Author Topic: Could this be an early USPtFA  (Read 10172 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Could this be an early USPtFA
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/561567765

Found this on Gunbroker. Definitely not a Colt frame, but could it possibly be an early USPtFA gun fitted with a Colt Barrel? According to the seller there are no Italian proof marks anywhere on it. Opinions?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Could this be an early USPtFA
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:47:05 PM »
I won't venture a guess on the entire gun, but unless the photography is real really wonky, that is a Pietta Grip Set on it.

Coffinmaker

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:52:21 AM »
My money is on the ASM with the Colt barrel

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:15:04 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »
I saw that gun and was briefly attracted because of the BP frame. The goofy back-trap configuration turned me off, which brings to mind a question. Anyone know of a source of more "Colt like" back-straps and trigger-guards, as spare or replacement parts?

Dave

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
You may want to look at Pietta or Uberti.  I think the Piettas are closer.  VTI Gun Parts sells both

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »
Up until the more recent production runs, the Pietta Gripsets were .......... wonky.  The butt of the old build Pietta 1851/1873 guns looked
more like a Trombone Bell than a pistol grip.  New manufacture Pietta, looks very .......... Colt.

Pietta Gripsets require quite a bit of fitting to mount on a USFA, Colt or Uberti.  Uberti and USFA are very compatable, however, the chances a Gripset from one will simply "drop-on" another is ......... remote.  Each Gripframe and Stocks Set are fit to each individual gun
during manufacture.

Coffinmaker

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Looking at the pictures it's clear it isn't a Colt. The grips did look wonky but the only Pietta I have has more Colt style and not that flare at the rear. I was looking at the knurling pattern on the hammer and it looks just like the pattern on a Nettleton USFA that is also on Gunbroker, and without any proof marks visible is why I asked. I don't plan on bidding as I have way more than enough 7 1/2" 45s (I know, I know, you can never have too many).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »
Remember folks, everyone wants to find a Rembrandt in their attic.  Or cheaply priced from someone else's attic.  Then there are those
whom try real hard to peddle .......... a faque, or is it Faux??  Lie like a Rug to snare the unsuspecting Rembrandt seeker.

Coffinmaker

Some years back, is was quite common to find Defrarbed, re-marked and antique'd reproductions being peddled to the unwary as
Gen-U-Wine real "old Westy" Colts.  Many even included a carefully beat up gun belt. 
Be Careful Out There

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
Quote from: GaryG
My money is on the ASM with the Colt barrel

Mine as well.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk