

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:48 am »

Years ago in Whiteclay, the 24 oz. "Double Colt .45" was the drink of choice among the natives.  Seemed to keep them lubed up pretty well!

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:42 pm »

Colt 45 is still drank by the older ones, the younger tend to go with the others.  Had a very old lady unhappy the other night when we only had one can of Colt 45. Wink

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Bat 2919
G Man / Bat Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 02:55:32 pm »

Just remember that when one of the denizens of the hood points his Glock at you demanding the meager contents of the till, give it to him with a smile and don't try to be a hero.  Believe it or not the company will fire you if you interfere with getting him out of your "Stop and Rob" as quickly as possible.  They'll fire you just as quickly if you forget to use the drop safe and end up giving him too much.

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:34 am »

Just remember that when one of the denizens of the hood points his Glock at you demanding the meager contents of the till, give it to him with a smile and don't try to be a hero.  Believe it or not the company will fire you if you interfere with getting him out of your "Stop and Rob" as quickly as possible.  They'll fire you just as quickly if you forget to use the drop safe and end up giving him too much.

Oh I know that, to be truthful the Hood is a poor section but doesn't have that much crime, that's in a different area and we are so busy there, we are not as good of a target as other stores, usually 3-4 customers in there at once. 

Did get hit with a counterfeit bill tonight, who counterfeits $2 bills?  Well someone did.   Roll Eyes

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Good Troy
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »

I hope to get my registration off before I die...which could be soon, as Mrs. Red may hurry that along.  Hopefully, she will be understanding as to why I bought an Armi Spencer Carbine in 56-50 on gunbroker.  Of course, most everyone on this forum understands that it was necessary so that I could be period correct for the 2017 Grand Muster....right??  It with my Remington NMA will make for a fine combination for Red Cloud's War impressions!

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »

I hope to get my registration off before I die...which could be soon, as Mrs. Red may hurry that along.  Hopefully, she will be understanding as to why I bought an Armi Spencer Carbine in 56-50 on gunbroker.  Of course, most everyone on this forum understands that it was necessary so that I could be period correct for the 2017 Grand Muster....right??  It with my Remington NMA will make for a fine combination for Red Cloud's War impressions!
A Spencer carbine is on my bucket list.  Wink

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2016, 07:09:12 pm »

I hope to get my registration off before I die...which could be soon, as Mrs. Red may hurry that along.  Hopefully, she will be understanding as to why I bought an Armi Spencer Carbine in 56-50 on gunbroker.  Of course, most everyone on this forum understands that it was necessary so that I could be period correct for the 2017 Grand Muster....right??  It with my Remington NMA will make for a fine combination for Red Cloud's War impressionse]
Sounds TOTALLY reasonable to me!

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
ira scott
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

AKA: Broken Nose Scotty

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2016, 07:20:57 pm »

The General did a fine job of repelling hostiles at the recent Ruckuss at Racoon Forks with his Spencer! (at least at MOST times it was faster than a muzzleloader!) 

It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Good Troy
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2016, 08:31:49 pm »

Mrs. Red's only comment was "I hope it is okay.  I hate buying something without seeing it, first".
I didn't reveal the price to her....I just told her that it was "expensive".  I'll have to ease the reloading supplies on at a later date...will get expensive since I don't cast!

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »

The registrations are starting to role in. Don't be the last one standing when the music stops. Get yours in today!

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Gripmaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2017, 10:27:32 pm »

General, Due to a chronological deficiency on my part, I need to be either reminded or reprimanded concerning the disposition of my registration for the up-coming Grand Muster.  Could you please rectify this situation and at the same time give us a listing of those already registered (looking for reprobates in the ranks).

In His Service, 
LTC Montgomery Little, GAF Senior Chaplain
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:23 am »

Good point. I'll get a list put together this week. As I recall your name wouldn't be on it at this point

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:05 am »

I am going to get the registration in the mail tomorrow. Already have reservation at Wild Life Inn, same as last year.

This year I am going to bow to the inevitable and not signing up for the shooting, just a banquet ticket.
I do plan, though, to bring an odd assortment of firearms to play with while in camp. (I have a front stuffer Plains rifle I've been wanting to demonstrate my ineptitude with . . ., and a Govmnt .45 I'm working up a load using cast lead bullets.)

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:08 pm »

Sounds like you may be having a rider from the River City!? Cheesy

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:50 am »

Still haven't heard any response . . .
 Huh

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »

Oh, yes, and he should have been home 2 weeks ago  Roll Eyes

Good Troy
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:26 am »

Got my reservations at Wild Life Inn today.  I think I got the last available room.  Hopefully, I'll get my registration off by the end of the weekend, and there will still be openings for the match.  If not, I'll work in a support role. 

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »

Several weeks ago I was asked for a list of  officially registered participants. Here's what I have so far:
Pitspitr
J Dawg
Neiderlander
Ltc. Long
Mike Schroeder
Broken Nose Scotty
Coy Wolf
Good Troy
River City John
Kit Peak
Bat
Quickfire
Capt. Little
Sagebrush Burns
Dr. Demento
Johnson Barr
Oklahoma Tom
Scruffy Skip
Wooly Dan
Dutch Al
Drydock
Dusty Tagalon
Rattlesnake Jack Robson
Col. Diamond
Silver Creek Slim
Cactus Rope
Trinity Iron Wrangler

There are Several more from whom I have not officially received a registration, but that I am fairly sure are attending. Then there are several more who have expressed interest, but I'm not at all sure they are really all that interested so we could pretty easily be pushing the cutoff mark.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 2017 GAF Grand Muster--150th Anniversary Red Cloud's War « previous next »
Jump to: