Author Topic: 1860 Henry Conversion  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 1860 Henry Conversion
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »
Hi Bunk
Here is how it works.  Closing the lever, the lever face "taps" the top rear of the Carrier Block Arm.  Lever side spring powers it down.  If
the front face of the Carrier Block, and or the Mortice become fouled with powder residue (matters not, BP or Smokeless) the carrier WILL
stick about halfway down.  Rifle is jammed solid.

With Positive Slam Down, the lever face stays in positive contact with the carrier blog arm ALL THE WAY down, driving it through the
gunk.  With positive slam down, the only purpose the side spring serves is to hold the carrier "up" while the bolt strips a round.

At the top rear of the carrier arm, a hole the correct size for an 8-32 set screw is drilled ALL the through the arm.  Then the hole is tapped
with 8-32 threads.  The set screw is installed with the socket DOWN and the end at the rear flat of the arm is dressed flat.  The set screw
is then adjusted so with the lever against the loser tang, there is the tiniest movement.  More what you can feel rather than what you can see.  Then you remove the screw, hit it with a drop of BLUE LocTite, put it back in, adjust it properly and let set for a couple of hours.
Following this modification, the lever pushes the carrier all the way through it's travel.  Can't jam.

If you don't follow this, let me know and I can either send you a photograph.... or ..... I'll send you a modified arm .. exchange.

Be sure and change out both of the lever side springs.  Your rifle will love you for it.  Plus, if you wear out the little cam on the lever, you
can no longer replace the little cam.  You have to buy the whole lever (sux).

Coffinmaker

PS:  Forgot.  This modification applies to any Toggle Link action.  Henry, '66, '73 .... all of them

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
Thanks Coffinmaker I understand the principle but a picture would be a big help.
 That Henry is easy to open since the side plates are dove tailed in.
I tried to get this off the forum but the Emule you have posted is not current.
Try me at
cowboy78963@gmail.com
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Well ....... Shucks. 

I sent you an email with a picture of the project.  Left to right are the Carrier Block Arms, first - dried and tapped, middle - a look at the bottom of the arm where the hole comes through so you can adjust it, right - assembled.  The set screw has been dressed flat and it
is all the way into the arm.  It will need to be adjusted out so the lever stays in contact all the way down.  When done, you can feel
the tiniest bit of movement in the carrier with the lever agains the lower tang.  Hope it helps.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:04:05 AM »

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Aw, C'mon.  The rest of us want to see that, too.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 02:41:31 PM »
Not trying to beat a dead horse (although I haven't heard the nag whinny for some time now) but who offered the 44 Special Henry in the past? How long were they in production? Any idea where I might find one?

Being a former law man I'm dis-inclined to steal one, but I'd sure like to buy one if I run across such a critter! (smiley face goes here)

Dave

I'm a bit behind on this thread.  Cimarron imported 9 of the .44 Spcl Henries some time around 2002 or 3.  Taylor's may have imported some and I think some were sold by Uberti in Europe, but I don't know any of those numbers.  I've asked Mike Harvey of Cimarron if he might order some more but he says no, not enough market for them.  I think they could sell some, but as it is they sell all of the 44-40 and .45 Henries that Uberti is able to make for them so I can understand the reasoning.

Hmm, is the plural of Henry, Henries or Henrys?  :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
The ownership of a Henry is magnetic, If you allow for inductance  ;)

Equally,  the symbol  for Millihenries is  H 

The henry is a derived unit based on four of the seven base units ...
the Formula  is  4π×10−7 H m−1

there for.... 4 -7 = Henry ,   above that I would venture , Henry's  is correct

that being said,  I have 4 Henry .... electrifying  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com