Author Topic: Where To FInd Substitutes in AZ  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Where To FInd Substitutes in AZ
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Digging up an old thread here but I'm thinking about trying 777 so I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can.

Reading between the lines of these comments it sounds like 777 is just as corrosive as Pyrodex. 30 years ago I gave up on Pyrodex in BP cartridges as too corrosive and switched to black powder. Am I re-inventing the same broken wheel in trying 777?

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Dave,

Actually ........ YES.  Same wheel.  Same busted spokes.  Pyrodex and 777 are and always have been corrosive.  Very corrosive.  At'z why
I use APP.  Easy peasy to clean up, makes it'z own lube.  Plus, I have 36 pounds of it.

The only other suitable smoking propellant is Plain O'l Black Powder.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »
Coffin guy, it may be all that you say it is but I can't find it for sale any where here in the desert SW. Admittedly I haven't check every possible retailer but in searching I found out this afternoon Cabela's no longer sells it. If I can't find APP wonderful doesn't do much good (LOL).

Dave

Advertising

Re: Where To FInd Substitutes in AZ
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:06:42 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
I don't use APP but there are a ton of pards in the Phoenix area that do. They shoot at Rio, ACSA, Cowtown, Prescott, Cottonwood, and at Tombstone. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
Yea, there must be a source around here somewhere. Because of my disability I've been doing my search from my desk, either on the computer or by phone. If people around here are shooting it there must be a local source. I'll keep looking and calling. (smile)

Dave

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »
Cabellas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Brunos, BearArms on Shea and Scottsdale, or just google APP and check on their website to find their dealers. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »
Mountain man AZ,617 N Delmar, Mesa.  Bece Business Services, 14009 N 21st Place, Phoenix
wM1

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
wildman,

No offense but you should give me a little more credit than that. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse don't carry it. Bruno's and BearArms don't carry any black powder guns or accessories. Mountain Man AZ's phone number is no longer valid and BECE Business Services's phone number is a Southern Arizona prefix for a Phoenix address. You have to dial long distance, it rings twice then rings busy…and has been doing that since yesterday afternoon.

Looks like, to try this wonderful stuff I have to pay $18-$24 plus $25 HAZ-MAT fee, just to try one jar. I become more and more under-whelmed, the more I learn about APP.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
Normally, around the Really Really Really BIG BIG BIG matches, like Winter Range and up coming End of Everything er .... Trail, the good
folks at APP run a special.  Something around 16 bucks a bottle in a case lot, shipped.  That's when I buy mine.  Case at a time.  They
even split cases for me 50/50 2f and 3f.

If you had 'em ship ya a case, and ya didn't like it, you could probably peddle what you didn't use, locally, at a small profit.

Coffinmaker

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
No offense but I have seen it several places in AZ on the shelf. wM1

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
No offense but I have seen it several places in AZ on the shelf. wM1

Well they ain't selling' it any more partner!

Dave

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »
The last place I saw it was a little gun shop on the west side of Scottsdale Ave just a little south of Shea a couple of weeks ago.  Not everything for sale can be found on the internet. wM1

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Not everything for sale can be found on the internet. wM1

I can't tell if you're trying to be insulting or not, but you are (expletive deleted) close.

Because of my severe disability I can't wonder the isles of a gun show, or strand around a CAS shoot trying to strike up conversations. I'm stuck looking things up or calling to find out information and every single suggestion you've made I've either already looked up or called about. I even spent all of this morning driving up to Scottsdale to search for blocks south of Shea on the West side of Scottsdale Road. No gun shops at all where you claim. If you're jerking my chain it's no longer funny.

I'm ignoring you from now on, why don't you do the same for me.

Dave

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
Dave T
you might see if you can locate any Alliant Black MZ.
It is supposed to be APP in disguise and perhaps the Maker of Coffins could verify this.
I checked and Powder Valley has it listed in stock for $22.95 per pound plus hazmat.
The subs are not my area of expertise not because i have anything against them just because it is legal to have Gun Powder here in Texas and "Brown" delivers it right to my door.
Good luck and keep on shooting.

Yr' Obt' Svt'

Bunk

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
I can't tell if you're trying to be insulting or not, but you are (expletive deleted) close.

Because of my severe disability I can't wonder the isles of a gun show, or strand around a CAS shoot trying to strike up conversations. I'm stuck looking things up or calling to find out information and every single suggestion you've made I've either already looked up or called about. I even spent all of this morning driving up to Scottsdale to search for blocks south of Shea on the West side of Scottsdale Road. No gun shops at all where you claim. If you're jerking my chain it's no longer funny.

I'm ignoring you from now on, why don't you do the same for me.

