Author Topic: Pietta buggered screws!  (Read 2224 times)

Offline powwowell

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta buggered screws!
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
First off, let me apologize for all the questions. I'm an older fellow, but I have a new interest the Pietta 1873 SAA revolvers. I have one in .45 Colt and I liked it so much, I then got one in .22lr.

This post is a question about the screws used in my revolvers. I thought I had a decent set of gun screwdrivers. They have worked for years, on all makes and types of firearms. But, I have managed to bugger up a couple of the Pietta screws.  :-X  Is there a place to purchase "harder" screws? Thanks in advance.

And. I have read that there is a company that sells better cylinder pins, than the factory ones. Polishing the cylinder pin on the .22lr has helped, but it is still a bear to put the cylinder back in the frame.
Small holes are better than zero holes.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Pietta buggered screws!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »
I have never seen anyone offer "harder" screws for the Pietta.  They aren't needed.  Once the screws are out the first time they will come in and out easy after that.  Don't know how a "better" cylinder pin will help in putting the cylinder back in the frame.  If it is a tight fit it is going to be a tight fit with the aftermarket pins which are usually a couple of thousnads larger.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
Plus One to Pettifogger.  Or .... just piling on.  Spent years working on Pietta guns.  Buggered screws were not a problem unless some
ham hock brought me a gun to fix that had been attacked with Sears screwdrivers.  The better choice for screwdrivers are the hollow
ground screwdrivers from Brownells.

Also, I must agree, after a careful "first removal" Pietta screws go in and out with no problem.  If you need replace some buggered screws,
contact VTI Gunparts.  They will have an ample supple.  About 3 Bucks each.

The cylinder pin and bushing should be quite snug while turning freely once installed.  It is some times a little "fiddly" to get the alignment of the pin through the frame and aligned with the bushing.  Patience Grasshopper.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:31:22 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
"... I'm an older fellow, "   ;)

who ain't ?

BTW  two of the best have just answered your questions .... You'll have to decide which of the 3 of us the two ARE  ;)

see what you latched on to ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline powwowell

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
Thanks for those who have shared their knowledge. I appreciate it.
Small holes are better than zero holes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com