Author Topic: Looking at getting started into Zoot Shooting  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Looking at getting started into Zoot Shooting
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »
Zoot Shooting looks like a blast! I've got the hardware to start, now I need to know how it's done. Being that there's no mob, that I know of,  in Wisconsin, I will have to use the internet to learn the game. As you can tell from my Avatar, I come from the Cowboy Action Game, which not only has a rules book, but there are rules on how to interpret the rules!!

Ok, are the long guns staged loaded? In Cowboy, we load the shotgun under the clock, other words it's staged unloaded and open.  when you are done with a long gun do you restage it loaded, safety on, pointing in a safe direction or do you show safe to the RO at that point?

Scoring, when using the paper action pistol targets, are they scored just a hit or do you get points for the different scoring rings?

There's three of us in our Cowboy Posse that have the gear, maybe we can get something going here in the cheesehead state!!

Reed Van Ness aka "Two-Bit Charlie" aka "Machine Gun Charlie"

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking at getting started into Zoot Shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Suggest you go to www.zootshooters.com . Should answer most of your questions. This is the site of AZSA the American Zoot Shooters Association.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
Zoot Shooting looks like a blast!
It is!

See this thread:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,44871.0.html

Ok, are the long guns staged loaded? In Cowboy, we load the shotgun under the clock, other words it's staged unloaded and open.  when you are done with a long gun do you restage it loaded, safety on, pointing in a safe direction or do you show safe to the RO at that point?
I think all of these questions are addressed in the above link.

Scoring, when using the paper action pistol targets, are they scored just a hit or do you get points for the different scoring rings?

When using paper targets let's say you're told to "Whack them wise guys twice" you are required to put two hits on the target. You can shoot it as many times as you like until you get the hits you want. Hits outside the "A" zone are so many down and add time to your score. I don't recall the exact numbers, but hopefully G-Man will find your post and further clarify my attempts at answers.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:18:22 PM »

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 01:21:12 AM »
The American Zoot Shooters Assn. was started by two USPSA/IPSC shooters in Colorado who have moved on to other things and left the sport in my hands.  Most successful clubs have been started by cowboy shooters so you're in good company.  The rules as referenced above explain most of this but I'll try to answer your questions.

There's three of us in our Cowboy Posse that have the gear, maybe we can get something going here in the cheesehead state!!

Many of our shooters started with multiple lever action rifles or revolvers (SA are OK too) so the gear is easy.

We're always looking to help new clubs get started around the country and we would sure love to have a club in Wisconsin.

Ok, are the long guns staged loaded? In Cowboy, we load the shotgun under the clock, other words it's staged unloaded and open.  

Guns equipped with a safety (by 1949) may start with a round in the chamber and the safety on.  An 1897 shotgun or lever action rifle must begin with an empty chamber and loaded magazine as they had no safeties.

when you are done with a long gun do you restage it loaded, safety on, pointing in a safe direction or do you show safe to the RO at that point?

When you "abandon" a gun in AZSA it can be loaded with the SAFETY ON or ACTION OPEN (even if it still has rounds in it) pointed in a safe direction (long guns many times are left in an open top barrel pointed down so you can move in front of it) no need to show it clear to the RO.  Revolvers may be abandoned hammer down on an expended round.

The "A" or "B" zones are where you want to hit on paper targets.  You're best hit (or two hits if double taps are required) are all that are counted for score (you can shoot a target as many times as you wish).  Rounds in the "C" zone adds one second each to your score and rounds in the "D" zone add three seconds.  

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you guys want to get some thing going and we'll get your shoots listed on the AZSA web site.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »
Thanks guys for the information, it was a great help. I have a better idea on how to do a caper.

One more question, what is the difference, if there is, between a mob and a precinct?

I shoot my new "Tommy Gun" last night, was that a blast.

Thanks again!!

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
The only difference between a Mob and a Precinct would be if your new AZSA club would like to be perceived as good guys or bad guys.  We've got several Mobs shooting around the country and only one Precinct.  Everybody wants to be a wiseguy, go figure.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com