Author Topic: Uberti,made in usa????  (Read 3548 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Uberti,made in usa????
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Bought a like new "UBERTI"  off auction site,,nickel plated blackpowder frame with 7 1/2" barrel...wood grips.
The gun is marked on bottom barrel..A UBERTI ITALY 45,....But on top of barrel it is marked U.S. PT F.A.Co HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.
It has a P above the SER#119XXX ,on bottom of frame ,on trigger guard ,and on bottom of back strap,,
I would think it is an early USFA ,,but it has the Uberti safety on the hammer,,,and in all my research here, and on the web,,I never seen a USFA (even the older Uberti parts  ones with the Uberti safety on the hammer)
BTW-If this is an early USFA  "UBERTI" what is it worth? It is in like new condition with no sign of being shot(YET),,,that shot part will change within the next day because of rain,,,or it would already have been shot. ;D

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Uberti,made in usa????
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »
Willy,
What you have is a very early USFA gun.  Back when they first started out they were known as "US Patent FA."  The "patent" was dropped from their name (around 1995 or 1996) as the result of litigation from Colt Firearms.  The very first US Pt. FA guns were imported in the whole, and in the white, from Uberti and then disassembled, finished and reassembled by US Pt. FA (according to USFA).  They included the Uberti style safety hammer and various parts were marked as being Uberti.  I have seen several of these.  Second stage was the importing of parts in the white from Uberti that were finished and assembled here.  To the best of my knowledge, these guns were not marked "Uberti."  Third stage was the gradual transition to "all US made" parts.  During this period there were a number of guns that were made up of both imported and US made parts.  Fourth, and final stage, the "all US" made guns which, due to the expense of domestic manufacture, marked the demise of USFA (along with a few marketing blunders on their part).
My very first USFA, long ago discarded, was a "second stage" gun.  It didn't have the safety hammer but did have the "indent" in the hammer channel of the frame to accommodate it.  There were no Uberti markings on the gun, other than the required proof marks.
So…  What is your gun worth?  Unfortunately, the least desirable of all the USFA (and US Pt. FA) guns are those very early ones with the Uberti markings and the safety hammer.  The only value it might have would be to the consummate USFA collector who absolutely had to have an example of each phase of USFA's production.
Your very early gun was imported in the whole and in the white, disassembled, finished and reassembled to the then standards of US Pt. FA.  Most of those I have seen show them to be several steps above the standard Uberti offering.  What you have is an Uberti with a superior fit and finish thanks to USFA who, at that point, was nothing more than an importer of Uberti firearms.
Sorry if this response seem discouraging.  
So… How does it shoot?  If you are happy with it, keep it, knowing that you have one of USFA's very first offerings.  
Capt. John Fitzgerald - Forum Moderator
PS:  Stay with us here on the forum.  We would be more than happy to advise you as to any further questions you might have regarding USFA SAA's.

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the info,,I knew about the Uberti parts guns ,,but did not know they imported the guns already assembled to begin with...As for the worth, I'm not the least bit disappointed at all,,,,I bought it thinking it was just a black powder frame uberti,,,,but having the USA stamp  on the barrel   made it just that much more desirable to me,,, Haven't shot it yet because of an all day rain,,,but like all my guns, this was bought as a shooter.,,,thanks again for the info  ,,,Maybe I will look for a nickel plated hammer without the safety .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:50:05 AM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
Willy,
 Hope you enjoy your gun!  As I said, you should definitely find it to be a step above any Uberti you will find.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
I have seen a single action with both Uberti and Colt markings . As I recall , it was a .22LR prototype owned by a serious Colt collector .

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »
I have seen a single action with both Uberti and Colt markings . As I recall , it was a .22LR prototype owned by a serious Colt collector .

Just a few years ago, Uberti sent a stainless SAA to Cimarron with a rampant colt on the frame!  Had to buff it off and just use that gun as a sales model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com