Author Topic: Single Action Army in 32/20. Why!!!  (Read 18544 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Single Action Army in 32/20. Why!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
It's a round that can do what most needed to do and still can today, and in that era the ammo was cheaper than the other four.

What I find funny instead of using a perfectly good 32-20, how many seem to want to make their 45 Colts into something it was never meant to be by using light bullets at barely enough speed to exit the muzzle, now that makes no sense to me when smaller calibers do the job with out all the hassle and problems.  Guess some think a mouse phart load in a 45 makes your danglers bigger cause it says 45 on it. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
Might get 2 or 3 out of 100 SASS shooters that shoot MF loads nowadays. At least in the half a dozen+ states that I shoot in. Included in that would be EOT, WR and several state championships. One of the Cowboys that I shoot with did go to lighter weight bullets in his 45's. Just so he can put more powder in.
My better half runs a little over 1200 fps in her rifle. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
Might get 2 or 3 out of 100 SASS shooters that shoot MF loads nowadays. At least in the half a dozen+ states that I shoot in. Included in that would be EOT, WR and several state championships. One of the Cowboys that I shoot with did go to lighter weight bullets in his 45's. Just so he can put more powder in.
My better half runs a little over 1200 fps in her rifle. wM1

Just going by the posts that I see asking how to do it. 

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:58:57 PM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »
Abilene,

I guess I should have deleted the comment about the custom order.  I made that comment first then went and checked Wilsons Colt book where the table listed that all long flute guns where manufactured in '15 from middle of year to late year serial #'s.  But not all 1500 revolvers were 32/20's.  They were any caliber that the 1878 frontier was made in that Colt would have left over parts when they stop production in '05.  See the link below for a 45 long flute.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/930973752/1914-Colt-SAA-Long-Flut.htm

Here is one in 44Russian/44Spec.  Plus the text explains how they came from 1878 parts inventory.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1262-358/

Here is the google search images for Colt SAA long flutes.  You can find several calibers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colt+long+flute+SAA&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP5JLQ6M7NAhWMx4MKHU6YAuAQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=

Galloway,

I did not realize that you meant that they were not popular 'now-a-days' and that is why they are for sale.  My mistake in understanding your meaning.

I am sorry about starting any derrogatory statements about CAS use of this caliber 'as a weak' cartridge.  That was not my intent when I made the CAS reference in my original posting.  The comment was only meant to indicate that this caliber enjoys a following of CAS shooters now-a-day which accounts for it high replica productions and sales.
Black River Smith

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 06:26:58 AM »
Major2, very interesting story and history.

Thank you, glad I didn't high jack the point, just answer'n' my take on your question  in part "Why"

Photo's   Dad's  Hand ejector 32/20   & my Marlin NOS circa 1989 94 in 32/20
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:53 AM »
Just going by the posts that I see asking how to do it. 

5 years ago I would have agreed with "poof ting" but I think most folks have found out hits are easier to see and hear with a better load. Guns stay much cleaner also. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
Black River Smith, thanks for the additional info about the long flutes.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »
I've been hunting rabbits all summer with a 32wcf 1873 winchester clone and can attest to its poor performance. I just fired my 200th shot, all at game and have only collected about 40 total. They run off when hit and i find blood and fur in the brush where they were upon examination. The 44wcf anchors them even when hit in the stomach almost every time. So I'm also kinda wondering where this cartridge ever really shined myself? My only guess is the soft swagged bullets of the era opened up better than my soft cast 20:1's do today. And perhaps the round performs better on larger game (oddly) due to it being able capitalize on a longer wound channel of denser muscle and bone as compared to little soft bunnies.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
It's a round that can do what most needed to do and still can today, and in that era the ammo was cheaper than the other four.

What I find funny instead of using a perfectly good 32-20, how many seem to want to make their 45 Colts into something it was never meant to be by using light bullets at barely enough speed to exit the muzzle, now that makes no sense to me when smaller calibers do the job with out all the hassle and problems.  Guess some think a mouse phart load in a 45 makes your danglers bigger cause it says 45 on it. ;)

That's why I shoot 32-20 for cas.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
Galloway,
Thanks for adding your experience to this posting.  It is interesting and makes me even question more, why the cartridge was so popular back when it was introduced for hunting and pest control.

