Author Topic: I've got the '72 open top blues.  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've got the '72 open top blues.
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
Howdy,
  I have three '72 open tops and no more than one ever works. Have had them for different lengths of time, one going back about fifteen years. Always problems. I have a mess of '73 SAA's with no real problems. A group of '51 Navy's, no real problems. A box of '58 Remingtons, no real problems. But these '72 open tops are getting me down. I like the feel and looks of them, but I can not get them to work for me.
  Thanks for listening, needed to get it off my chest.
                           Molasses Mike
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: I've got the '72 open top blues.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
Sorry to hear of your woo's

You don't mention what manufacture they are...or what issues you are having...
add those pearl's and the help will be abundant and uplifting  :)

Coffin Maker , Pettifogger , Hoof Hearted can be the men in white hats you seek  :)

several more are very good as well...and hopefully  will chime in
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
I very much agree with Major2.
More information is needed from you to be able to offer you any help with the revolvers you are having trouble with.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:15:52 PM »

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »

You don't mention what manufacture they are...or what issues you are having...
add those pearl's and the help will be abundant and uplifting  :)

Coffin Maker , Pettifogger , Hoof Hearted can be the men in white hats you seek  :)

several more are very good as well...and hopefully  will chime in
[

Major 2 & Blair,
  Thanks for the interest & help. All three are Uberti made. The oldest I got through a dealer about 500 miles form home. It is marked only with Uberti. The next two I got at different times, both from Cimarron.
   I used these in a six stage match and by stage three one was FTF about half the time. I did have a back-up. When I looked it over I found the firing pin rather loose. These guns have not been used enough to wear out parts. I replaced the firing pin with a Smith Shop one. Tried it out, seems about the same. I checked to make sure the hammer went all the way down to the frame so it is not hitting the frame before getting all the way through.
   That was/is the easy problem. The other Uberti marked only gun is a different problem. It is a 44 colt cal. and works often. My '66 Winchester and other '72 open top are 44 spl. cal. so... I got a 44 spl. cylinder for it. That is when I discovered a problem other than works often. While trying to fit the new cyl. I could get the correct dimensions but never the less it jams right up. I have outside mics ,depth mics  calipers, etc. I checked every way I thought so that the new cyl. matched the original. I finally  found a difference. The arbor hole in the original cyl. is coned out on the rear end about .015 larger than the front. This coning out goes about half way through. I am guessing it allows the cyl. to float a bit to prevent jamming. I have been trying to duplicate the coning but it tests my skill level.
  My goal was/is my three open tops and '66 Winchester all 44 spl. and working. I t eludes me.
                           Molasses Mike

V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:16:04 AM »

Edited

Major 2 & Blair,
  Thanks for the interest & help. All three are Uberti made. The oldest I got through a dealer about 500 miles form home. It is marked only with Uberti. The next two I got at different times, both from Cimarron.
   I used these in a six stage match and by stage three one was FTF about half the time. I did have a back-up. When I looked it over I found the firing pin rather loose. These guns have not been used enough to wear out parts. I replaced the firing pin with a Smith Shop one. Tried it out, seems about the same. I checked to make sure the hammer went all the way down to the frame so it is not hitting the frame before getting all the way through.
   That was/is the easy problem. The other Uberti marked only gun is a different problem. It is a 44 colt cal. and works often. My '66 Winchester and other '72 open top are 44 spl. cal. so... I got a 44 spl. cylinder for it. That is when I discovered a problem other than works often. While trying to fit the new cyl. I could get the correct dimensions but never the less it jams right up. I have outside mics ,depth mics  calipers, etc. I checked every way I thought so that the new cyl. matched the original. I finally  found a difference. The arbor hole in the original cyl. is coned out on the rear end about .015 larger than the front. This coning out goes about half way through. I am guessing it allows the cyl. to float a bit to prevent jamming. I have been trying to duplicate the coning but it tests my skill level.
  My goal was/is my three open tops and '66 Winchester all 44 spl. and working. I t eludes me.
                           Molasses Mike
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »
Mike,

I would recomend giving Hoof Hearted (Gary) a buzz. Send him a private message and he should be able to help. I have had him do some troubleshooting in the past and great work.

