Author Topic: *** Photos Added *** New SSS Member and Love to shoot Spencer Rifles  (Read 3502 times)

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
 ;D  Hello to the Camp!
Hey Folks!  Looking to join this fine group.  
I  love to shoot 1800's guns. Most of all Spencer rifles, one of to coolest rifles ever made.  I've got 2 so far.  One is a Armi-Sport that I've turned into a 1866-68 style Sporting Rifle in 56-50.  The other is an original 56-46 Sporting Rifle.  I shoot and hunt with both.
I'm in West Central Georgia near Buena Vista, GA.
I have a 365 yrd rifle range.
Plenty of room to ride my horses out here on dirt rds to fill down time.  
I'm always looking to meet new friends who like me, just can't get enough of these guns.

Above is the 56-50 Armi-Sport Spencer.  It started life as a carbine but I added a 26 inch barrel and reshaped a fore stock that was intended to be on a Sharps.  The end cap is from a leg bone of an Elk I took above Durand, Colorado.
Below is my original Spencer Sporting Rifle in 56-46. I've installed a center fire upper block. Can't own something that I can't shoot.  It actually shoots a bit better than the Armi-Sport which is no slouch on a target.  
Lee Precision made custom molds for both to my specs. .513 dia @377grs for the 56-50
and .461 dia @335grs for the 56-46.
WW primers, powders I'm using are H-777, H-4198, A-1680. Will share load data with any that want it as long as you understand that you use it at your own risk.  Both are scary good on whitetail.

(Photos added by Two Flints)

IJ

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
injun John,

Very nice work! On both guns.

I think there maybe many folks here that would like to what you did to modify the Armi-Sport to a sporting rifle.
Others maybe interested in learning about your ammo set up for the original 56-46 Sporting Rifle alteration to center fire.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Injun John-- I would Also second the request for information on your 56-46 reloading experience.  You have obviously put
A lot of effort into these two Spencer's. I envy your shooting range.

Advertising

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
 I've found that my original Spencer in 56-46 has either a modified chamber after manufacture or a custom chamber from Spencer.
The rifle's make up and placement of sn#'s indicates that it was indeed a Sporting rifle built by the Spencer company.  The Sn 1139 is positioned left on the frame where a tang sight would be positioned as is correct for Spencer made Sporters.
All the sn's match to include the sn on the underside on the barrel & both stocks. Assy # match in the gun as well. I have found 2 other Spencer sporting rifles reputed to have been from the factory as such that are Sn'd within 0038 of mine.
However, the chamber cast and the subsequent fire formed brass does not fit the factory specs for 56-46. Fire formed from this chamber the brass looks nearly like an"Ackley improved version" of the 56-46. The sides of the brass are straighter with a sharper, more defined shoulder and neck. The bore is still in excess .460 in the grooves requiring a .461 - 462 bullet for best accuracy. 
Andy Lee made a 6 cavity custom mold for me in .462 x 320grs that sized to .461 works better than I could have hoped for.
I'm using 2 powders primarily, H-777 F2 grade (about 45grs by vol) and H-4198 (18.5 grs) both over Winchester LR standard primers.  Accuracy has been very good out to 365 yrds. with consistent hits (90% or better) on 12 inch steel disks at 200 yrds and the same on 26 inch disks at 365 on a day with < 5mph winds.
With iron sights and 60yr old eyes, I'm a happy camper. 

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: *** Photos Added *** New SSS Member and Love to shoot Spencer Rifles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
Took My first deer with the 56-46 Sporter yesterday.  Can't remember how I got the other pics posted here. But if I can figure it out I'll post a pic of it.

Injun John  Here it is.  Terrific Shooting.  Two Flints

(Posted by Two Flints)

Offline steved66

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: *** Photos Added *** New SSS Member and Love to shoot Spencer Rifles
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »
Well done!  Of course I mean your shooting with the Spencer and not a suggestion on how to cook your venison... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com