Author Topic: 1876 bolt removal  (Read 3044 times)

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 bolt removal
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
Guys,
   You might remember my post from October 2014, re. the barrel on my Uberti 1876 blowing up, for some reason I couldn't fathom.  In January of 2015, I ordered a new one from Taylor's, and forgot about it.  Yesterday I got notification that it was in, and it's 70.00 cheaper than what I was originally quoted.  I can't believe something actually went down in price!  My question to anybody is: how difficult is it to take the bolt out of an 1876, as I need to replace the extractor.  It wasn't damaged when the barrel blew up, but for some reason it's broken now.  Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure itching to get the thing back together and do some shooting.  Thanks!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: 1876 bolt removal
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
It's not hard at all.

Could be a matter of 10 minutes or so if the gun has already been apart before but it is subject to take a lot longer if the Uberti gorilla last installed the screws.

More than likely the hammer will have to come out so it's pretty much disassembling the entire action.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:09:53 PM »
Cliff,
     Thanks for the info.  The gun's been apart, but not to this great an extent.  You've encouraged me to at least give it a try.  Thanks, again.
                                                                                                Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:42:47 PM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Here are some links to the disassembly.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Model66.html

As Cliff stated the taking it down is really not the problem.  Just keep track of each internal part and where it goes.  I like placing each related part in a sandwich baggie and mark them as I dissassemble the parts.

The real problem you may have (depending on your gunsmithing experience) is filing and shaping the back end of the extractor.  You must obtain the correct spring tension to hold the cartridge down and back, so it flies out and back when the casing clears the chamber and it must spring over the rim and down when closing the bolt on a casing.  At the same time you have to maintain the alignment of the extractor hole to the bolt retaining hole.  This part really must be fit properly.  The bottom curvature and squareness must be correct.  It is not just a file and polish until the holes re-mates and re-insert the retaining pin.  If it goes in real easy and the pin slides right in with no downward pressure need on the top of the extractor flat then there will be no extraction springy tension on the casing.

Good luck been there done that, do not want to do that too often.  My replacement worked for me and my issue.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,50859.0.html

PS - I could be wrong an Uberti part could be drop-in.  Someone with an Uberti will have to fill in that info.

editted: 5-22-16
Black River Smith

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
Black River Smith,
     Thanks for the info and the links.  That on with the Marine with the mustache on you tube was very informative.  My only question is:  Is it really necessary to strip it down as far as he did when all I want to do is get the bolt out?  It seems like that's a little overkill, but never having worked on a '76 before, I don't know.  Please let me know what you think.
                                                                                 Dave

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
No, I did not take the trigger nor the lever out of the frame.  I did take the butt stock off just because I wanted to see the internals and wanted to tung oil it.  It will be more managable if the butt stock is off (less table space).

Links are most important because they are directly connected. Firing pin retractor plate is a must. I do not know if an Uberti 76 has other internal parts for safety protection but check a schematics.  The Chappy is interanally just like the original but Uberti, I think, has some extra firing pin retractor parts.   I don't remember totally but I beleive the carriage lifter must come out so bolt comes out easier.

Just another trick or hint for keeping track of pins and plate or parts in general.  I use different colored finger nail polish to identify left or right side of pins and/or facing or up and down pointing of parts.  This was the first time I had to completely disassemble a Winchester toggle link and I wanted to put all the parts back exactly, as they came out, so I over-killed the id'ing.

Good luck, hope this helps and hope some of the gunsmith guys come in and give you 'experienced' guidance.  
Black River Smith

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »
Black River Smith,
     Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it was very helpful.  I'll let you know how it goes.
                                                                                      Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com