Author Topic: Easy-Breezy, Non-Intrusive Make-Shift Sling  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Easy-Breezy, Non-Intrusive Make-Shift Sling
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
 Thought this might be of interest to some of you who occasionally use your '66's and '73's for other than CAS when they're required to be toted.
  I'm taking a trip in a month to a somewhat mountainous region and will carrying the '66 along for treks. I seriously needed a way to sling it but am not quite ready to inlet the stock for the traditional type sling loops as I'm going to strip it and give it a good oil finish once it warms up around here.
 So, I found a cheap leather belt and went to work.

First, remove the buckle and cut a longitudinal slit about the width of the belt a little ways from end.

Now thread the other end of the belt through this slit and slide it over the end of the barrel and down to the forend.

[

At the other end of the belt punch a small hole about an inch or so from the tail end of the belt (you can also just use one of the buckle holes, if desired).

Finally remove the bottom buttplate screw, insert it through the hole you punched and screw it back into the buttplate and tighten it firmly.

[

Tada!!

The sling is easily adjusted by sliding it up and down the barrel and pulling it snug at the spot you want it to stay. Sort of holds itself like a latigo does on a saddle. When one is finished with it, reverse the procedure.

I've tried this with two belts, one a little thicker than the one pictured, and neither got in the way of the sights.

CHT

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Easy-Breezy, Non-Intrusive Make-Shift Sling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Wonderful in its simplicity. Thanks for sharing!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
You bet! Someone with better leathermaking skills than I cod probably do a much neater job.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:07:11 AM »

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »
   Greetings!

That looks very inexpensive & doable! Bravo!

M.T.Marfield

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
 :D  Thank you Thank you Thank you. I have been looking for something to use for my 73 and 66.
Fidgety Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com