Pettifogger is "retired" from my last conversation with him and I have not used Coffin Maker before. Gary (Hoof Hearted) is your man ...

Jacob
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 04:23:15 PM »
Pettifogger,

Are you actually retiring? If so, I wish you the best.
I found it difficult to make the brake from those that wished me to remain within my specific area of knowledge.

While I don't work as a gunsmith today, I very much enjoy offering suggestion towards persons looking for information on forums such as this.
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
You could always contact 45Dragoon at Goonsgunworks.com. I've never used the man personally, but I intend to when I get my Open Top-type revolver. Heck, I want to send my '75 Remington to him too. I've heard nothing but good things about him.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »
"The arbor hole in the original cyl. is coned out on the rear end about .015 larger than the front. This coning out goes about half way through. I am guessing it allows the cyl. to float a bit to prevent jamming."

I'm guessing that is sloppy machining. 

"While trying to fit the new cyl. I could get the correct dimensions but never the less it jams right up."

Jamming up where and how?  Not much to go on there.  If the old cylinder worked OK obviously some dimension is not correct on the new one. 

I don't work for a living any more.  Just give advice (some good, some not quite so good) and write tech articles for the Cowboy Chronicle.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
My guess is that the ratchet needs stoned in a few spots on the new cylinder. However, we don't know what ammo the OP is using as well. Factory ammo? Gun show reloads?  ???

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
If the 44 Colt cylinder works fine, the simplest fix is to just have the chambers reamed to 44 Spcl.  I have done this a number of times in the past at Cimarron.

Offline Justician

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
You could always contact 45Dragoon at Goonsgunworks.com. I've never used the man personally, but I intend to when I get my Open Top-type revolver. Heck, I want to send my '75 Remington to him too. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

I have used him. He is a great guy who does excellent work for a fair price.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
Plus ONE to Pettifogger.  I am also permanently "unemployed."  I am also down to providing suggestions and fixes those with some
mechanical ability and some "good" tool can perform.  Sometimes I even get it right  ;D

In this specific instance, we simply don't have enough information.  Beginning with the basics, Pettifogger and I both describe the Uberti
Open Top as a well machined and good looking KIT.  Some completion required.  Actually, lots of completion required.
Based on the OP's description, ALL the guns need to have the Barrel to Arbor fit corrected, BEFORE anything else is done.  Along with the Barrel to Arbor fit, the Wedge can be correctly fit.  Only then can one consider adding Cylinders or even Cylinder/Barrel combinations.
Once an Open Top is CORRECTLY set up, they run every bit as well as any other Colt type SA.  Operative word here is CORRECTLY.  FIRST
and FOREMOST, again, until the Barrel/Arbor/Wedge fit is correct, anything else is a waste of time and money.

If the OP is unable to work through the gun, Since Pettifogger and I no longer work for a living, contact Mike at Goons Gunworks.  The
gentleman (Losely applied term) knows what he is doing.

Coffinmaker

45 Dragoon

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
Gentleman you say !!!!!!   Ha!!!!!  ::)

Thanks Mik .  .  .  .  .  Coffinmaker!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
I find it realy interesting that these revolvers are considered well machined kits. Do the factory agree or do they beleave they are producing a quality repoduction replica.
I have had two open tops and both did needed work to get them shooting, as wall hanges they were great. The 38 came with a 3 inch barrel and i changed it to a full length one. It was the action which needed work. The 45 needed the arbor wedge work and then it shot to point of aim

Buffalochip

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:36 PM »
Howdy All,

Let me put a plus 1 or more for Hoofhearted. Spiffed up my dragoon conversion and worked a miracle on my sick ASM Schofield. By the way, I shot my first clean match with those 2 pistols. Can't do better than that. 

Reverend Chase

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »
Hi Mike,
We may be talking similars, not the same.  I don't believe Uberti has ever produced the Open Top with a 3 inch barrel.  Could be wrong, but the shortest Open Top barrel I've ever seen is 4 3/4.  Maybe something new and different down your way. 
Anyway:
When the Barrel to Arbor fit has been discussed with Uberti reps, their response is "there is no problem."  Uberti seems to think if it looks
good on the outside, function is unimportant.  Oh, and Uberti doesn't take guns back.  Have to deal with the importer. 

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com