Author Topic: 56-46  (Read 11507 times)

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 56-46
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I tried the cf breech block in it and worked great except for the wide cartridge guide. Since it has been altered already, might it be easier to make it a 56-50 if I wanted it for a shooter? I am all set up to reload 56-50.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 05:24:19 PM »
Jack,

The 56-50 uses a bullet dia. of around .515 or slightly larger.
It would seem your bore dia. is a bit smaller than this. Have you slugged the bore to be sure?
However, you maybe able to use the longer 56-50 case with a slight bottle neck to the mouth of the cartridge case to serve your needs. Just a thought on my part?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
If it were me, i'd keep it as is. You have a very unique rifle. You should be able to form brass from cut down 50-70. It will take some ingenuity, but it will be worth the effort. If you have a lathe, you may be able to turn a heel on a normal cast bullet. I've done that for several of my 32 rimfires.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:36:14 PM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
I think cases can be made with cut down 32 ga shot shells an forming by backing of the 56-46 dies.I will give it a go tomorrow an let you know how it works,the bullet is the biggest problem,I think it will be a custom mould a custom mould or nothing .If you must reline the barrel(something that I would have trouble doing ) I would go for a 1 in 24 twist .458 ,56-46 Spencer lined barrel,this is by fare the most accurate Spencer calibre that I have used and components for reloading are readily available.OK the forming of the case worked out to be very easy ,cut 32 ga shot sell to 1.4 ,annealed anran into 56-46 CH4 die till the shoulder was .958 forward(I would keep trying for fit but I belive this will be very close)trim to 1.2 OAL and expand with expanding plug until out side of cass mouth around .491.Now the bullet,with a 1in 52 twist a short .55 long bullet of .483 + or - to fit throat with a 0.2 long heel and a grease groove .2 ahead of heel,because the cartridge is a bottle neck one the nose would be best be only slightly rounded,OAL will be 1.6 inches

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
I am still in the " what the heck did I buy " stage, and not ready to do anything drastic yet. Just the novelty of a Spencer with a light, crisp trigger has given me the itch to shoot it. I appreciate your input and welcome any additional thoughts on this topic.  Thanks  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
Jack,

If the bore is in good condition, just my suggestion, I would to leave it alone.
I, personally, would tend to try forming cartridge brass to fit the chamber first. Then fire forming the brass to get the best measurement.
The bore calibration seems to be odd from what you have reported so far. This may require investing into a custom mould for your Rifle? This could be expensive but is doable. And will keep your Rifle in it's current original condition.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »
Hello to the fire,
I've got maybe 50 rnds of unfired Buffalo arms made 56-46 brass that I could part with if you'd want it.  I paid over $2.50 each & shipping.  You can have them for $2 each.  I'm making my own now fit custom to my gun. These were a little short for my chamber.
But they are to factory specs.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
I believe my chamber is also of a non-standard design or I would be interested in those cases.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
Hey there.  I too have a 56-46 XL.  Mine appears to have been built by Spencer not too long before Winchester bought him out.
I have it shooting. I reform Taylor's type 56-50 brass and had Andy Lee make a 6 cav mold for me.  Shoots very good and finally took it out to deer hunt with.  Success!  E-mail me at  John_Hilliker@yahoo.com and we'll exchange info.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
Nice work on the deer. I've been waiting on back order for almost a year now for 56-46 dies. It sounds like you have yours figured out, that gives me hope for mine if I ever get those dies.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com