Author Topic: New Shiloh '74 Arrived  (Read 12840 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Shiloh '74 Arrived
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
My new Shiloh #1 Sporter in 45-70 arrived yesterday. I've spent the day fussing over it (what do people do with nothing to obsess about?) and mounting an MVA tang sight. The factory rear sight has been added to my collection of such sights. Now I need a slot blank.

The wood turns out not be as light in colour as in the photos on the web site. Lucinda Klostermeir told me that it was due to the poor lighting. She was right. Probably why no one else bought it while I was waffling back and forth for a couple of weeks.
It's a pleasing medium brown and I've already managed to darken it a tone and apply some quality bees wax furniture polish.

Shiloh installed one of their globe fronts but neglected to include any sight inserts. I've contacted them about it.

It's hard to fault Shiloh quality when it comes to metal finish and wood to metal fit. This is Shiloh number six in my rack, and I can say the same for all of them. The Pedersoli "Cheap Sharps" I had is not even on the same page. It went back the same week  it arrived.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: New Shiloh '74 Arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
I have a C Sharps 1875 Sharps carbine that I love - and am yearning for more.

So...............our motto is "Sharps - Built in Montana, or not built at all!"...............??  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »
As uppity as it sounds, I'm in agreement with you. The Ped had a couple of features that I liked - it had a very good modern type muzzle crown unlike the sheared off square type on the Shilohs. They also reputedly straighten their barrels where necessary.

But - it ended there. Tool marks on the receiver, sharp edges on the lever, etc. Dropping another grand for a Shiloh is the way to go.

I had a C.Sharps '75 'Business Rifle' in 45-70, and while not traditional, this rifle shot like a hot damn. Wish I'd kept it. A pal and his son each have one, the son's in 40-70. Both are excellent rifles.

The one thing C.Sharps '74's have going for them in the use of the [OLD RELIABLE] label on the barrel. I've heard of Shiloh owners having that engraved on their barrels. Shiloh can't do it, but an owner can do so.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:24:48 PM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
I've had a Shiloh 45/90 for several years. I've shot out to 1000yds, killed a1800 lb buffalo with it,,
won several medals, and could have sold it for more than I paid for it. I still marvel at the beauty
of it especially in the sunlight. A wise investment indeed !!

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
We can't shoot Bison in this province with a BPCR. A lady shot one  5 times with her .270 and got rolled into the snow by the buff. Now it takes a .30 calibre with a 175 gr bullet minimum and so many foot lbs of energy at 100m.

A Shiloh is an investment in history. Parts interchange with originals - 'nuff said.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
We can't shoot Bison in this province with a BPCR. A lady shot one  5 times with her .270 and got rolled into the snow by the buff. Now it takes a .30 calibre with a 175 gr bullet minimum and so many foot lbs of energy at 100m.

A Shiloh is an investment in history. Parts interchange with originals - 'nuff said.
You gotta love politicians and government "do gooders"!
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
Yeah, no input was solicited from hunters. Obviously the bureaucrats never heard of the great buffalo slaughter done with BPCR's.

I've dropped two moose with my '86 using BP equivalent smokeless loads that would be safe in a Trapdoor. One dropped in his tracks, t'other went 50 yds before piling up.

I've taken two 400+ lb black bears with my 50-70 carbine with BP loads, both at 100 yds. I recovered one bullet in the off-side shoulder after I hit him in the heart. The other was a through and through.

Mike Venturino took a buffalo at 185 yds (I think ... ?) with a 50-70 Military Rifle and did not recover the bullet. It's in his book on buffler rifles.

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
Kind of late to the party but how did you darken the stock PJ? ???
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
I didn't. Like I said - it was the camera flash that made the wood appear lighter than it was. It's a very satisfactory medium brown walnut colour.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
Now you should have that chamber run out to 3-1/4" shoot only Swiss powder in it,  and scratch Old Reliable on the barrel.  Then you would have a rifle to crow about!  LOL.  ,,,,DT

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
I will never own a BPCR in a chambering longer than 2-1/10" and I refuse to pay for Swiss Powder. I really enjoy being present when someone is shooting his 45-120, pretending that he's having fun.
Funny how they quit after a short string of shots while I'm busy putting 40-50 rds downrange with my 45-70 in the course of a morning or afternoon.

