Author Topic: Winding bobbins Cobra Class 4 or similar?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winding bobbins Cobra Class 4 or similar?
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »
So the way these industrial machines are designed to be used, they assume you are running two spools of thread all the time, with one running the top thread, and the other winding a fresh bobbin.  Great system in a factory where one machine does the same task all year long.

Most of us I would have thought only run one spool, the cost of having two of everything is prohibitive for me, and if one is switching back and forth one might not run any one color long enough to wind a spool.  So the alternative method is to wind spools with the whole machine rattling away.  I have to adjust the speed, rethread, and I just don't really like the set-up, and it is the same junk different machine with all my machines.

What I would like to have is a winder so I can run off properly wound bobbins on command in all my sizes at will, and at speed, but I don't think such a device exists.  Probably have to make something.  It does seem to me that there is a fair amount of cost to building out the winder that is on my class 4, but it is not appropriate to the way the machine is used.  I wish they would cut that part off and supply a separate winder, preferably one that would work with a few standard industrial sizes.

I imagine some people only run one color of thread, but while I use an off white most of the time, I can't use it all the time.

What do the rest of you do?  Are you happy with it.? 

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Winding bobbins Cobra Class 4 or similar?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
So I am guessing not time for Cobra to change their offerings yet.  :)  Not that this was directed against their excelent products or anything.  Just seems like all the machines that are sold to individuals aren't set up for the way we work.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
I don't have a problem with the system. I have a BUNCH of bobbins, at least one for each color and size that I run and two for white of each size. Two for black and a brown that I use more often in two different sizes.

When one runs out I spool it and let it fill while I'm sewing whatever I'm sewing. I had to run the machine to wind some when I first started but now I always have one to use. In fact seldom do I have a bobbing winding. Bobbins are cheap, cheaper to have a bunch then to have a separate winder, that way they wind while I sew.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:37:53 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
I don't have a problem with the system. I have a BUNCH of bobbins, at least one for each color and size that I run and two for white of each size. Two for black and a brown that I use more often in two different sizes.

When one runs out I spool it and let it fill while I'm sewing whatever I'm sewing. I had to run the machine to wind some when I first started but now I always have one to use. In fact seldom do I have a bobbing winding. Bobbins are cheap, cheaper to have a bunch then to have a separate winder, that way they wind while I sew.
I like this idea. It's simple and effective.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
It's not likely to happen now that I'm set up for a few combinations and colors but if I have a project coming up that I plan to sew with some thread I haven't used before I wind a bobbin ahead of time while doing other sewing.

Also if there is any chance of later confusion I write on the end of the bobbin with a sharpie marker identifying the thread on it. Sometimes the sizes are hard to tell in the colored threads.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »
I have a number of bobbins also but I agree with Massive. Might want to look here:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=free+standing+bobbin+winder&qpvt=Free+Standing+Bobbin+Winder&qpvt=Free+Standing+Bobbin+Winder&qpvt=Free+Standing+Bobbin+Winder&FORM=IGRE

If you find something that will rewind Cobra Class 4 bobbins, please post.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com