Author Topic: 1860 Spencer  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Old Vagabond

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1860 Spencer
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »
Hi,

I am researching an 1860 Spencer.  The Springfield Research book gives the following information.   

#55016 & 55022 were issued to the Company D of the 7th Illinois Cav. 7-65
#55015 was a listed in Co. M of the 1st Alabama Vol Cav.  11-64

The number I am researching is #55012.

I haven't nailed down the date of manufacture.   I getting the Springfield information via a buddy so I haven't gotten  the book in hand yet. A near as I can see #55012 was manufactured after 3/65 so 11/64 date seems incorrect.

I have been in touch with the 1st Alabama group and they have records of the 1st being issue Spencer's late in the war but no details.  Can anyone in the Spencer Society add anything to what I have found to date.  By the way I was surprised to find out the 1st Alabama was a Yankee unit.  Never under estimate what you don't know.

Thanks for the help

Old Vagabond
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1860 Spencer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
O V,

First question I have for your request for information is...
Does your carbine have Inspectors cartouche (may be more than one) on the left side of the wrist, just behind the carbine sling?
The cartouche will indicate it was indeed inspected and accepted into US Ord. Dept.
Without this cartouche, it may mean the arme was a private perches?

The date of manufacture maybe very difficult to guestimate. Those records just have not survived if they were ever kept at all.
Many arms after acceptance, were either in transit and/or kept in various destination points, some times for several months before they reached a safe destinations for issuance to the unit and/or troops.
I hope this helps.
My best, 
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Old Vagabond

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
Thanks Blair,

MMJ (Martin M. Johnson) & DAP(Dwight A Perkins)

I also have a mistake.  The known serial number went to 1st Alabama and the 6th Illinois Cav. not the 7th

Tom
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:33:53 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com