Got that covered. Three of my 6 Shiloh rifles have the [OLD RELIABLE] logo on them. And I don't "crow" about my rifles. I just appreciate them and am grateful that I have them.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »
Now see PJ, you do get some enjoyment from the 3-1/4" , in your own way!  . I enjoy hearing people down the cartridge on the basis as its to much recoil and not needed. When in reality they are saying , Its to much for them , and therefore should be to much for anyone.  Not So! FYI some of us can handle it.  My .72 rifled ML. with 750 gr. bullet from a  ten pound Jaeger , has quite the Wallop , I dont shoot it 40 or 50 times on an outing. But still one of my favorite rifles to shoot.  It would probably put you into shock! Would be very dull to me , if I never used anything but my 45/70 or 60 or 90 .  And also however will you get into the ( Mines bigger than yours club ) you have mentioned so many times, if you never get anything bigger than the 2-1/10"?  Just a fellow shooter that likes all cartridges and does not down any,,,,DT

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
I'm not knocking any BPCR cartridge by saying that I wouldn't own one larger than 45-70. Admission into the "mine is bigger than yours club" holds no appeal for me. I am assured by women I've known that bigger is not necessarily better .... ;>)

Do you shoot your bruiser of a ML from the bench, off hand or from x-stix? I shoot my BPCRs from x-stix, usually prone. My BPCR carbines I shoot off hand.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »
PJ that old Jaeger is best shot off hand, as you can imagine .  Not so much fun from the bench. Load development was done on the bench.  Once I got the load right , it gets shot standing or off the stix. Its really not as bad as it sounds, I use light for caliber powder charges.  Need a lead mine to shoot it often though. 750gr x 20 or so adds up quick.  Hope you enjoy your Shilo ,,,DT .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »
I do enjoy my Shilohs! Works of art.

Try shooting your ML from prone x-stix and get back to me. Or a 45-110 or 45-120 from prone x-stix.

Around these parts, it is common knowledge that moose can only be shot with something in the order of a .338. Strange, the two moose I've shot fell to the piddly ol' 45-70.

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »
Back in 2013 at the NCOWS Nationals, I had the rare privilege of being able to light off my Shiloh Number 3 in .45 2.4 right next to Old Bear Tooth Billy! We had quite literally, a blast. Billy and I were saddle tramp buddies in a previous life!
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline BILLYDIXON

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
Hey PJ I've been thinking about getting a 50/70 Sharps carbine for awhile now. I've had a Shiloh 50/90 since 1979 sent it back for another breechblock and a 34" HB. What kind of loads r u using. If u could drop me a line I'd appreciated it.
Thanks
Billy
NRA Benefactor Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
My 50-70 loads are super sophisticated: I'm using Lyman's 515141 sized .510/SPG/65 grs Goex Cartridge/BELL/Starline brass/no wads.

Why no wads? Because in Venturino's book on Buffalo Rifles he didn't use any and got the results he was after. Me too. I hit 28 oz. tomato cans off hand at 100m.

For a little less recoil I load the Rapine 375 gr bullet. I anneal after every use and use a Meacham neck sizing die to get a better grip in the bullets. That gives the cases a slight bottleneck.

For smokeless I use the same bullets over 28 grs 5744 and they shoot to the same point of aim.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
Tomato cans offhand at 100?  That's darn impressive!  :o

I think we'll start calling you "Quigley"!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
The event is a side match we call the "Mini-Quigley". We place 5 water filled cans at 100m. You step to the line in turn and have at 'er!
Best out of three wins.

Using my carbine is almost cheating as others are using full sized '74 rifles c/w tang sights. But then, most are shooting smokeless and deserve to lose .... ;>)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com