Author Topic: Lined or unlined holsters? Now vs then.  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Lined or unlined holsters? Now vs then.
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »
I have been shopping for a new moneybelt/holster rig and have located several I really like, all from various makers. Some offer lined holsters with their product, others do not but at a price savings.

At this point I am not averse to either.

Right now all my holsters for CAS are lined. The set up at which I am now looking (a single gun Cheyenne style holster with moneybelt) is to be more for historical accuracy and non-CAS usage, therefore my desire to gain a bit more historical correctness with the leather.

Historically, were holsters lined or not or offered in both styles?

Advantages/disadvantages to unlined?

Thank you for any helpful insight and elucidation.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: Lined or unlined holsters? Now vs then.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
The 19th century ones were both unlined and lined however I've never seen one lined the way many new ones are with double layered leather smooth side on the inside. The lining was buckskin, pigskin, cloth, etc. I generally use vegetable tanned pigskin when I line holsters.

With a modern smooth lined holster the gun may draw slightly easier and some people feel like it is easier on the guns finish but my experiences have found that is not true. High quality leather with a firm back is just as good. Some people thing suede lining is easier on the guns finish but in all reality if you plan to use it much it just allows dirt and grit to get in it and then act like sandpaper.

My advice to a customer is normally if you are going to get a traditional style with a money belt then go the rest of the way and keep it traditional. So I would recommend no lining or at least a traditional lining material.

I personally don't use lined holsters for everyday carry or CAS but some of my own are lined just for dress type rigs and for show.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Cliff,

Thank you for the response, I appreciate the insight. In looking through the book Packing Iron most of what I see seems to be unlined. In fact so far I have not been able to identify a single original holster that has a lining.

In my early 20s I had an unlined mass marketed  brand name holster that I kept a Ruger Super Blackhawk in all the time. I never had a single issue with the combination of an unlined holster and Ruger bluing but the brass cartridges I left in the loops certainly developed a nice green patina on the leather. A learning experience with brass and leather, no doubt as it was quite a chore peeling those cartridges out of their loops after they had been there for much too long. Of course, that was before the Internet and all the research one can easily do today. Had I known...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:41:05 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
It's not uncommon to see originals that are or were lined with the lining torn or it has been completely ripped out.

Most of my cartridges don't sit long in the loops since I use them on a regular basis but of my own gun rigs I use some don't turn the cartridges green and some do. Different cows and different hides I guess.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
I have an old GH and JS Collins holster that dates to around 1880 that shows a bit of lining still in it around the belt loop rivets. It does indeed look like pigskin, or something that is equally thin anyway.
Most of mine are unlined, but when I do, I usually do the modern thing and make it a thick veg tan lining for competition.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com