Author Topic: Stepping back in time - 1873 oversized Winchester & pure lead bullets  (Read 4416 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
............The rifle: Original special order 1873 Winchester made in 1882
.........The barrel: oversized >.4365" dia breech /.4335" dia. muzzle / somewhat rough
The ammunition: replication of the original b.p. ammunition / pure lead bullets (.426") / 40 grs. b.p.

Even though I have experimented in the past with b.p. in this rifle, it was mostly with bullets that fit the barrel.
Recently I had an interest in stepping back in time to the original owner in 1882 and wanted to see how the rifle performed for him then using the only ammunition available at that time which was factory loaded with 40 grs. of b.p., and had a thin card wad between the powder and a pure lead bullet.

For the test, I used some original W.R.A. Co. .44 W.C.F. headstamped cases. 40 grs. of Swiss FFG powder was used and compressed .20". A .04" thick card wad was then placed over the powder and a pure lead 427098 bullet was seated and crimped.

Just as it happened back in 1882, the pure lead bullets bumped up .010" to fill the oversized bore and produced the 50 target below.

I am sure the original owner was very pleased.........as was I! ;D
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Very nice looking Winchester. Has that rifle been reblued? It looks absolutely beautiful. I have sent you a pm regarding oversized bores in old rifles as I did not want to hijack this thread.
wMI
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
That rifle appears in excellent condition. Obviously it shoots well.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Is the tang site original to the rifle?  It is beautiful.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
W44WCF
Great thread, will add this to my notes if I may.
great looking rifle.
Thanks
Buffalochip

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Wm1, Thank you.  Actually the rifle has very little blue remaining. The pic was taken an hour or so before sunset so it looks better than it actually is.

Tascoe Joe,  I wish it was original to the rifle but is is a modern day Lyman tang sight.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
I can see the lighter coloring of the blue if I tilt the computer screen a little. Still looks really great. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com