Author Topic: Magnifiicent 7 Remake Trailer  (Read 23157 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Magnifiicent 7 Remake Trailer
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Magnifiicent 7 Remake Trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
I'll give it a chance. Heck, at this point, I'm just happy to see any new Western with a chance of being decent. I've always thought Denzel Washington was a solid actor. I don't quite buy Chris Pratt, but I've enjoyed him in most films I see him in, so we'll see.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »
While, I do not anticipate this to be on the caliber (oh a pun) of the original Magnificent Seven, or even nearly as sharp (oh, another) as the Seven Samurai, I will be there to see it.   One, big fan of Vincent D'Onofrio, he pretty much raises the abilities of those around him.   Second just glad they are making a western.   I get the diverse cast, Hollywood is not making pictures for the USA alone anymore.  The Asian market is huge and as such, I see the logical addition of an Asian actor.  I just wish they would have had him dress in a fashion that was a nod to Kwai Chang Caine, that would have been a great twist.  Overall, the market for Western movies is probably overseas as well.   I have yet to meet someone from Europe or Asia that does not want to see the Wild West.   I deal with client in Japan on a regular basis.   Many, knowing my location, ask about Jesse James.  They are even more amazed when I tell them I am on the board of the Jesse James Farm and send pictures.   So, I am guessing if done well, this will do well overseas. 
Of the modern westerns, it is one I am going to definitely support.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:48 PM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
I'll give it a chance.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:07 AM »
It's only a Trailer so it hard to tell what the final movie will be like. I've a few thoughts though. It looks like a Kick-Ass movie and I don't mean that in a good way......it will have lots of bad guys getting their ass kicked by the good guys. You need more than that, you need drama, you need vulnerability, you don't need PC casting when it stares out at you as an obvious Studio ploy. But I will go and see it. The world loves Cowboy Movies because they are about Americans, not Irish-Americans, not French born Americans, not born in Italy but living in America now or many years Americans, just hairy-assed Americans. Trying to pander to a persieved foreign market to make it more "Cowboy" is just shooting yourself in the foot. See what I did there. Hey, I hope it's absolutely brilliant. Who doesn't want a great western?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »
I'll go see it.

I can't help but think that this will turn out like "Hateful Eight" or "Bone Tomahawk", - made as competition with the big action-packed Marvel franchises.
Comic Book inspired Over-the-Top characterizations.

But, they're in a business where you jump on whatever's hot at the moment before the fickle interests of the masses change.

I've also noticed that post 9/11 movies everything is apocalyptic and can only be made right by Super Heros. Kind of like how Japan went into it's post-war Godzilla phase after suffering the horror of nuclear war, - their nightmare imaginings had to be bigger and grander.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
I'll give it a chance too.  I'm also just happy to see any new Western come out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 10:04:03 AM »

I've also noticed that post 9/11 movies everything is apocalyptic and can only be made right by Super Heros. Kind of like how Japan went into it's post-war Godzilla phase after suffering the horror of nuclear war, - their nightmare imaginings had to be bigger and grander.
RCJ

When I read this, John, I instantly thought of that Japanese film classic;   

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES

When I watched it about 1980, it had been touted as one of the World's 10 worst films! Laughed from beginning to end.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
 I, wonder if it will be as great as "RICE RUSSLERS OF GUATAMALLA GULCH" ( made in japan)??????

Hootmix.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »
I saw it this weekend.  Not bad.  Takes some lines straight from the 1960 version.  Action is a bit over the top, as most movies now days are.   I did enjoy it.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 12:44:30 AM »
I saw it this weekend.  Not bad.  Takes some lines straight from the 1960 version.  Action is a bit over the top, as most movies now days are.   I did enjoy it.
My sentiments exactly. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
Saw it with the wife. We both enjoyed it, and I'd buy it when it comes out.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline MontanaBighorn

• Citizen
    • Carry Guide
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
Hollywood pretty-boys dressing up and playing cowboy will never appeal to me.  Classic westerns are far more authentic because the actors were men before they became actors.  There will never be another Eastwood, Bronson, Wayne, Van Cleef and so many others who were able to sell the movie because they weren't having to pretend to play the role.
Nathan in

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »
Politically Correct Marxist statement.  Nothing to see here.  Stick Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen in the DVD and pop some popcorn. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
Hollywood pretty-boys dressing up and playing cowboy will never appeal to me.  Classic westerns are far more authentic because the actors were men before they became actors.  There will never be another Eastwood, Bronson, Wayne, Van Cleef and so many others who were able to sell the movie because they weren't having to pretend to play the role.

well, I say  Sam Elliot & Beau Bridges * , have held their own 

* I offer , Wild Bill  & Rooster in defense of Beau...Sam needs no defending     
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
Politically Correct Marxist statement.  Nothing to see here.  Stick Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen in the DVD and pop some popcorn. 

Mind if I ask where you got the Marxist connotation from? The 'corrupt business man' as a villain is pretty common throughout the history of American cinema and pop culture, and most of those films aren't considered Marxist. This film didn't have 'a business is bad' theme, just that people who go after folks weaker than themselves/abuse their power are bad. Again, a fairly common theme in American film, and in Western films in particular.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »
Mind if I ask where you got the Marxist connotation from? The 'corrupt business man' as a villain is pretty common throughout the history of American cinema and pop culture, and most of those films aren't considered Marxist. This film didn't have 'a business is bad' theme, just that people who go after folks weaker than themselves/abuse their power are bad. Again, a fairly common theme in American film, and in Western films in particular.

It's not the corrupt business man part (although that is a common feature of Marxist themes and, as you point out, they are a common part of left wing Hollywood and have been since the 1930s to some extent or another) 

But it's the whole modern politically correct left wing notion that everything has to be multicultural (even if it flies in the face of reality, historical or current, and looks ridiculous).  Western Civilization (White man, Christian and other aspects) is bad and must written out and/or must make up for it by embracing egalitarianism and meeting racial and sexual quotas on any given subject.     Look how many Hollywood movies of recent times have redone characters (whether it's westerns, dramas, comic book heros, etc.) with black, female or gay characters (Yul Brenner's character is redone with Denzel Washington and the whole group of 7 has to have like 1 black, one Mexican, one Indian, one woman, one gay or whatever).    Political Correctness is also known as Cultural Marxism.    It started back in the 1990s, more or less, and has gotten even more ridiculous over the past decade or so.   

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
Just managed to watch it on cable. The Political Correctness smacks you right up the face. I didn't see any black bad guys, maybe I missed them. The bad Indian guy gets killed by.......the good Indian guy. It could have been a good movie though but, it isn't. I would love to have been at the production meetings where Political Commisar stepped in to correct reality. And did anyone note the sound that the guns made in places.......like children's cap guns. Like Rooster said about Quincy: Don't look for McQueen or Bronson or Brynner.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
Pass....unless I stumble on it, freebie on one of the TNT channels...

Last good Western I recall was Open Range.....

the comic book versions of  Lone Ranger, Wild Wild West   ::)
 Hateful Eight,  Django Unchained  & Bone Tomahawk  don't entertain me....  their trailers were enough to turn me away.

I still want to catch The Revenant,  just cause  :-\ , but I won't spend any of my money to the Lenin r doh  DiCraprio enrichment fund.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
Hey Major,
If you do not mind the horror genre, check out The Burrowers.  It has Clancy Brown and Tom Cruises less crazy cousin.   I like horror and I like westerns, this was both. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com