Author Topic: Northern Cheyenne leggings  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Northern Cheyenne leggings
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »
Which would have been more common in 1876 for a Northern Cheyenne brave, brain tan leggings or cloth leggings? Thanks in advance.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Northern Cheyenne leggings
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
The easiest answer is to say 'both'.

The brain-tanning process used was and old, tried and proven method and would be seen for many years to come, but those who 'made' the clothing - the women - 'really' liked the pieces of tent canvas and salvaged tent cloth they could get from the Army, because they could bead their designs onto the much lighter fabric, and once finished - 'then' they could attach it to the garment as an applique'.

It was both a time and effort-saving and finger-saving shortcut, much as the overnight acceptance of the steel sewing needles were., since it's a tedious business, beading onto buckskin.

In that leggings did take a beating, but were also durable, but cloth ones were by that period - were in a general use throughout the tribes, and it was high summer - I'd venture there was an equal mix of both, as well as bare legs.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »
That's what I thought St. George, but I wanted to know for sure and you all on this forum know way more than I do. Thank you for the reply, and it was good to see you at the gun show yesterday.

Quick Fire.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:27:49 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »
Good to see you, as well - it's been too long.

Good Luck with the project - for that purpose, and that one alone, I hope it's a long winter.

Vaya.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com