Author Topic: Question on Accuracy of Heeled Bullets  (Read 10187 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Question on Accuracy of Heeled Bullets
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »
Just to be ....... Informative??  Suggestive??  A pain in the Bu..  ;D

Several of my 1860s are dual use guns.  Cap Guns with R&D style two piece conversion cylinders.  In all honesty, I have never fed them
45 Colt cases.  Either 45 Schofield or Cowboy 45 Special.  Neither of those cases has a "length" problem.  I am able to go to a match
with a set of 44 Snubbie Cap Guns and if the weather goes a bit south, swap out the cylinders and shoot (gasp) suppositories out of
the same gun (oh, the shame  ::))

Coffinmaker

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »
I am curious about the accuracy obtainable in a heeled bullet for the colt 1851 Navy or 1860 Army.  Ive read there are molds better than others and using a heeled bullet vs hollow base helps, etc..., but assuming proper bullets, and loading techniques are used, can a heeled bullet provide similar accuracy to a standard 38 and 45 round in a well prepared revolver?

I am a novice in black powder and conversions and trying learn more about the historically accurate conversions.  Since I plan on casting and re-loading, if a heeled bullet makes sense in my final decision, I have no qualms regarding putting in the extra effort to re-load a heeled bullet.  If accuracy is always going to suffer if compared to a non-heeled bullet, I will probably opt for non-heeled.

Jimeast,

I shoot heeled bullets in different guns. I have never seriously checked accuracy. I was testing the attached knockdown target with my '51 navy using 38 heeled that I make myself. Casting them,using range brass. I was shooting chest, abdomen and between the eyes to see how easy the target falls. As can be seen the shots are tight and dead center on aim. I like heeled bullets, they are fun! And they dropped the target with ease.

P.S. I also shoot 44 heeled, Fun!!
                                                         Molasses Mike
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
There are likely several factors that determine the accuracy of heeled bullets. The one that the shooter can control, is the selection of a bullet with the longest length of the parallel side. (The widest part, after the nose and heel are deducted. I didn't call it "full-bore", but it is the widest diameter.)

Here is an article that describes a load developement for the .41 LC. it explains the author's experience in testing a variety of bullets;

http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:48:12 AM »

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Good point, also, the shorter the heel the better, a long heel makes for the bullet wanting to wobble in the barrel and flight.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com