Author Topic: 45-60 for buffalo  (Read 3600 times)

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45-60 for buffalo
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:35 AM »
Does anybody know if the 45-60 lever action was ever used in buffalo hunting?

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: 45-60 for buffalo
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »
I don't know of any documented use of 45/60 lever gun back in the day. Considering that the cartridge was around and nearly any thing might be used by any one that had a chance to shoot a buffalo then maybe. On the other hand a hunter intending to hunt them would be better served with a more powerful round. The 45/60 was introduced in 1879 so that was the tail end of buff hunting and by that time long shots were more common. Also the 300 grain bullet at 1271 fps would be less ideal for the large animals. I would doubt any professional hunter would use the 45/60 when better suited tools were at hand.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Yes, that's kind of what I was figuring.  The 300 grain bullet seems kind of small for buffalo, but i could have sworn I read somewhere that the 45-60 was used.  I just wondered if anybody else had heard or read that.  Thanks for the reply.
                                                                                                                   Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:34:43 AM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
I've shot several buffalo with original 1876 Winchesters in .45-60, .45-75 and .50 Express.  All of my hand loads duplicated the original black powder factory ammo for charge and bullet weights.  Distances were between 110 and 127 yards on a range finder.  Four animals were taken with the .45-75, two with the .50 Express and one with a .45-60.  The .45-60 and .50 Express performed about the same, with the Express being slightly better and the .45-60 being the worst of the lot.  Bullet weight was definitely a factor in killing power with these two calibers.  The .45-75 was by far the best caliber of the three I've used.  The heavier bullet weight and powder charge really worked well out to roughly 130 yards.  At 127 yards, the buffalo was just slightly quartering away and the bullet entered low and just behind the shoulder blade on the left side and stopped between the shoulder blade and the hide on the right side.  The buffalo simply dropped and never moved. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Was the question whether a .45-60 was ever fired at a buffalo, or was the question, was it chosen as a primary arm by a professional hide hunter. I wasn't there so I am going to quess. Likely a few casual hunters used it if an opportunity to pot one of the few remaining animals.

However, I have never heard of a levergun being chosen as a primary arm by a hide hunter. Can it kill a buffalo? Buck says it can, but as I read his post, i'ts performance was less than stellar.

In British Columbia there is a "limited Entry Draw" for wood buffalo. Minimum power levels are set by law, and a .45-70 passes only at levels unknown to blackpowder.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:11:53 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies.  I was asking whether the 45-60 had EVER been used, not particularly as a primary weapon.  I was just curious to know whether it was indeed possible.  I don't intend to shoot a buf but I was wondering if it were even an example in the "old days".  I am an old codger, and grew up going to a wildlife refuge in Southern Oklahoma, where buffalo abound, and it always seemed to me that a 300 grain bullet from  45-60 would be iffy, at best, but like Buck said in his post, it was the worst of the lot.  Thanks again for the knowledgeable replies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com