Author Topic: new guy with a 73 reproduction  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Fredd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new guy with a 73 reproduction
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
Greeting everyone;
I tried to post here a few weeks ago and apparently hit a wrong button because nothing showed up.  It would not be the first time I hit a wrong button on the computer.   Or maybe I have not been around long enough to post a picture?

I recently bought a .45colt 1873 short rifle from Taylor's.  This is the short barreled rifle with the pistol grip and I must say it is a knock-out to look at.  Good looking fit and finish along with a nice smooth action I was not really expecting.   I had bought a Uberti 1873 rifle from a vendor at 'I think' the first Quigley Match in Montana and it is nowhere near as smooth as this short rifle.

l

I have had it out only once on a busy day at the range where I had a seat at the 50 yard line.  Using a light Trailboss cowboy load it was shooting very high and to the right.  Switched to my old standby loading of 8 gr. of Unique and was only 7 inches high and only a smidgen to the right.   I might try 8 - 1/2 gr. of Unique to cut down the barrel time but have yet to research how much of a load the action is supposed to be able to take or I want to shoot.  I also had a few black power loads I had inherited that actually shot a nice group (still high) but I have no idea what they are.  At the moment I don't have any bullets made up that would carry enough lube for black powder so that's on the do later list.   

Yes I do have some sorting yet to do but it should be fun.  This purchase started out with me wanting an 1876 in 40-60 and seemed to suffer a bit of mission creep.  Not sure I understand just how that happened.  Maybe I was being practical as I already load for 45c.  Practical gun buying. . say it ain't so.
Woody

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: new guy with a 73 reproduction
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:08:10 PM »
Nice rifle.  Stick with published load manual loads, and stay away from anything that says "for Ruger or TC only".  You can always lower your rear sight to lower the point of impact if it isn't already all the way down.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
Some years ago, when I got my short rifle, it also shot very high. There was no room for the rear sight to go any lower. I ended up replacing the front sight with a much higher Marble's sight which solved the problem. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:13:33 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »
If you like the existing rear sight and it is already on the bottom notch remove the front sight.  Take a caliper and measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

Go here and plug in the data.  You will need a taller front sight.  Select a new sight that is the correct height or slightly taller.

http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Sight_Correction_Calculator/detail.htm?lid=13093

Offline Fredd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »
  Yes, the sight is down as far as it goes without removing the wedge (not sure what the right name for the wedge is).  I am not attached to the stock sight and generally don't like buckhorns at all, but this one is better shaped than I expected. 

The plan was to change the rear sight out for a Smith ladder sight but I may give the factory sight a try for a while. 
That  calculator worked and gave me the number I needed.  For right now I am going to shoot it at 25 and 100 yards then make my 0-ing decision. 
Woody

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
My carbine shot about 7 inches high as well. I filed down the rear notch and aim with the front post centered in the now larger v of the rear sight, works great out to 100 yards now.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »
Seems like all of the carbines with the folding sight shoot way high.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com