Author Topic: Resonable price for a China Camp  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Resonable price for a China Camp
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »
I can't find many completed auction results on Gunbroker to determine a reasonable price to pay for a USFA China Camp.  5.5", firing pin looks USA made.  Box has no end label, but has test target, lock, etc.  Thanks for any help.  Asking price is $1,000.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Resonable price for a China Camp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:06:03 PM »
I was able to download a few images:

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »
A few more:

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:40:06 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
Joel,
I, for one, wouldn't hesitate at a $1,000 price tag on an "all US made" China Camp model in as new, or near as new, condition.
The China Camp model, named after the late (and great) Dennis Ming, was one of USFA's first "specialty guns."  They were advertised as being "certified to point of aim" and allegedly made to Ming's specifications.
One thing that always bothered me about the China Camp model was USFA's claim that the finish was their own "patented silver steel finish."  The finish was nothing more than highly polished carbon steel and there are no stain or rust resistant properties about it.  Keeping it in pristine condition will take quite a bit of care.
As long as the gun you are looking at shows signs of appropriate care and use (lack of cylinder drag marks, staining to metal, etc.), I would consider 1k to be a fair price.
CJF  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
Thanks for your response.  The pistol is headed my way as I write this.  I'll report condition, and take a few images after I receive it.  Thanks again, Joel

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
Were any other models of USFA guns "certified to point of aim"?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:09 AM »
LP,
To the best of my knowledge, the only catalog item that was "certified to point of aim" was the China Camp model.  No other models came advertised as such.  You could, upon request when custom ordering, specify point of aim certification on any revolver (there was an additional charge for this service).  I have a custom ordered, special serial numbered, gun that was certified and came with the certification target.
CJF

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:55:08 AM »
Joel,
Please stay with us!  Let us know about your China Camp when it arrives.  Looks to me as if you may have picked up a very desirable gun!
CJF

PS:  By way of correcting myself… the original catalog listed the China Camp as having a "Silver Steel" finish to which USFA claimed a "trademark," not a ""patent" (as I previously stated).  Calibers offered were "45 Colt (std.), 44 WCF, 38 WCF, 41 Colt, 44 & 38 S&W Special and 32 WCF."  The catalog goes on to state "45 Colt is the standard chambering, other calibers optional."  Barrel lengths offered were "7 1/2, 5 1/2& 4 3/4, Other lengths optional."  These quotes come directly from one of my old  USFA "window" catalogs.  The catalog also goes on to state," The CHINA CAMP is a special gun for the advanced shooter, combining the historic details of yesterday with the modern honed precision of today."
The catalog also states, "Mr. Dennis Ming, 5 time World Champion Shootist, asked US Fire-Arms, under The Famous Blue Dome in Hartford, Conn., to help him make the gun he has searched for all these years.  Dennis's many titles in Cowboy Action Shooting made him the authority."

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
I remember when these came out. I was interested in getting one until I realized they had the "smokeless frame". I was shooting rebuilt 1st Gen Colts with black powder at the time so I was heavily prejudiced toward the BP frames with the screw in cylinder pin retainer.

All these years later the same prejudice still exists. I think that makes me a curmudgeon…or something. (smile)

Dave

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »
My China Camp arrived today.  I like it - very interesting having a "bare steel" pistol.  I wiped it off for taking images, then wiped it down with oil.  The finish evens out better with a light layer of oil on the gun.  Here are a few posts with images to follow.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
A few more images:

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
I'm still learning - but the ejector housing looks Uberti, the loading gate and firing pin look USA, and I don't know my hammers yet, and I may be wrong on the parts I think I know.  The test target has a date from February of 2003.  One last image.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:54:43 PM »
The flutes on the cylinder definitely look like those on the "US made" guns.  I think that you did okay on this one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com