Author Topic: Shoot BP in '58 Remmington conversions?  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Lucky Cuss Russ

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shoot BP in '58 Remmington conversions?
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:57:35 PM »
Just lookin' for info...  Does anyone shoot BP in their '58 Remmingtons with either R&D or Krist conversion cylinders?  How does it work for you?  What boolits do you use?  How do you keep it from binding up?  I read in another forum that someone was using a Krist Uberti cylinder in a Pietta revolver (after checking with Krist folks first!) to provide enough cylinder gap for the fouling.

Regards,
LCR

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shoot BP in '58 Remmington conversions?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 07:00:24 PM »
I have the R&D cylinder for my Uberti Remingtons but I don't use it much. It's just not as freewheeling as my percussion cylinders. However, here is my fix for the binding problem: After charging my chambers & greasing over the balls, I put a single drop of Ballistol oil on the front of the cylinder where it contacts the frame and i jiggle & rotate the cylinder so as to work the oil down onto the cylinder pin. This keeps them twirling effortlessly throughout the match.

The C&Bs were never drempt to be fired in a sustained manner. They were a replacement for the single shot pistols & supplemental to the sword so you got SIX shots instead of ONE and that was a major advancement. After six shots if you wanted more firepower you holstered more revolvers. Reloading during battle was not expected nor convenient. I've heard that there was no documented case of a Confederate irregular cavalryman (Quantrill, Bloody Bill Anderson type) ever being killed by a Union sword during battle. They carried 4 to 6 revolvers (occasionally a sawed off shotgun) each and shot their way out of danger or in a pinch used a sword.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:11:57 AM »
  LCR
  I have both Kirst and R&D cyls. Like K. better but if need to load 6 use the R&D. If you dont mind shooting Pyrodex , I use a Georiga arms 200g bullet in a schofield case in the kirst . Have to use a filler wad w/ the R&D and 45LC. Over the powder i use a little Puff Lon (see BPC News). At the GAF muster I shot 4 cyls in one stage, 1 gun, no problems. This was out of a Pietta 58.
                                                                                                                             jt

Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:47:18 PM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:08:44 AM »
It's been a long time since I shot BP in a conversion! I sold my early model Kirst to a pard that pestered me to get it fer a long time. However, my experiance with it was a very pleasant one! And ease of maintainence during a match was major factor fer me. Cylinder binding was never a factor because the Remington design made it a simple task to pop out the cylinder and wipe out the fouling at the unloading table, then pop it right back in.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:32:40 PM »
LCR, I just finished my first year of shooting nothing but 58 Remmies with R&D cylinders. 30 grains of APP 3f under a 250 grain bullet. A spritz of Balistol at lunchtime and I was good for the rest of the day. Give it a try, you'll like it.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:30:45 PM »
I shoot BP (either Goex 3F or Pyrodex P, whichever is available) in my conversion.  Full load .45LC cases (app. 35 grains of powder) with a 250 grain RNFP bullet.  Shooting Cap n Ball I load 30 grains of powder with a wonder wad and .454 round ball.  Lots of boom and lots of smoke.  The cap n ball shoots POA at CAS distances, the .45LC conversion shoots about 1" high. 

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:43:16 AM »
Keep a squirt bottle of simple green in your guncart and use it each time you roll out the cylinder after your first 4 stages. I use Pyrodex  or APP for lack of anyone in this area selling Holy Black. I understand that Goex's Pinnacle contains graphite and that eliminates the binding problem. My problem, none of the Gander Mountain stores  or any other gunshop in my area handles it yet, and I cannont afford the HAZMAT!   http://www.powderinc.com/ Is a good source of BP Boolits, and http://nationalbullet.com/ makes a really nice 180 grain lead bullet that works well with APP.  :)
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 10:52:27 AM »
Jubal,

A good way to reduce the Hazmat hit is to get together with some other pards in you area and place an order for all of you. Most places will allow a mixture of grades and/or manufactures in a order. The Hazmat will probably average out at less than a $1.00 per can.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 09:56:56 PM »
Good thought Bull I'll look into it.
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 12:38:58 AM »
I'm shooting a '58 Rem. with a Kirst 44 Rem conversion. I shoot the original load from Rem. 248 Grn bullet 30 Grns BP(Elephant2 FG) in 44 Colt Brass. I shot 4 stages, pistol targets only as I only had one pistoland no rifle or shotgun. I serviced the pistol after the 3rd stage, but believe that with 2 pistols I can shoot 5 stages without any binding at all. With only one pistol doing all the work it slowed down a might during the 3rd stage. I lubed the bullets with SPG.
I'm trying Bore Butter now and lubing the pistol with NO petroleum based oils.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Lucky Cuss Russ

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. on fouling and BP.   Sounds like my Remmy will do fine with BP.

LCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com