Author Topic: Volcanic -> Henry -> 1866  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Volcanic -> Henry -> 1866
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »
Howdy

Excellent video. One very minor correction. The speaker states that Smith and Wesson purchased the Rollin White patent for bored through chambers. That is incorrect. Although S&W wanted to buy the patent, White refused to sell. Instead he licensed S&W to use the idea, and they paid him a royalty for every firearm they produced until the patent expired around 1869.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
Nice video - thanks !

T4t

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:05 PM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »
Howdy

Excellent video. One very minor correction. The speaker states that Smith and Wesson purchased the Rollin White patent for bored through chambers. That is incorrect. Although S&W wanted to buy the patent, White refused to sell. Instead he licensed S&W to use the idea, and they paid him a royalty for every firearm they produced until the patent expired around 1869.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a cash cow like that.

Great video! I love looking at the evolution of these iconic firearms.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
Rolin White applied for a renewal, and renewals were routinely granted. According to McDowell in COLT CONVERSIONS, The Army was upset with him in not making his patent available to them in the War.

Surprise, Surprise! The renewal was refused!

The Army and Colt celebrated by immediately issuing the Richards conversion revolver and the .44 Martin (aka .44 Colt) cartridge. These developments had been in the works for some time, just waiting for Rolin White to go away.

The rest of the gunmaking world thought the Rolin White patent was bogus, and very properly ignored him.

P.S: The Rolin White patent actually had the effect of thwarting firearms developement, not encouraging it!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
Man, what I wouldn't give to have a cash cow like that.

Great video! I love looking at the evolution of these iconic firearms.

It didn't work out very well for him. He had the responsibility to pursue in the courts of law every patent infringement that Smith & Wesson sent his way. It cost him hard cash to do so.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
It didn't work out very well for him. He had the responsibility to pursue in the courts of law every patent infringement that Smith & Wesson sent his way. It cost him hard cash to do so.

Right, I admit, I didn't consider that. So never mind. Might have been if he had just sold the patent then. Oh well.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
Rolin White applied for a renewal, and renewals were routinely granted. According to McDowell in COLT CONVERSIONS, The Army was upset with him in not making his patent available to them in the War.

Surprise, Surprise! The renewal was refused!

The Army and Colt celebrated by immediately issuing the Richards conversion revolver and the .44 Martin (aka .44 Colt) cartridge. These developments had been in the works for some time, just waiting for Rolin White to go away.

The rest of the gunmaking world thought the Rolin White patent was bogus, and very properly ignored him.

P.S: The Rolin White patent actually had the effect of thwarting firearms developement, not encouraging it!

Grant vetoed the patent extension which today would be tossed out in a minute in a court of law. Grant had no such constitutional powers, not unlike the same shenanigans the current POTUS has pulled. The Gov't cannot simply "cherry pick" what laws to adhere to under the law technically speakling just because it would save them money.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
Presidential veto. Interesting, especially coming from a former general, who had the defence of the realm at heart.

IMHO the Patent on a bored-through cylinder was bogus from the start. perhaps that is why White had to spend so much time & treasure defending it?

Thread drift=> hijack ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
...IMHO the Patent on a bored-through cylinder was bogus from the start. perhaps that is why White had to spend so much time & treasure defending it?

Thread drift=> hijack ;)

It was a superb patent as no one had thought of it before as it relates to metallic ctgs. He spent so much money defending it for that very reason as many sought to make big $$ on infringement.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
It was a superb patent as no one had thought of it before as it relates to metallic ctgs. He spent so much money defending it for that very reason as many sought to make big $$ on infringement.

Absolutely! It was a very clever patent that nobody had thought of before.

Daniel Wesson came up with the same idea, but when he and Smith did a patent search they discovered the idea had already been patented by White. And White had offered the idea to Sam Colt, who in what was probably the worst business decision of his life, decided to pass. So White patented it himself.

He charged S&W a royalty of 25 cents on every revolver they made, but since Daniel Wesson had cleverly inserted a clause in the contract that White was responsible for policing the patent, White was stuck chasing patent infringers all over the country. And there were plenty of them. White wound up penniless in the end, having spent most of his money from the royalties defending his patent.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »
What we need is a .32 S&W Volcanic rifle!  Didn't someone do a Volcanic pistol a few years back in .32 S&W?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
I followed a series a couple of years ago on "Paco Kelly's Lever Guns."  A VERY TALENTED machinist built a Volcanic pistol and a Volcanic rifle.  Don't remember the caliber.  I'll see if I can find it.

Coffinmaker

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
I think that guy made ammo from .40 S&W cases.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
Abilene!!

BINGO!!  :D.  Went digging around with Google Foo and found it.  Charlie used .40 SW cut down real short.  I'd give my eye teeth to have one.  Charlie said he'd never take a commission to built one for someone else.  WAY too expensive.

Coffinmaker

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Here ya go:

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/search?q=volcanic

I thought it was on this site or The OPen Range as well but couldn't find that.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 08:15:26 PM »
I would buy one if they could be made in say 32 or 44 short. I wont hold my breath. even a non firing exact copy would be great to have.
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com