Author Topic: Any book or website on 'this makes it' a true Colt SAA  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Any book or website on 'this makes it' a true Colt SAA
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »
Now some of you may laugh at the title but I am going to start looking for my first and only Colt SAA and need good guidance on what to look at and what to walk away from.  Sorry, I cannot buy brand new because of the long wait, so I have to look for a good deal without buying a repro.

I owned Uberti and ASM SAA's that I used in CAS, I can spot very evident differences.  Please uderstand I am not talking detailed frame or parts measurements just good guidance.  I recently started viewing the Colt Forum and have read where some guy can state that this part or this barrel has been change because of lettering or stamping patterns or number shapes or that hammer does not go with that generation because of this underline or checkering pattern or number of line cuts or depth of cut, ectc.

I have most of the major books (Wilson and others) from the 90's with photos of Colts.  But these are not indepth generation evaluations, so is there a text or book on 'these are true Colt parts' and maybe the different changes between generations?  That is the guidance I want to understand before I start looking for real and start pricing.

Thanks
Black River Smith

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Any book or website on 'this makes it' a true Colt SAA
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »
I don't qualify as an Uber Coltista or Colt Cultist.  But, like any manufacturer, there were many many changes incorporated into Colt guns throughout their manufacturing lifetime (still ongoing).  there are certain Serial number ranges thought to be the delineation between
1st, 2nd, and 3rd "generation" Colts.  I don't know, off hand, what those dates are.  I don't believe there is one single tomb that
incorporates all various little pieces of information.  Much is Personal Opinion guided by Personal Preference and some has no basis in
fact at all.
Find a gun you can afford that fits the descriptions of the books you have.  Buy it.  Play with it.  Your obviously not yet silly enough to
become a collector so having fun is the bottom line.

Coffinmaker

Really didn't help did I .............

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
For information on post war Colts (2nd and 3rd generation) the bible is the Don Wilkerson Books.  I'm not sure they're in print any more but they are full of the information you seek.  For pre war (1st generation) Kopek's Study has what you're looking for.  Over ther production life of any of the generations ther are constant changes in the guns, some obvious, some subtle.  It is easy to get bogged down in details if you're not careful.  Check Guns America and Gun Broker on the web and you will find a fair number of Colts of every generation at a wide range of configurations, prices, and conditions.  Look em all over and figure out just what you want.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:54:56 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:08 AM »
There are three Generations, and not four.

You can see the 'breaks' in the Colt Serial Number' thread I posted here.

The newest-built Colts are excellent examples, but Colt's production is very low, so if you want a brand-new one, your best bet will be Gunbroker, rather than placing an order with the Custom Shop or waiting for one to appear on a dealer's shelf.

There have been a lot of discussion on this forum - read it - you'll learn a lot of interesting things, all of which will help you as you search.

The lowest cost to you will happen at a larger show - on a Sunday - for straight cash - from a dealer who'd like to go home with actual money in his pocket.

Decide on a caliber and finish, as well as barrel length, then you can limit your search, but if you'd like something unique, then look for the re-issued .44-40 with the blackpowder frame and etched panel on the barrel made just like the early ones were 'back in the day'.

Good Hunting!

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »
First, what do you want to do with it? If it's to be a collectible then you're probably looking for a first generation, a gun with some history. If it's to shoot for fun and pass down to the kids, then a second or third will work. I agree with St. George, the Frontier Six Shooters with the black powder frame and the etched barrel are the best of both worlds, look and feel just like the old first gen guns, but made of the best modern steel. Can't go wrong with one of them or one of the .45 black powder frame ones either. ;D

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The revolver is for shooting and the fact of owning a true honest Colt.
Black River Smith

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:12 PM »
Just don't get caught up with "just one more for a pair" or "maybe one in 44 as well as 45". It can and is addicting, Colts are. ;) I should know, I just wanted one real Colt. Now I have both 44 and 45s in all three generations...and you've got to have at least one in each barrel length...and at least one Buntline...and a sheriff's model...and a Cavalry US gun...and an Artillery model... AHHHH! I can't stop! Time to call CA (Colt's Anonymous).  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com