Author Topic: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT  (Read 16310 times)

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 04:23:57 PM »
I always have to adjust when shooting black (or sub) or factory Remington Gun Club 1 oz target load.  The black powder loads are far gentler than the smokeless.

And yes, Coffenmaker,  I'm somebody else when I'm somewhere else.  I've been Bibbyman for a long time - long before I was a Cowboy Action Shooter.  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
Bibbyman,
Thought so.  Thank you ever so much for your most excellent information on the use of 10Ga plastic wads.  I do cut the end of the wad
off to a 1 Oz load length though.  A nuisance, but I like the shot right at the top of the shot cup.  I don't really know why.  I just like
the shot at the top.  Sometimes, I'm not wrapped real tight.  I do strange things.  FUN things.

I have also loaded a box at the square load I started with, but re-introduced the OPC.  This is all so scientific you see.  Simple.  Load
shotgun.  Pull trigger.  Shotgun does not blow up ...... most excellent.  Peek thru smoke to see if target went down.  Target down, more
excellence.  Target not down.  Teach spectators and posse members new words.  Start process over with changes.  Repeat as necessary.

Most folks do not understand, "Target Loads" for shotguns, are not reduced nor "mild" loads.  Designed to break clay bird (just try and cook one tender to eat) at 30+ yards.  Target loads have lots of chutzpa.  Way more than we need.  Or want.

Working on the next chapter.  Coming soon, same Bat time ..... Same Bat channel.

Coffinmaker

Ah FISHY??  FISHY ::)  Wait till I describe YOUR deodorant  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
THE SAGA CONTINUES >>>> or >>>>> Welcome to HARMONIUM GARDENS   ;D  Yessssssssssss  Successssssssss!!

Well, thanks to Bibbyman and several others, my latest foray into the dark world of All Brass 12Ga and APP has had a most HARMONIOUS
outcome. 
Halfway thru a multi day match today.  I are a tired puppy.  I digress.  I started the day with three loads, ALL using 10Ga plastic wads, and.
The "and" is the fun part.  One partial box is/was loaded with 50Gr 2f APP, a 10Ga wad cut for a 1 ounce payload and over shot cards.
Initially, this load seemed a little ...... anemic in my TTN.  Two boxes  loaded with 50Gr 2f APP, an Over Powder Card, then the 10Ga
plastic wad cut for 1 ounce payload and over shot cards.  And last but not least, one box with 60Gr APP, Over Powder Card, 10Ga plastic
wad cut for a 1 ounce payload and over shot cards.  You will note I said "over shot cards."  Cards being plural.  I use two 11Ga Over Shot Cards, NO glue.

It would seem, the Over Powder Card has returned the amount of chutzpa I sought.  Nice loads.  BOOMBA!!  LOTTA SMOKA!!  Would appear the shot patterns at around 8 inches.  Nice.  Gotta use the front beade  This is the load with 50Gr APP and Over Shot Card.  It
works very nicely.  Except the right barrel of my TTN doesn't like my All Brass with pistol primers.  Several miss-fires.

The 60Gr Load is ...... stout.  Lotta chutzpa.  Lotta somka.  Similar shot pattern at 8 inches.  Same occasional miss-fires.   Gonna go thru the gun and trust it just needs a new Main Spring.  Gotta lotta rounds thru it.

The 50Gr load with no Over Powder Card that seems anemic in the TTN is the KATZ MEOW in my very light Antique J P Sauer with it's
2 1/2 inch chambers.  No excessive recoil.  Good chutzpa and again a nice pattern at about 6 inches.  Front beade very necessary.  The
J P Sauer also has Main Springs from hell.  Those suckers will set of artillery rounds.  A little slow to cock but DEAD RELIABLE.

After 6 full stages switching between guns to test ALL the loads, at the end of the day, cleaning revealed absolutely NO SNAKESKIN.  The
only thing in the bores was powder residue.  Cleanup was super easy.  Shot the bores with my secret formula, ONE patch and PRESTO
CHANGO >>>> Sparkly bores.