Cliff,
I agree with both you and Del about the reducing of cartridges.  I never did do that or abided its' practice.  I shot full 45's for the first 7yrs in CAS.  First 3yrs in smokeless then BP thereafter.  The rifle was 44Mag dupilcating the 44/40 velocity then an original 44/40 in full BP, in conjuction with full BP 44/40 pistols.

The only downloading I did was to use an 1872 Open Top in full 44Russian rather then a 1873 SAA copy for the Originals Category.
Black River Smith

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
Interesting because I use a 32 mag in a SSM with a 5 1/2 barrel and use the Lyman 311316 flatnose and it knocks the crap out of everything up to at least coyotes.   MV is 1250 fps.

Now the Lee Tumble lube has a sharp point and it ain't no game bullet and never planned on it being one.  Actually I looked and the newer version has a flatter point, my 30 year old mould has what is often called a crayon point, very similar to the swaged Hornaday one, but even sharper.     

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »
I've been hunting rabbits all summer with a 32wcf 1873 winchester clone and can attest to its poor performance. I just fired my 200th shot, all at game and have only collected about 40 total. They run off when hit and i find blood and fur in the brush where they were upon examination. The 44wcf anchors them even when hit in the stomach almost every time. So I'm also kinda wondering where this cartridge ever really shined myself? My only guess is the soft swagged bullets of the era opened up better than my soft cast 20:1's do today. And perhaps the round performs better on larger game (oddly) due to it being able capitalize on a longer wound channel of denser muscle and bone as compared to little soft bunnies.

That's odd. Are you using a RN bullet? I mean all my life I've never thought anything of shooting rabbits with a .22 LR as it has always worked for me, and have even killed a few feral dogs with it.

As far loading a large caliber down for CAS I see no problem with it, within reason. If you choose a large caliber strictly for CAS then load it down, that makes no sense to me. Just use a smaller caliber. But if your large caliber shooters might use their firearms for other things. I chose the .44 Special for CAS knowing the same firearms with which I competed would serve utilitarian purposes around the place. So, I load mine down for CAS because I see little need in hurling 260 gr. chunks of lead out of my revolvers at almost 1000 fps at target a few short steps away.

Back to the original question, I wonder if the 32-20 was popular due to lack of smaller cartridges for small game? If I'm not mistaken the .22 LR didn't arrive on the scene until around 1887, so there would've been few choices for smaller calibers.

CHT

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »
Around that time for 22 LR although there was the 22 long, short and a couple others as well as the 32 RF's.   As a note, the 22 LR was developed by Stevens as a 200 yard match cartridge.   

As for the 32-20 it was considered a deer round with in reasons, I would not hesitate to use one today where legal with in reasons.  Remember the largest typical whitetail buck on record was killed with the 32-20's little brother, the 25-20 WCF.   
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 12:27:47 AM »
Im using the lyman 311008 which has a pretty good meplate ratio. Now if hit proper it has put them right down, but Ive also seen them take a shot and run off in the bush at closer ranges. I've shot them out to 100 yards with around 50 being the norm. I aim center mass as they're such a small target with iron sights and often partially obstructed. But no matter how I look at it, the shots fired to kill ratio is much better with a 44. The 3 in the picture were all got at once at about 30 yards, and all 3 required multiple closer range follow up shots.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »
The 311008 is basically the 311316 with out a gas check, with my 32 mag at 1250 fps I'v never had a rabbit, squirrel, feral cat, woodchuck or coyote complain about a good hit and I'm using WW sweetened with tin.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
You've had better luck than I have, and this is my first year with the cartridge so we'll see. The next time you miss one however have a look where they were, you might be surprised. I've seen the same thing with 357 swc's hardcast driven to 1500fps so it comes as no surprise to me honestly. Small non expanding meplates driven at high speeds equal dead, but lost game in my experience.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »
Pretty much any I've ever missed I see the bullet strike off target, had the problem with 22 LR solids and don't small game hunt with them anymore, haven't hunted with a 22 except my Hornet since I got the 32 mag.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
It might be the likely extra 250 or more FPS I'm likely pushing.   

Got a DEWC load that runs about 1500 fps that I've never tried on game because it don't do good at distance but sure hits hard on a water filled pop bottle.  Tried it for fun because I never been able to make it work at normal WC velocities, weird.  Takes bowling pins down like a major caliber.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline gs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »
I think the 32-20 gained popularity after the frontier days were pretty much over.   Less big game and more pest and varmint issues.

Probably cheaper ammo at that time and easier to shoot.

These are just my thoughts and should be taken with a grain of salt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com