Author Topic: Dragoon Problem  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Dragoon Problem
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
I am postingthis here and in the Dark Siders Den

This is a puzzle and I hope someone has an answer. The gun in question is a brand new Uberti Third Model Dragoon according to the date code was made in 2015.

I bought it brand new in the box. It was very difficult to remove the barrel from the frame but it cleaned up nicely. Installing the barrel on the frame was extremely hard requiring a few light taps with a soft hammer to seat the barrel on the frame. No heavy blows just light taps.

When firing it with 35 grains FFFg GOEX, a lubricated wad and a soft cast ball it grouped about six inches high and six inches right.
I widened the rear sight slot a little with no change in impact. Height is something I am not worried about, but right now I am using a rear sight position about half way between the original rear sight notch and the left edge of the hammer and am still not centering the group. Even with the primitive sights and my not so great eyesight I got a 20 round group at 20 yards about the size of a playing card so I am satisfied it is fairly accurate. Regulating the powder charge might improve that.

Is it possible the barrel is not in proper alignment with the frame causing the difficulty in installing the barrel and when the wedge is installed the barrel is forced off to the right? I installed a small washer in the arbor hole because when I first reassembled the gun and put in the wedge the cylinder would not turn but the washer solved that problem. I can’t find my feeler gauge, but the gun worked with no problem after 60 rounds without cleaning and the barrel clearance is quite small.

I have JB “welded” a make shift sight on top of the barrel and will cut an “eye ball” center notch to see if that brings the group to center. If it does my intention is to make a shallow dove tail on the barrel bridge and install a small sight similar to the on my 1871 open top revolver.
Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

Your obt’ svt
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Dragoon Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »
Hi Bunk  :(

I put some beginning suggestions up on the Darksiders Den for ya.  Good Luck!!

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com