So my search has ended.  I have a really great load for the J P Sauer and a really great load for the TTN.  Really easy to load/re-load,
quick to re-load and ........ TA DA >> NO SNAKESNOT in the bores.  Wunderbar .. BOOMBA!!

Finish the match tomorrow.  Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Coffinmaker

Advertising

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
My Dear Coffin & Friends

I have been watching this thread will great anticipation! Thanks for all the fish all the info!

Since deliverying the killing blow my notice at the day job and severing the heads from the hydra repudiating any and all former knowledge getting out of that mess, I intend to be following in CM's footsteps in the next few years months weeks; that is, once I  shovel thru the shite re-organize the mess, find all my brass & paper shotgun shells,  and get my shop back together!

Coffin, I suspect, but cannot prove, that you have avoided the lametable plastic snot via the use of APP. Since I finally found two bottles I will try it in a few applications and see how it goes. Otherwise, and with any luck , I may be able to repleneish my True BP supplies at the two local upcoming rondesvouz ....

yhs
prof ( sorry, can't help ya, i don't work there anymore) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I must let the Fish digest, before I explore comments. ;D ;) Burp !  ???

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

I shot 6 stages with my TTN clone - Colt 1878 - yesterday.  No missfires.   I did shoot over one knockdown but all others went down as ordered.  ::)

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Coffenmaker,  you say you had several misfires with one barrel?  Well could be a weak spring.  I had trouble with my CZ-USA hammer coachgun but cleaning the firing pin and cavity fixed the problem.   

Also,  how are you priming the hulls?  If however you're doing it ends up with them flush with the base,  they may not be bottoming out in the pocket.  I happened onto a used MEC 600 12 gauge loader.  I took the primer cup and chucked it in my lathe and turned down to post to large pistol diameter,   I had some primed hulls that I put through the MEC with smaller post and you could actually feel a few seating deeper.  It wasn't much but if the hammer strike is marginal,   it could make a difference.

The springs are so heavy on my Colt that I don't know if I need powder or primer.  The hammer fall should be able to knock the shot out of the barrel.   

There is a chance TTN springs would work in my Colt.  I don't want to go butchering around on the originals.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
   Bibbyman,
Well, I suspect it may be a weak Main Spring.  Like I said, Lotta rounds thru it.  I prime my Hulls on my Drill Press.  I have a Brass Mandrel
turned to fit all the way down in the hull.  Just shove it down with the Quill.  Pretty easy to do.

Same Same the Main Springs on my J P Sauer.  Main Springs from hell.  I do not however want to go messing with them until I can find
a source for a replacement set first.  Maybe two replacement sets.

Not sure if TTN mains would work on your Colt.  I've never had an actual Colt in hand to inspect and/or compare parts.  Be worth a try
though.

Thank You again for your help with the 10Ga Wad help.  Works super well.  Patterns well enough that chokes are unnecessary.

Coffinmaker

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Very interesting, gents ! Best thing I've found for BP / subs and plastic components is vinegar Windex and a tornado brush.

T4t

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
Well piffelfritz.  I never came back with the results of my trials and tribulations.  Figured it out ...... finally.  I kept getting occasional fail to fire with ALL but one of my doubles.  That one is a J P Sauer antique with Unimog springs.  DID NOT have the problem in any of the guns with conventional plastic ammo, commercial or reload.  Suddenly ...... my All Brass loads .... miss-fire.  Anyway.

As it turns out , the problem was primers.  Using my drill press to seat the primers only insures the primers are flush with the bottom of the case, not necessarily bottom'd in the pocket.  Created the miss-fires.  Picked up an inexpensive Lee Classic 'cause it has a primer seater that works a real treat.  Tried the cases in my most lightly sprung Hammer Gun and not a single fail to fire with the cases that the primers were put in with the Lee press.  I think I can safely declare problem solved.  However, after multiple tests, I rather doubt the neighbors kat will ever be the same  ;D

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com