Author Topic: Question for the Serious Colt SAA Colletctors  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Question for the Serious Colt SAA Colletctors
« on: June 25, 2016, 05:26:24 PM »
First, I do not own a Colt of any kind.  Wish that was not true but...

I have read just about every reference book about SAA and studied them since 1979.  Do not have Kopec's book, yet.

But my question centers around a new piece of info I came across in a new book I bought 'The Peacemaker and it's Rivals an account of The Single Action Colt' by Parsons.  I had never heard this before that I remember but on page 89 he states that on special order guns the Handles could be "of oak, maple, ebony, rosewood or sycamore, or of buffalo horn, ivory or mother of pearl."

I have seen pictures of original with the last two materials, obviously.  Now, I could see using rosewood, oak, ebony and buf horn but I cannot remember ever seeing these items on pictured guns.

But have Serious collectors ever witnessed some or any of the listed 'other' materials on original 1st gen SA as original manuf not after market modern alterations?

Just curious!!!

editted for clarity.
Black River Smith

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question for the Serious Colt SAA Colletctors
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »
Do not use Parson's book as a guide.

If you want an 'encyclopedia' on the oddball questions that arise from time to time,  - get Keith Cochran's 'Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedia', and it will really help.

Buy Kopec's and the others if you're really serious about building your reference library - you'll need them.

Collecting SAAs can get to be tricky - arm yourself with solid references.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com