Author Topic: "Best" recommended Hamerless for CAS?  (Read 12335 times)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: "Best" recommended Hamerless for CAS?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 04:22:55 AM »
Don't worry to much about removing excess spring coils. If you do a small bag of 1/8" washers from the hardware store will provide you with a lifetime supply of shims to strengthen it.
wM1
PS that butt stock is probably held on by a screw or bolt that you access by removing the recoil pad.
    The best empty sg hull to use for buffing the chambers on a 12 ga is a 20 ga then put paper towel or cloth under the 600 finishing cloth to get the desired diameter.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
No good on the buttplate..................its checkered right into the wooden end of the stock! :o Hence there isn't any long bolt that goes through the stock that holds it in place against the frame. I like the washer trick thanks for the heads up on that one. Also I like the hulls and the paper/cloth trick  thanks a bunch! ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »
If your Spanish made double has a Pistol/Semi-Pistol Grip with a metal end cap, look under the end cap.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:58:00 AM »

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
No end cap or buttcap or buttplate................

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Wow.  NO screws, No grip cap  :o 

The Mfgr wouldn't have GLUED it on would they  ???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
I've scrolled through this thread and may have missed it but no one seems to have recommended a "best" (there is no such thing) outside hammer shotgun for SASS.  Baikals and Stoegers are serviceable.  However, the two shotguns that are the most prevalent in SASS are the SKB and the Browning BSS.  Both of these are much higher in quality that the Baikal and Stoeger.  The SKB is lighter in weight than the BSS which is built like a tank.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
Actually, if I needed to buy another hammerless (not being a top shooter) I'd get another Baikal.  Had mine since '99, got a Coyote Cap action job on it in around 2000 or '01 (back then the action job was $125).  Have several thousand rounds through it with nary a problem,  though these days it shares time with an original '97 and the TTN hammer gun.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
OMG!! I think they did!!!! I just ordered a new stock to knock this one off...........what a crazy thing :o

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »
There is a third choice. Ala Gunzilla, get a Stoeger slicked up and screw a couple of hammers on it. A hammered-hammerless, as fast as a hammerless but the aesthetics of a hammer gun. If the Henry (not the original) is sass legal a hammered-hammerless should be too. I met this character in Texas at a Cleburne match and he created some of the most creative stages that I've ever shot.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
Like they say you learn something new every day. So the shotgun Kassnar was NOT glued but rather still screwed into the stock from below and above ( underneath the release lever) once those two screws were removed the frame came apart. However, not before I had already cut a chiseled the old stock off! Ugh!!! :-[

In any event the replacement stock is only a 70$ mistake replacement and I'm in the process of fitting the new stock to the frame. Also, it turns out that the frame internals are NOTHING like the Stoeger!!! I have a leaf spring and the Stoeger has a coil spring. I'll get it sorted out but it has certainly become more of a process.

I'll get this puppy back up and running shortly. I've already disabled the automatic safety engagement , however, the manual safety engagement is still in working order. Now all I have to do is lighten the leaf spring so that it stays open and low enough so that the shells can be ejected quickly.

I guess I was due for a gun "project" at this point anyway!!  ::)

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
I suppose the good news is that I've made all the necessary modifications needed to get the barrels to go down and stay open as well as disconnecting the "automatic" safety engagement. So now I have a manual safety, which is good BUT OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I had just gotten a STOEGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a huge pain in the patuty it has been getting my KASSNAR back together.  I think the action is considered a "box lock" so I've "Youtubed" trying to figure out how the damn springs go back in........

After "launching" the springs several times into various parts of my shop, basement, and as far as the bathroom ( really far) I had to walk away from the re-assembly project once again. I've had the internal springs in both ways and up and down, backwards and forwards and just can't seem to get the darn thing back into working order. I may just bring it to a real bonafided g-smith and admit defeat. I may just buy the STOEGER "out of spite" !!!!  :-[ :P

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »
You know what the the Secretary of the Interior told Chief Dan George in Josey Wales, the indians needed to  "Endeavor to persevere."
Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com