Dave
I have been trying to help you and every time I do you insult me. I won't trade insults with you. My wife and I had lunch at DeFalcos and saw a little gun shop in the vicinity and they had APP. I will not try to help you again.
You are not the only person in the world that has disabilities.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
(mod hat on )
I split Dave's thread off as a new one, as it regards the search for subs
as opposed to discussing the " Cleaning of Guns After the Use of Pyrodex and 777"

Dave I realize how frustrating trying to find things is these days, especially if one cannot easily get out.
It has been the devils own blah blah blah trying to find *any* powder these days, altho it is starting to ease somewhat.

But Chain Jerkers are not tolerated are here - take abreath & try some decaff .
People here  are trying to help you. We can and do offer suggestions, but we can't do the shopping for you.

yhs
prof marvel
(mod hat off)

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
I don't get what I did wrong but that doesn't excuse my boorish behavior. I would like to publicly apologize to everyone on the forum and in particular on this thread.

I will refrain from further comment lest I step in it again.

Dave

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
You might try Capt Baylors web site  he is closely associated with APP and may be able to help you. wM1

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
Hi Dave -
Thank you for the gracious appology, but  don't sweat it, I have put my foot in my mouth more often than I care to relate.

And BTW the web and forums make it extremely difficult ( even with smileys, etc ) to actually communicate intent & etc clearly,
since there is no "tone" or vebal or visual ques to read.

For example I cannot tell you how many times I grabbed a lifelong friend by the arm  hollaring loudly " You Sorry S.O.B. "  and he and I were all laughing- in person, in context - .... even then some other people in the room were ducking and running.

On the web it's really bloody hard.

Now, regarding APP
------------------------------
The APP website is virtually useless - they list dealers that no longer even exist.
Welcome to the New World of the 21'st century after the Dot Com Bust.

I have a crapload of chores I don't wanna do,  so, I killed some time "doing my thing" on the web, which i am particularly  good at

I have driven around some of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the last several lustrum  and I swear finding anything is
a chore likened unto the Tasks of Hercules. I have tried to find a shop in a tiny mallish place and it was a nightmare, even with a store employee on the cell phone supposedly giving me real time directions!

there's about 8 miles of road between Defalco's Italian Deli and Shea Rd
in between appear to be a number of "little gun shops" -  some gunshops, some pawnshops, etc many of which
are tucked in to little mall strips or off to the side.
a few appear to be "closed permanently".

So I did some further even more convulted searching.
I finally found "one place" that can get it.

------------------------------
Here is a place I found for you, and I have unlimited long distance, So I called them.
APP is not "in the store" , but the nice man said you order it on the web site, and it will arrive at the store in ~ 2 weeks, and they will call you.

I suggest you call them and confirm all of that, and maybe get the guys name and maybe it in an email or something.

Special Forces Outdoors
14870 N. Northsight Blvd. #100
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

For fastest service, contact us by email: info@specialforcesoutdoors.com

Phone: 480-922-7776
Fax: 480-922-7780
Store hours...
Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm

http://specialforcesoutdoors.com/product.app-american-pioneer-super-pwdr-66?source=search
Item Info
Item ID   69907-3
UPC   854289001025
Brand   American Pioneer Powder
Model   APP-2FSP

Available    29 in stock
MSRP     $31.28
Buy Now $22.84
App American Pioneer Super Pwdr

American Pioneer® Powdersuper Powder™ - 1 Lb. Container
developed For Use W/in-line Muzzleloading Rifles & Black Powder Cartridge Firearms 
clean & Superior Performance W/flawless Dependability 
velocity Exceeds 1900 Fps W/most Thompson Center, Cva, Barnes, Nosler, Or Hornady .50 Caliber/sabot Configurations Using A 250 Grain Bullet & 100 Grains Of App Or Jim Shockey’s™ Gold™ Super Powder™ 
note: (0815067) Jim Shockey’s™ Gold™ Super Powder™ Offers A Slight Increase In Velocity.
Item Info
Item ID   69907-3
UPC   854289001025
Brand   American Pioneer Powder
Model   APP-2FSP

-----------------

good luck, hope this helps.

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »
At the great risk of stepping in it again (I said I wasn't going to do this and yet here I am doing it) I just have to acknowledge all the effort Professor Marvel went to and thank you publicly for it.

I fear I took "just a little south of Shea" to mean just a little south of Shea and spent Several hours Saturday morning looking "just a little south of Shea". I can't help but point out the Northsight Blvd. address hardly qualifies as just a little south of Shea. But see, I just stepped in it over my hip boots. I may have reached that stage of life where I am no longer trainable. (frowning face should go here)

To get back to my main point. Thanks again to the Professor for all that you did on my behalf. It was more than thoughtful and generous and sincerely appreciated.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com