Author Topic: New Black Powder Frames  (Read 19891 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: New Black Powder Frames
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »
BP Burn,

I'm too lazy to go look it up (LOL) so I'll just ask. Does that 1984 date mean you gun is a 2nd Gen or an early 3rd Gen? Good for you either way but if it's a 2nd Gen with a BP frame that is really KOOL!

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »
Dave, don't take it as gospel, but I think the only BP frame guns made in the 2nd gen were the Peacemaker Centennials, the Cavalry .45 and the Frontier Six Shooter in 44 WCF. I had heard that there was an old 1st gen frame found in the bottom of the bin of frames and built up around 1972 or so but have never found any concrete proof of that story. 1984 was well into 3rd gen.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »
Yea, since I admitted my laziness in that other post I read something that mentioned when the 3rd Gen started. I was off by quite a few years (LOL at myself).

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:11:03 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 07:03:41 AM »
Yes, it is a 3rd gen gun.  I was a bit leary of the quality control of the build after reading so many things over the years about 3rd gens.  So, before purchase I had my local (very good) gunsmith check it out.  It is actually quite a good specimen.  Chamber throat and bore dimensions were proper and action timing perfect.  The only issue was a rough forcing cone - looked like a beaver had gnawed on it.  He cleaned that up and cut it to 11 degrees, tuned the action - and she's ready to go!

This definitely won't be a safe queen - it'll be a shooter.  I may even get a chance to take it to the range today and feed it the proper fuel - nothing but black powder........... ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »
I may even get a chance to take it to the range today and feed it the proper fuel - nothing but black powder........... ;D

KOOL!

Dave

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »
I took her to the range today.  Not only is she purty.....she can dance!  ;D

With a half-a** wrist rest from an awkward position she shot a 2" group at 25 yards with my BP ammo.  I think we're going to have  along and happy relationship.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »
Well, we certainly need some pictures then, don't we?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
Here are a couple of photos
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
Ah, that's better.   Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
Dave, here are a couple of examples of what I was talking about. The pics are of two 44 WCF third gen BP frame Colts, one made in the 80's with a roll engraved barrel and the other is one of the Etched Panel guns made around 2007-8.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Not sure which I like more, the CCH hammerer or the one piece ivory stocks. Both are beautiful. Well done!

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
Hey, Dave, here's an old 1882 Colt I hade Dave Lanara rebuild for me. Can't do any better than Dave. Not sure what the original configuration was as I got it as a basket case, but it's a huckleberry if there ever was one now. ;D

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »
Wow! No, that's not good enough. WOW!

That is awesome man, just awesome. Back before life got in the way and I got out of this stuff for a while, I used to find "junker" 1st Gen Colts for what even then was pretty reasonable prices. I knew an old guy who could re-build them to very serviceable condition so I could shoot BP loads and I had a blast doing so for close to 10 years. But, none of them looked anywhere close to as good as your gun does.

Got the contact info for that gunsmith? He is obviously very good.

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »
Dave, that's Dave Lanara work. And quite simply he is the best there is, bar none, IMOHO.

http://davelanara.homestead.com

Here's his website.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
Thanks. Made a note...OK, a bookmark of it.

Dave

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Was at the NRA show today and you can get a new BP frame, was told it was not necessarily a custom shop gun but they are only making about 100 production guns a month and all are already spoken for like forever from what I understand just from existing orders.

It sounded like a person would more likely get one sooner by adding ivory or another custom shop option so it could be ordered through the custom shop.

Was told about 2 year wait for custom shop order right now.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Cliff, I actually called the Custom shop and was told the same thing, 18 months to 2 years. I was trying to decide if I wanted to wait that long when I stumbled across the used 5-1/2" I ended up with. Probably paid more than I should have but I'll have two years of shooting through it by the time I'd have gotten it cheeper from the Custom Shop at Colt. (smile)

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »
Hey, sometimes project can be fun while you're waiting. I got this for about $800 online, it was advertised as an "1881 SAA 38WCF (?), frozen up". Took the chance and when I got it, discovered it was a 45 made in 1881. The gun was 'frozen', but only because of some minor rust in the action. Disassembled and everything looks intact. The rust is the biggest problem and I'm working on that. The other real problem is the barrel (which I already have a replacement for), it seems the armorer for the Hollywood gun rental agency 'fixed' a problem with the ejector rod stud being stripped out by drilling (right thru the side of the barrel into the bore) and then tapping the hole for an aftermarket screw. Since the barrel was a cut down, it doesn't really bother me to replace it, I got it to be a shooter anyway. It does have a later (1920's) triggerguard, but I suspect that an expedient to using two piece grips or an honest mistake when reassembling multiple guns on the bench at the same time. All in all I figure on having some fun and have something to keep me busy while waiting for the next find to show up. ;D

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 03:01:30 PM »
LOL - Pathfinder, I would have done some damage to my arthritic shoulder getting the wallet out (provided they took credit cards of course) if someone had offered me that 1st Generation Colt for $800. Good on ya man! (smile)

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com