Author Topic: Not too old, after all?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Not too old, after all?
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
I must admit to experiencing an occasional qualm over the historical accuracy of someone my age engaging in any military portrayal, let alone a serving Canadian Militiaman of the latter third of the 19th century. 

Although occasionally one sees photographic evidence of older men in the ranks, I recently came across one particular image which definitely leaves me feeling much more comfortable with being a "grizzled oldtimer" ... 

;D

(No date given but likely 1880's,  based on the uniforms and headgear ...)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Not too old, after all?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
bravo ,one of the reasons I stopped most of my re enactment fun was due to my increasing feeling of being 'out of place' due to my age.
Same with the cowboy action game . It was becoming increasingly more embarrassing and uncomfortable trying to remember some of the more complicated stages and movement between positions . Oh well it was great while it lasted. Glad to see this photo. Hope for us old geezers yet.
Dutch Charlie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
bravo ,one of the reasons I stopped most of my re enactment fun was due to my increasing feeling of being 'out of place' due to my age.
Same with the cowboy action game . It was becoming increasingly more embarrassing and uncomfortable trying to remember some of the more complicated stages and movement between positions . Oh well it was great while it lasted. Glad to see this photo. Hope for us old geezers yet.
Dutch Charlie
That's just one reason I love our game.  "See targets, engage targets" is usually the stage instructions.  I could NEVER remember what "sweep" to do in cowboy shooting.  Our cowboy shooting club uses all knock-down targets as well, so I don't have to concern myself with such things anymore.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:04:54 PM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »
like that :0)
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com