Author Topic: New member-Sharing my father's .45-75 pictures  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New member-Sharing my father's .45-75 pictures
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
Newcomer, and I shoot everything from .45-70 Springfield Trapdoors to modern day AR 15's. NRA member since my first deer growing up in Minnesota at age 9 in 1969. There are no safe queens in my two gun safes and no virgins. :)

My father is on the back half of his 80's and lives 1751 miles away in Minnesota. He's been hinting that if I drive out, rather than fly out, I'd be taking that old rifle home with me. I don't feel right about claiming it just yet, I hope he lives to 100+. It is an addendum to his family trust so there is no worry about it coming my way once he's past. This was one of his many rifles I never fired when I was a kid growing up before moving West at age 18.[/img]

I'd like to reload some .45-75 rounds for him so he can shoot his old rifle. I plan to do that this summer and when he visits this fall I'll present him with 20 rounds, low pressure loads.

A little history of the rifle before I show the pictures, in his own words:
"Serial # 57XXX, The rifle is King's Improvement, Patented March 20,1866 ....October 20, 1880. Round Barrel, Interior Brass Shell Feed and Extractor. with Lever Action. Rear fold down Elevated Sight. It is really in good shape for its age and has never been refinished. I bought this gun in the early 1940's at around 12 years old and used it as a youngster for deer hunting....at my Grandpa's Resort at Cass Lake, MN.

During the second World War there were not any new firearms for sale. My Uncle Ed who was a traveling salesman bought it in Iowa from one of his customers before he was drafted into the Second World War. He use to take me deer hunting and put me in the woods somewhere on a log while he went off and tried to chase deer my way. I paid for it from the money I made at that early age by taking people out fishing from my Gramp's resort on Cass Lake. It cost me a whole $10.00 that was a lot of money for a kid in the 40's. So basically that is all the info I have on it."

I have since found out with some research and local experts in the Winchester field that he has a rare collectible if I am not mistaken. Either way, I made sure he was insured up to $20k for the rifle on his insurance rider. I am sure you folks know more about this rifle than I do as my expertise area, as green as it is, is in Trapdoors. I welcome you to share your thoughts!

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New member-Sharing my father's .45-75 pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
oops, forgot the letter!

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »
Sweat!!
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:46:04 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
Very nice! thanks for sharing.
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Garret

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »
Welcome Big Mak and thanks so much for sharing your pics and the rifle's backstory.  The rifle in in beautiful condition and it's so great you are getting it set up for you and your Dad to join in the fun!  Outstanding!! 
All the best to you!

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Thank you. Dad has taken good care of this rifle over the years. He takes care of the wood and the oils it once a year.
He stated he hasn't shot it since 1945 so next time I visit I may slug the barrel.

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
Started the reload journey for Dad's rifle last month.

Bullets: Bitteroots Components 350 gr .458 dia, SPG lubed bullet
Brass: JBA .45/75 (Annealed slightly)
Primer: Federal Lg Rifle Magnum
Powder: 64 volume Pyrodex RS (41.9 grains weight) low pressure load.

See text above each picture below

Bitterroot 350 gr .458 SPG lubed bullets

I started off with a flare of .004 to accept the .458 dia bullet

A Drop- tube was used to add 64 grs of Pyrodex RS Select into shell casing, leaving .440 between  neck base and top of cartridge. Then a John Walters .060 vegetable wad was added and compressed with a Montana Precision Swaging Compression Die. to .500 allowing for another 1/8 inch of compression with bullet seating.

After adjusting the bullet seating depth on the RCBS die set, I added the proper crimp to the crimp groove. You can see the taper crimp in this picture. OAL is 2.250. (I cannot chamber cast the rifle since it is 1739 miles away. So I have to go with what Winchester published back in the day.)

The final bullet, cleaned up, ready for Box Presentation. 19 left to go!

Size perspective: The '45s' cartridge family. .45ACP 230 gr, .45/75 350 gr and .45/70 500 gr (old cartridge)

And the final presentation "Stage Coach" box of .45-75 bullets. I created a montage of generations and put that inside the box lid along with a .45-75 "bullet button"

And hopefully a test shot with Dad's rifle when I get back there this fall/winter.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
That's really cool.  :)
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
That Sir is a job Very Well Done!! 

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:34:54 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
Big Mak,

I would like to caution you.  Pyrodex is extremely corrosive.  Extremely corrosive.  immediate and thorough cleaning is required after using that stuff.  And .... I do mean IMMEDIATE.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Really nice rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com