Author Topic: Foolin' around with a Martini Henry  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Foolin' around with a Martini Henry
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »
That was fun.... I wonder what his targets cost  :)   4 hams, how many gal.s assuming that's OJ  :-\  and 27 lbs of propane

road flairs etc.   

Cool gun I use to shoot a friends MH 30 years ago, what a grand old lady
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
I just ordered one of the "untouched" Nepalese Martini Henrys from IMA.  It will be a wall hanger only, but I am now thinking of buying One that has been cleaned and fixed up from them.  I have seen a few videos of one being fired and it looks like it will be fun.  ;D
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:06 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
Just clean up the "untouched" one you're getting.  Supposedly, a lot of them are in much better shape than they first look.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
I will be cleaning it up for sure.  Even if it is to bad to shoot it will make a nice display piece.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
I have one of the Nepalese guns.  As has been said, they generally aren't as bad as they first seem...at least once you've scraped off a century's worth of dirt and congealed yak grease. 

One thing worth noting.  I've heard this from a couple of sources online and one my instructors who's done a fair bit of M/H work over the years, so I'll pass it along.  Supposedly the receivers for the Nepali guns were built under British supervision, so they're generally not bad.  They aren't quite up to the standard of Birmingham steel but they're better than might be expected. 

The barrels, on the other hand, were contracted out locally.  Most (if not all) were forged by hammering together multiple strips of metal around a rifled mandrel.  As it happened, these weren't shot much on account of the British being wary of over-arming their subjects.  Not until the .577/450 was regarded as obsolete did appreciable quantities of cartridges make it over, by which time it was discovered that the barrels had a bad tendency to split.

Could just be an overabundance of caution.  Could be justified.  Personally, I wouldn't chance it.  With a British rifle, sure.  With a Nepali copy...not so much. 

Mine was beat-up (and cheap) enough that I've got other plans. 

At present I'm looking to put on a 16-20" barrel and rechamber for .45 Colt.  From the look of things it's feasible - but I don't know that I'll have the time this semester to get it done and, God willing, I graduate in May.  This may be a somewhat longer-range project than expected. 
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com