Author Topic: Actual Jobs You have Had that may relate to CAS, Plainsman, or even Earlier  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
So, you are the one that tunes those saloon pianos to sound tinny?   ;D

I cattle rustled as a kid.
Had to maintain the family garden, the dairy farm next door never liked to fix the fences.
One day, one of the cows got out and trampled the garden.  I held her for ransom

:o If you hear a piano that's in tune in a western, it's not historically correct! There wasn't a whole lot of piano tuners out west! Interestingly enough though, most of the piano players had tuning hammers and had to at least learn a little out of necessity. Those pianos had to become practically unplayable at some point! ;D
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
:o If you hear a piano that's in tune in a western, it's not historically correct! There wasn't a whole lot of piano tuners out west! Interestingly enough though, most of the piano players had tuning hammers and had to at least learn a little out of necessity. Those pianos had to become practically unplayable at some point! ;D

Opernokerty tunes but once!  ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Third generation Wyoming cowhand/rancher.  Have run a trap line, have drove teams on a wagon. Done a lot of the  stuff folks have fantasy of doing. It's not near as romantic as it seems from the outside looking in. ;)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
The Army was pretty close, but as a teenager, during the summers I lived as a 19th Century kid. When not working in the hayfield, I wandered around the valley (and hills sometimes) with a .22 or a fishing pole. No licence or supervision required nor expected.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89

Opernokerty tunes but once!  ;)

Yep, heard that one and also You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish! ::)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Actual Jobs You have Had that may relate to CAS, Plainsman, or even Earlier
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
Not long after I started commercial under water salvage diving, (1967\8) a TV program came out "The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau". (Called "Sharks".)
The opening segment of the program showed what looked like a diver in a full wet suit being attacked by a Shark!
Well, this caused my 'pucker factor' to go well above the 10 scale! A lot of sharks off the east coast of Fl.
After watching the whole program it turned out, this was an old wet suit filled with dead fish, not a living human.
From that day on, I fell in love with this program.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 07:06:04 AM »
Wore a gun belt and a badge for 21 years, even had a hog leg in the holster, fully loaded!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
Cowboy, school teacher, gun shop employee (including about 12years atThe Flintlock In Hobby City, Anaheim, CA), guest speaker at numerous high school history classes at Santiago HS in Santa Ana, complete with a number of guns (imagining THAT being allowed today), author of two published western novels and another dozen or so still in various stages of completion and all the research that it involved, co-owner of a cowboy clothing shop, and a lifelong fan of cowboy movies going back to The Cisco Kid, Roy and Dale, Hoot Gibson, and a host of others, and a shooter from about age six on.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
Military (Loved That), Master Wookworker/Cabinet Maker (Loved That), LEO (professional target), Gunsmith (Loved That). 
Absolutely the number one bestest job ever is ...... TA DA ..... RETIRED.  No Boss, No hours, No pesky co-workers, do what I want, when I want, the way I want.  I realize it's a tough gig, but someone has to do it.  That someone is ME!!

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com