Author Topic: Interesting rifle  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Interesting rifle
« on: February 10, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
The other day, a friend and new SASS shooter stopped by the house. He wanted to show me a replica of the 1873 Winchester that he had bought very cheap. I was surprised how well the rifle balanced and it was built like the 1866 but it was color cased and it looked really good. Slim fore end, lighter up front (24") and came to the shoulder comfortably.
The trigger spring seemed to be 40#s. Terrible. Lots of slop in the action but other than overcoming the hammer, it did good.
After checking it out, it was sold by The Heritage Co. under the name of Chaparral. Bad rep. I knew they produced revolvers but not a rifle. Or they have their guns produced.
Anyway, I hour glassed the main spring and rounded some edges and did some polishing. New gun. Cowboy was satisfied. Attached is the always friendly guys on the SASS wire with heart warming advice passed to another cowboy. The cowboy way. I jest.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246677&hl=%2Bred+%2Bcent#entry3219620
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Interesting rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:23:49 PM »
From what I've seen those rifles are problematic. LP likes a challenge (he has several Lightnings) but I think he knows when it may be improbable to try to get and keep something running properly. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
I certainly hope you "jest."  Forthright honest answers were provided.  Good luck with Chaparral.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:05 AM »

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
I didn't want to be that blunt but that's the way I felt. I personally appreciate honest answers even if I disagree with them or it isn't what I would like to hear. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »
Since I have used the SASS wire for over 15 years I am used to "fortright" answers from certain people. You know, the ones who flunked Social Grace 101.  Also, I was in banking for over 40 years and dealt with some pretty rude people. Age and financial position is a determining factor. Surprisingly, a couple of other forums commented the opposite way. But then you never know about people.
Now that you two have straightened me out, the friend and new shooter is pleased. Hope it doesn't break. Parts ain't too handy.

Have a good day.

SASS29170L

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »
Gosh Red,
You wanna give folks a left-handed poke in the eye, you maybe shouldn't be surprised they poke back a little bit. Poke, Poke, Poke.

Coffinmaker

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:21:56 AM »
Hope it doesn't break. Parts ain't too handy.

Have a good day.

I think that may be the point.
 Also you seem to be pretty good at "The Cowboy Way", I jest. wM1

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
Interesting, still would like to find one. Also interesting is the ASM link as one of there employies works at Uberti.
Sound to me that % of the guns were wall hangers out of the box but there are some thst work fine, may be not to Fornular One standed but may be fun race. ;D ;D
Buffalochip

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
I agree with you Mike, I have a few guns that I was told I probably should not buy. However I went onto those transactions knowing what the problems might be with them. Some of them have worked just fine as long as I don't need parts. Others may become wallhangers. But it is nice to have someone be frank and tell ya what to expect. wM1

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »
Ah well,
Frankly, Frank's Franks to be frank are frankly not great Franks.  Boiled, I found Frank's Franks frankly frightful.  On the other hand, When Grilled, Frank's Franks were frankly frankilicious.  Not to be confused with Franken Steins, which hold Ale, to be consumed with Frank's
fabulous fried Franks.  My head hurtz!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
Mike, you might be able to own this one cheap. If interested, PM me your name and phone number. I will contact the owner and he doesn't call you back, I will. He is a retired LEO and a great guy that just got into the SASS game.
SASS29170L

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »
Sent
regards
m ???