Author Topic: Pouring my own.  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pouring my own.
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Hi, Folks:

There was a nice thread sometime back about metalurgy of different lead sources for
making one's own balls and conicals. The use of wheel weights usually comes up a lot.
Recently I was told that our waste handlers won't pick-up old TV-s because of lead shielding they
can't get rid of. My first thought was that maybe said offending component could re-purposed.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone done it? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pouring my own.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
Bruce,

This is just a suggestion on my part, but let the folks that specialize in melting down old electronics do their own thing. Some of this stuff can be pretty toxic.

A good place to buy lead is from a Plumber Supply.
Another source is to check is with the N-SSA, at n-ssa.org just before Spring Nationals (in May) and Fall Nationals (in Oct.). The disadvantage to that maybe the shipping cost, depending on where you live.

You may also want to check with local roofers in your area. They often save lead flashings from doing a roof job and sell it as scrap  to a Salvage Yard.
Hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
We usually buy from a local Salvage Yard. Roofers bring in pure lead as do Contractors who do X-ray room remodel.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:21:14 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
Wheel weight metal has changed.  Now wheels are balanced with zinc, steel and other metals.  It's getting harder to find good WW metal lately.  If you score some, give a 50/50 mix of WW and straight lead.  I've found that that mix makes a good casting alloy.

Mark your ingots after smelting and pouring them.

Keep on smokin'.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
Thanks, Guys....as always you have given me a lot to think about.
We have a metal salvage yard not too far from where I live. Sounds
like it may be worthwhile to stop by there. Anything special I should say
about the lead I am looking for? Turning that around are there any clues
about what I should avoid? (special thanks for that info about the WW....)

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
Both lead types I mentioned will be almost pure lead. and both will be in sheet form of some type, folded and mangled as usual. we usually buy 100 pounds at a time.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »
Roofing lead, plumbing lead, shower pan lead, xray lead are all good as are "stick on" wheel weights.
A really good source if you can find it is sewer lead. Cast iron sewer pipes were once sealed with pure lead. Every 4 foot joint had 1 pound of pure lead on it. Demolition of old offices are a good place to look. Since lead is considered toxic and the contractor cannot sell it, ask what would happen if some one stole the lead.  Often they will show you where it is and walk  away. If it is not on their lot they don't have to deal with the EPA about it.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
Stick-on wheel weights are not pure lead, maybe 75%-85%. I use them for round balls for revolvers, excellent for Conicals.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Lrfty Dude,
I recently bought some stick on WW ingots and they were pretty soft. The fellow I got them from said he'd had them analyzed and they came out at 99+% lead so I made his ingots up into .454RBs. They are nice and soft. Maybe not dead soft but pretty close and good 'nuff for the C&Bs.

Regular WWs are way too hard.

I also have decorative leaded glass scrap lead and it is too hard for the .454RBs but fine for my 45/70 TD bullets. I'd say they are about like a 1:20 alloy.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
Maybe they are softer Than I think. I know I separate the SO from the WW ingots, and make each.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
  Bruce:
 Go here:  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators  and download the lead alloy calculator. It's an Excel file that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about lead alloys including their respective Bhn's, and the resultant Bhn achieved by blending various alloys. I've found it to be very accurate based on my tests with a lead tester.

Regarding WW's, the stick-on variety are indeed very near pure lead and I treat them as such when blending alloys. Regular lead clip on WW's seem to maintain the same hardness as always, again based on results from my testing. There are however, as someone else mentioned, WW's made from other materials; most notably steel and zinc. Lots of folks get all excited about these but they're very easy to deal with. One just dumps bulks WW's in a large pot and melts them, keeping the temperature below the melting point of the zinc which is around 787° F. Lead melts at a much lower temp so this is quite easy. Once the mix is fluid, the zinc, steel and trash floats to the top of the mix where it is skimmed off and thrown away.

Regarding sources for lead and lead alloys, the Cast Boolit classified section is a great place to buy them as is eBay. I hit the tire shops of a large-ish town a few miles from me and am able to keep in WW's

Good luck,

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
I'd leave the electronics alone, that and car batteries.

I frequent local scrap yards and sometimes come out OK, other times nothing.  Most times I get some sort of alloyed lead.  A couple of scrap yards won't even sell to individuals, they just buy it.

I finally got sick and tired of hunting all over the place for dribs and drabs, and bought a pallet from Rotometals.  Kinda expensive, but a 1000 pound pallet came out to 1.72$ a pound shipped to my door.  The 100 pound ingots are not too much trouble to handle, but not easy either.  Anyway, I'm set for pure lead and it's easy to alloy up with tin and wheel weight lead.  A hardness tester is a nice tool to have as well. 

My 20-1 alloy that I use most often with nothing but lead tin mix, with 260 grain 45's cost .095 cents a round.  Also not taking into account time and electricity to cast my own.  Moulds do wear out over time, and electricity cost as well, but a cent a round should more than pay for that, plus you need to lube the bullet.  I use alox, home made smokeless, and homemade and pearl lube 2 black powder lube, depending on bullet and what I'm going to be doing with it.  Figure another cent or so for that.

So say it's costing me 12 cent a cast and lubed 260 grain bullet cast from pure 20-1 alloy.  Now, that's for the 45 colt, my 45 acp gets a mix of pure lead and wheel weight and scrap lead to bring the hardness up just a bit, so that brings the price down a bit.  I use as much scrap as I can, it's just hard to find good cheap scrap down here.

For my conicals I cast from pure lead, at 1.72$ a pound, a 200 grain conical comes out to .05 cents a round, not counting mould wear and tear, electricity, and lube.

Of course there's a bit of work in chopping the 100 pound ingots into manageable pieces, but I stick then in the forging press with a hack and chop them up.  And I don't have to hunt the countryside looking for suitable lead.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
Great info and a great link!! Many thanks!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »
FWIW, I checked the classifieds on the Cast Boolit site last night and it appears that pure lead and range scrap are selling for a little over $1 per pound, delivered.
 I personally don't agonize much over alloys and have found 50% WW and 50% lead to work well for just about everything.

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »
1$ a pound for pure lead?  That's a good price, if I hadn't already got a pallet a while back I'd be getting as much as I could.  Last time I bought scrap lead at the local yard it was 40 cents a pound, and when you add in my gas, wear and tear on my truck, and times when I went there and they had nothing, a 1$ a pound delivered sounds pretty good.

I don't get too obsessive about alloys either, as long as there in the hardness range and cast good.  Unfortunately I've got about 300 pounds of wheel weight scrap that is on the very hard side and low tin side.  Might be some antimony mixed in as some did come from the scrap yard.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
New to casting so why should I not use zinc wheel weights in a mix?

Chance

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »

Chance

The melting point is way too high. Impossible to melt with ordinary casting equipment.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
As I understand it,. they can be melted, if you set the temp high enough, but they won't alloy well with the lead. If you don't set the temp too high, they will simply float on top of the lead without melting. Some I haver seen are marked with a "Z" or "Zi"

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
Wow, a two year old thread. Oh well. Some of those zinc weights might even be steel. I keep  a pair of pliers and sort thr weights by giving them a squeeze to cull the Zn and Fe weights.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »

Chance

It has a relatively high melting point, 787.5°. Earleir today I read an account of a seasoned caster trying to cast with zinc. Long story short he trashed an aluminum mold. For sure keep it out of your lead by keeping
melt temps in check.

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com