Author Topic: New Black Powder Frames  (Read 19852 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
New Black Powder Frames
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »
Hoping some of you here know the answer to this. I only recently learned about Colt making these BP frame models but I have had ZERO success in finding any for sale. The only exception is a guy offering them on GunBroker for $1000 over Colt's MSRP.

Is there a nation wide dealer/source who has these in stock, or can be expected to get them any time soon, who is offering them for a more reasonable price?

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: New Black Powder Frames
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »
Dave, good luck finding them as they appear to be a Custom Shop option at the time being, if you can even order them. According to the Colt website their entire production is already 'allocated'. You can occasionally find one on Gunbroker or Auction Arms but be prepared to pay a premium for it. I've found it easier and sometimes cheaper if you're willing to do a little work, to get my hands on about three or four old first generation black powder frame Colts, including a Military Model. They all need some work, but hey, that's half the fun. For general shooting, you can get black powder frame Uberti's from Cimarron or Buffalo Arms. I have at this time black powder frames by Colt (1st, 2nd and 3rd gen), Uberti, USFA and Pietta, so they are out there. Good luck, Pathfinder

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »
Nope...

Colt 'will' produce them via the Custom Shop, buy be prepared for a 3-4 year wait time.

There's only one guy working there, and the BP Frame isn't a regular production item, so that work goes to him, so if you want one 'now', your best bet is 'Gunbroker' or the better gun shows.

There's no hoard of them sitting in some dealer's shop, waiting for the anointed to buy them below MSRP - they're hard enough to find, that MSRP doesn't mean anything at all.

Colt's main thrust is their military contract stuff - 'not' SAAs - and nothing much beyond their numerous Model O platforms - they prioritize differently, and are seriously lucky to still be a manufacturer at this point in time.

Good Hunting!

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:31 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
If you 'really' want one - a nickel and genuine ivory 'Colt Frontier Six-Shooter' in .44-40, Fox Creek Kid just listed his spare on 'Gunbroker'.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up St.George but the BP frame Colt I "really" want is a 45.

Dave

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »
You may satisfy your want by buying a Cimarron. My Black Powder frame Uberti/Cimarron 45 is my most accurate SAA I own. This piece will out shoot my Colt Custom Shop SA pair of 44WCF's.
The Cimarron Black Powder frame is an excellent product.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Lefty Dude. I may not have been clear enough in my original post in that what I am looking for is a BP frame that actually says "Colt" on the frame and barrel without being the price of a 1st Generation. I now have 3 USFA BP frame 45 Colts so it's not just a BP frame I'm looking for. I would like to add one made by Colt.

Thanks again to all who responded. The info has helped me understand the current market status of the new production models.

Dave

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »
You should have started Collecting the Colt first, they were available then.

Why the USFA's, when you could have the real Colt ?

Before I bought my Pair of Colts, I almost bought USFA's. For a few hundred dollars more I got the real Colts.

Mine are Custom Shop, dual cylinders 44WCF, 44Special, conseg. Serial numbers and 4 3/4" barrels.

Good luck on your Colt quest !

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
Why the USFA's, when you could have the real Colt ?

When I bought the USFAs I didn't know Colt had brought out a newly manufactured black powder frame model. I only learned about them a week or so back. I'm playing catch up on this. (smile)

Dave

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
Only thru the Custom Shop were the BP frames available, beveled cylinders also.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »
Currently, Colt is not producing SAAs.  That is, in the sense of "production."  Yes, Colt is still making the SAA.  Everyone who wants one
will have to "special order it" form the custom shop.  Dealers are in the same boat.  Dealers are not currently (not for years) receiving
"production" guns for stock.  Colt, for all practical purposes is a BUST.  Unless of course, one has the same luck as required for winning
the lottery.  Or, being struck by lightning.

Coffinmaker

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »
Unless of course, one has the same luck as required for winning the lottery.  Or, being struck by lightning.
Coffinmaker

I guess finding one of these new production BP frame Colts will be a matter of dumb luck.

Back when I was a detective with the sheriff's department I used to think most of the criminals we got convictions on and sent to prison were the dumb ones. A homicide investigator I worked with used to say even a blind squirrel stumbles on a acorn once in a while. (smile)

Looking' for acorns,
Dave

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Who would a thunk it! Dumb luck paid me a visit. I found one of the the BP frame Colts and will complete the transaction over the weekend. I've never been very lucky but I've had that "dumb" part covered for years. (LOL)

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Dave T,

Buy a LOTTERY TICKET!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »
Didn't buy a lottery ticket but I did finally get around to taking a couple pictures.

Got to test fire it along with a couple other acquisitions and despite having the heaviest trigger pull of the lot, this Colt turned the best 5-shot group of the bunch. My only complaint about it's appearance is that bare steel hammer. How it is Colt thinks that is acceptable on an otherwise beautifully finished firearm is beyond me, but then they didn't ask me what I think either (LOL).

This was a used gun (I'm the third owner) and I was considering placing an order with the Custom Shop. This was way faster so I'm a happy old retired deputy.

Dave

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
Nice find. I personally don't like the plain non finished hammers on the Colts either. Never could understand for that kind of money why Colt didn't case color the hammer to match the frames.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 07:18:04 AM »
Nice find. I personally don't like the plain non finished hammers on the Colts either. Never could understand for that kind of money why Colt didn't case color the hammer to match the frames.

Cheaper to manufacture.  Bless their hearts.  You never know when you will need an extra $20.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »
Dave, if you keep an eye on EBay and around at gun shows you might be able to find a color cased Colt hammer every now and again. I've snagged a couple of them at different times and the really add that extra pizazz to the third gen black powder frames.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
Dave, if you keep an eye on EBay and around at gun shows you might be able to find a color cased Colt hammer every now and again. I've snagged a couple of them at different times and the really add that extra pizazz to the third gen black powder frames.

I will certainly be on the lookout for one.

Dave

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 07:24:02 AM »
Speaking of the "dumb luck" category - sign me up!  I just stumbled across a NIB Colt/Winchester Commemorative with black powder frame manufactured in 1984 - lots of cheap gold inlay on the barrel and cylinder. A fellow shooter was clearing out the safe to raise some cash, and sold it to me at his original cost - which is well below the price you can buy a plain new Colt SA.  I have it at the gunsmith now getting a tuneup

Can't wait to get it to the range this weekend!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com