Author Topic: .44-40 cylinder?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
.44-40 cylinder?
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
Anyone got a .44-40 cylinder they'd like to trade for a .45 Colt cylinder?  I've got one to trade.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .44-40 cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
Anyone got a .44-40 cylinder they'd like to trade for a .45 Colt cylinder?  I've got one to trade.

I have 44-40 Purchased from Dixie Gun Works in 1970, along with 4.75" barrel, They are 2nd generation, I don't think they are Colt, I believe they came from Great Western Arms supplier, since the calibers listed were the ones Great Western Arms  were advertising in the 1959-1960 Catalog. Colt never offered those Calibers in the 2nd Generation.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Neiderlander,

If your unable to find a USFA cylinder, contact VTI Gunparts for a 44-40 Uberti cylinder.  Minor fitting.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:06 AM »

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »
Neiderlander,

If your unable to find a USFA cylinder, contact VTI Gunparts for a 44-40 Uberti cylinder.  Minor fitting.

Coffinmaker

The Uberti Cylinder I bought from them in 44 Special did not fit into the Frame of USFA.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:09:06 AM »
Note: " Minor Fitting".  Not "Drop In"

Coffinmaker

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:16 PM »
Note: " Minor Fitting".  Not "Drop In"

Coffinmaker

There is no fitting when the cylinder is larger in diameter, it would not fit into the window of the frame.   I was told by VIT,  EMF Hartford  (ASM) Cylinder would fit, maybe the Current GWII, would fit.  My USFA is a USA Frame.

Likewise the Uberti Cylinder would not fit into Great Western Arms (1957) Frame, Colt 2nd Generation, and My EMF (ASM) for the same reason.    The Uberti  Cylinder was from a Navy Arms SAA BP Frame, All Steel, Cattlemen.  Maybe Uberti has different specs for different Importers.

The Cylinders from GWA, EMF, USFA, Colt, are all interchangeable, perfect indexing, slight different head space, using the bushing that came with Cylinder. I finally purchased a 2nd Generation Colt, which required minor fitting, with a new bushing.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
Didja send it back and have them swap it out for ya??  I've lost count of the number of times I've fit Uberti Cylinders into USFA guns.
You may have simply been sent an incorrect part.  USFA were manufactured to the same dimensions as Uberti.

Coffinmaker

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »
What Coffinmaker said!  USFA, as I have mentioned before, replicated Uberti parts when they went to "all US made."  They did this in order to make parts for their US made guns compatible with their previously offered "imported parts" guns.  Remember, USFA (US Pt. FA) started out as nothing more than an importer of Uberti guns.
There is only one exception to this…  USFA offered a very expensive SAA that they claimed to be an "exact" Colt replica.  It wasn't.  It was their standard, slightly oversized (Uberti duplicate) frame with a smaller cylinder window and a Colt sized cylinder.  I seriously doubt that your gun is one of these.  They didn't sell very many.
Any competent gunsmith should be able to fit an Uberti cylinder to your USFA frame.  Cylinders are a "fitted" item, not a "drop in" item.  The only problem that I can see would be the finish of the cylinder.  USFA's bluing and CCH were/are far superior to Uberti.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com