Author Topic: Off-center primer strikes  (Read 1899 times)

Offline gmkmd

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Off-center primer strikes
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »
Any of you Spencer gunsmiths out there have a suggestion for this?  My ArmiSport Spencer carbine in .56-50 caliber strikes the primer at the 12 o'clock position, near the edge of the primer.  This is causing frequent misfires.  If I put a shim under the tip of the lever, it prevents the breechblock from riding up all the way, and corrects the problem.  I'd like to fix it permanently.  So, one idea I have is to tap a small screw into the trigger plate right where the tip of the lever touches; this will allow me to indirectly adjust the exact height of the breechblock so that the primer strikes will be properly centered.
But I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and how they addressed it.  I would prefer to fix it internally, but this seemed like more work as it would involve soldering a shim or something at some other point along the interface between the lever and the breechblock carrier.   

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Off-center primer strikes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
gmkmd,

My suggestion would be to contact either the manufacture (ArmiSport) or the importer to see just what they will be able to offer you, if anything at all?
If that should fail, then look for the fix yourself.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline gmkmd

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
I decided to go even simpler; I just put the tip of the lever in a vise, bent it up a tad, and now it's perfect. 
(And yes, I padded the vise jaws with brass so I didn't leave any marks on the lever)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:37 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com