Author Topic: Should it stay or should it go?  (Read 12480 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Should it stay or should it go?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
Abilene,
I full well understand, YOU may full well had a very harmonious experience with YOUR rifles.  I try to address issues based on having to
deliver several HUNDRED guns that will run a full match, Smokeless or BP, despite the owners best efforts to distain care and attention.

There are several Smokeless powders that will gum up just a bad if not worse than PB.  Uberti chambers run the gamut from generous to
a manhole.  Blow-by in straight wall cases, especially 45 Colt is a concern.  The answer for competitors in CAS is not a compressed BP
round with a 250Gr bullet, or a heavy load of whatever smokeless and a 250Gr bullet.  Besides, that recipe doesn't work in all cases (pun intended).  Powder fouling is a concern and for that reason ......... EVERY....... maker of competition Short Stroke kits include Positive
Slam Down in the basic design of their Carrier Block Arm.  EVERY maker.  Why not add it to a stock throw rifle.  It only makes good
sense.

I never had occasion to accept an original example with the screws loose.  Obviously, folks lost the art of running around with loose screws.  Original examples were in fact over sprung.  It was done to compensate for early spring metallurgy and primers that took a
ruddy great whack to ignite.  Where was I going.  Oh yea, I remember ........

Don't be too quick to distain a modification that has proven to most beneficial to many, just because you feel you don't need it.

HEY SLIM  ;D
44-40, 38-40 and 32-20 run clean enough to take a licking and keep on ticking without much help.  Straight wall cases on the other hand,
no so much.  To gain any kind of "speed" advantage, at my age, I don't even think PEDs would help  ::) :P
 ;D ;D\

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Coffinmaker, I'm not saying that positive slamdown is a bad thing.  But I think that came about with short stroke kits, and there were thousands of action jobs done before those days that did not include PSD, and they seemed to run okay.  But beginners or folks who are less competitive may find that they don't need a lot for their guns to work fine for their use.  If they have problems that would benefit from a PSD, then by all means have it done.  I'm sure that the carrier springs can be run even lighter with the PSD if that is what the user wants.

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »
Pards,

Positive Slam down?????

What in the wide, wide world of sports is that?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:13:27 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »
Pards,

Positive Slam down?????

What in the wide, wide world of sports is that?

It is a modification to the lever so that when the lever is closed, it forces the carrier down.  Otherwise, the carrier depends on the carrier spring to cause it to go down when the lever is closed, and if the spring is too light and/or you have enough fouling in the action between the sides of the carrier and the frame, the carrier can get "stuck" before it makes it all the way down which will tie up the action.  Coffinmaker has posted recently with some pics to show what is modified on the lever, perhaps a search for "positive slam down" will find it.

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the information pards. Been busy this summer and unfortunately, I did not get to shoot any matches all summer. But summer is almost over and I will shoot this fall. Been working on the rifle this summer also. I screwed up my courage and finally took it apart. It is not as bad as I had feared. I installed a set of Slix Shot action springs, did a little polishing to remove burrs, added some STOS grease on the moving parts and man what a difference. It feels like a totally different rifle. I guess the next big step will be finding and installing a lighter main spring. Any recommendations? I am seriously considering installing a short stroke kit also. I know I probably don't need the short stroke kit, but I like the idea of not having to stroke the lever so far and I want to see if I can install it myself. I sure am glad you pards talked me out of sending it out far a slick up. I am pretty good at working on my own guns so this has been an adventure for me.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 03:18:33 AM »
Slim the mainspring down a little along its full length. When grinding it do it length wise to avoid cross ways grinding marks. Take off a small amount then try it. It is amazing what a difference that makes. I've had really good luck with Pioneer SS kits as Joe will talk you through any bumps you might encounter. Check your headspace before you order a SS kit as you can get links to correct any issues there when you order a SS kit. wM1
PS Hold the main spring in your bare fingers when grinding and go slowly when it starts to get warm dip it in water to keep it from losing its temper.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com