Author Topic: "Bulging 45 Colt"  (Read 9933 times)

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Bulging 45 Colt"
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »
Any way to fix bulging 45 Colt cases. I see that Lee has a Bulging Kit, but not for 45 Colt.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: "Bulging 45 Colt"
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:00:12 AM »
The 45 acp budget busted works by pushing the case thru the sizing die. This is not possible with a rimmed case like the colt 45
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline sixgunner1965

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
Redding makes a resizing die that's supposed to get rid of 45 colt bulge. Prob not cheap !!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:06:17 PM »

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
Thanks

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »

Hello Cinco Peso
What is case bulging” please? I have shot .45 Colt cartridges in gen one Model P revolvers, in Italian copies of the .45 Colt model P.

I have shot many rounds of the old button head cases In an 1892 Winchester converted to .45 Colt that started lfe as a .25-20 with a ruined barrel made from original Winchester parts with a little master gunsmith work using both nitro powder and real Gun Powder.

I don’t know how many rounds I have fired through 1860, 1866, 1ne 1873 Italian copies with modern made cases using both nitro and Gun Powder and I have yet to see a ‘bulged” case.

Of course all the reloads were done with powder charges that were about midway between minimum and maximum for that particular powder and bullet weight combination.

Since all .45 Colt cases now available have a good solid head, unlike the old button head cases where does the case bulge?

Your obt svt
Bunk

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »

Hello Cinco Peso
What is case bulging” please? I have shot .45 Colt cartridges in gen one Model P revolvers, in Italian copies of the .45 Colt model P.

I have shot many rounds of the old button head cases In an 1892 Winchester converted to .45 Colt that started lfe as a .25-20 with a ruined barrel made from original Winchester parts with a little master gunsmith work using both nitro powder and real Gun Powder.

I don’t know how many rounds I have fired through 1860, 1866, 1ne 1873 Italian copies with modern made cases using both nitro and Gun Powder and I have yet to see a ‘bulged” case.

Of course all the reloads were done with powder charges that were about midway between minimum and maximum for that particular powder and bullet weight combination.

Since all .45 Colt cases now available have a good solid head, unlike the old button head cases where does the case bulge?

Your obt svt
Bunk

Bunk:

I noticed that a few of the rounds that I reloaded did not sit all the way on the cylinder, after asking some fellow shooters, they commented that I had Bulged cases. One of them had a 45 C ammunition gauge and those rounds did not sit well, most did.
So based on their comments and testing my reloads with the gauge,  I determine that those were Bulged.

I wish I could give you a better explanation, but I am sure someone on the board can provide more of a technical explanation.

Thanks,
Cinco

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:52:02 PM »
Before you do anything else, I'd guess that friend with the gauge also has a sizing, die, borrow his or size some cases in his shop if he won't let you borrow them and see it that cures it, if so, just buy a new sizing die or contact the maker of yours.

Could be a cheap fix, when in doubt try the cheap fix first.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
I realize the original question was "how to fix bulged cases."  The question should be "Why are the cases bulged."  Have they been bulged during reloading??  Have they bulged by firing??  Is there a chamber problem??  Solve the problem of "WHY" FIRST.

Coffinmaker

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
I realize the original question was "how to fix bulged cases."  The question should be "Why are the cases bulged."  Have they been bulged during reloading??  Have they bulged by firing??  Is there a chamber problem??  Solve the problem of "WHY" FIRST.

Coffinmaker

True, I know  sometimes it has to do with the sizing die, a friend had that problem and it was the die, but a long time ago and I don't remember the details. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
 The bulge is caused by the case expanding to fit closer to the chamber.  If you are using them in one gun, I would suggest leaving the case in the as expanded condition and just neck size to a bit below where the base of the bullet will be as this pic illustrates.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
What powder are you loading?  I tried annealing cases sever years ago and made them soft enough that when I compressed a load of black powder the case bulged and would no chamber.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
I load Trail Boss but when I run out I use HP-38 or tight group

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 03:27:16 AM »
What dies are you using?  It's possible that your die might be oversized slightly, though I've never run into that myself.

A possibility is to grind a little off the bottom of the size die so it'll size further down the case, maybe a 1/16" or so off might do it.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
Make sure the sizing die is set properly. An eighth of a turn too loose will cause the "doesn't quite go in all the way" condition. Don't set it too tight either or the carbide insert can be cracked... just do what the die manufacturer says.

The Lee "factory crimp die", with a sizing ring in the base of it, adds insurance that all is OK at the very end.

I found a Wilson Cartridge to be really handy to have when setting up the dies.

Will, It's not just you... Of all the stuff that I load for (maybe 40 different calibers), I found the 45 LC to be one of the most picky calibers to properly set up the dies for.

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
I will re-check my turret press set up.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 920
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:29 PM »
Another consideration is what is the bullet sized to. If you are loading .454" bullets into cases expanded for .451" or .452" bullets, that will produce a case bulge. Or, if you are too aggressive in crimping I've seen that bulge the case just below the neck and cause problems seating in the chamber.

Just more food for thought,
Dave

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
What brand of sizing die are you using? Are you using new or used brass? Changed your bullet? Checked for lead buildup in your seating die? If you don't want to bugger up your die, you can also grind some off your shell holder to get the case farther into the die. Are the cases bulged after sizing or ok until you seat a bullet? If bulged after seating, check for lead, if clean then back your seater out a turn or two. A good idea is to load dummy cases that are correctly sized and with each bullet correctly seated that you use for that caliber and keep them in with the dies. If you change bullets all you have to do is adjust the seater stem to the dummy round.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 10:20:29 PM »
Ok I full length resize my 45 LC everytime I reload I use trail boss and have some cases on their 10th reload.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com