Author Topic: Uberti Steel frame Henry am i happy  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Steel frame Henry am i happy
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
Took it to the range today could not push the follower up, looked to see why.
Buffalochip

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti Steel frame Henry am i happy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »
I can turn it buy hand.
Buffalochip

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
If that is a new gun you should send/take it back to the retailer.  It is definitely defective.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:39 PM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
New out the box last thursday.
the importer has the pictures. To be far to the importer, he get two shipments a year the Henrys are indent only, this one has been on order for months. The next shipment will  September?
The gun should never of left the factory like this, there is no tention on the last part of the thread to lock it in place.
I cant take the barrel out until the importer has seen it up close.
 ???
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
Quality control with Italian guns seems to be hit or miss of late, with Pedersoli as well. I recently returned a Ped '74 Sharps rifle that had crude machining and finishing on several areas.
Shipped the rifle back for the seller to inspect and a month later got back my money, less the $42 S&H to return it. Something wrong with that picture.

I've watched several German made videos showing Italian guns in action and they seem to be of a higher grade than what gets shipped over here. I knew a couple of German families that came over here for shoots a few years consecutively and their guns were definitely of higher quality than the same guns sold here.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
Not had any reply from Uberti, the ajent here wants it back, say it is a easy fix.
 ???
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
...the ajent here wants it back, say it is a easy fix.
 ???

It's not an "easy fix". The entire barrel assembly will have to set back a thread with 'crush' being calculated. That's will require not only a thread being machined off, but also machining of the magazine junction AND possibly a finishing reamer to deepen the chamber for whatever amount you will lose in the setback & proper headspace established. On a new gun this should be sent back to the factory on their $$ and an employee disciplined as well as a final inspector. Does Uberti have an authorized repair station in Australia? I doubt it. This is serious machine work and not to be attempted by a layman as I am sure Pettifogger & Coffinmaker would agree.

Your best bet is to complain loudly and ask for a new one. The problem is where you live being remote and cartage being long & costly.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Yup, That is what i told him. Not a easy fix.
Will be six month before i see a new gun. Still no email from Uberti. ???
Buffalochip

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
Just spoke to a friend who got a Highwall in the same shipment, the fireing pin will not strike the primer, so will not fire.
Well done Uberti. ???
Buffalochip

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
No.  To do it right, it is not an easy fix.  I would be wiling to bet, the "Agent" down under would take the rifle in, pull the barrel, slather it up with RED LocTite, let it sit overnight and call it "good."  I suppose one could do it that way if one had to, but ....... I would prefer to
have a rifle that was "right" out of the box rather than band-aids and chewing gum.

Coffinmaker

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
Yes, it has to be done properly, I have not taken the barrel out completly but my guess is that it was lock tight in at the factory.
The bore was heavily greased up so i had to use a degreser to get it all out, that may have removed the lock tight as well.

I have had a suspicions for years that none of these guns get proofed as a complete gun,  my belief is they may be proofed in the white and then striped and finished. This is when the problems start, over polishing and the fit goes to pot.

The barrel has a ruff spot towards the chamber end as well, I ned to get a friend to put his bore scope down and have a look.

Buffalochip

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
When I returned the Sharps rifle I mentioned to the dealer, I included a list of my concerns as per his request. I also sent a copy to the head honcho of Pedersoli - no response. That was my 2nd Pedersoli rifle - my first and my last!

I half expected a reply and an offer to replace the rifle with one that passed muster.

Just spoke to a friend who got a Highwall in the same shipment, the fireing pin will not strike the primer, so will not fire.
Well done Uberti. ???
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »
Hey Mike!!

Fella over on another Heathen Wire was taking his brandy new Uberti '73 apart and unscrewed the barrel with his fingers!!  :o

This is starting to look ...... Grimm  :P

Coffinmaker

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
Not surprised, I am in a S---- fight with the dealer here with this one.
A year to get another one sent over I was told,
Uberti rely on there importers to sort problems, they dont.
All guns in Europe have to be proof fired and are the stamped as such, I may be wrong but the guns are proofed in the white and then final finishing is done. This may involve final polishing and would not take much to make the barrels loose on the frame.
This one came loose during a range test, last shot went to reload and could not push the follower up.

With the barrel in proper aliment the gun head spaces fine, but you can turn it by hand.

If I have my money back and i traded guns of more value for this gun over six months ago, I will not get another Steel Frame.

Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
Mike, I would accept NO LESS than your Aussie dealer or dist. to take this back. They need to sort this out with Uberti. How he does that is his problem. I'd ask for my money back and then be on a list for the next order with a caveat that you could examine the rifle in hand before accepting it.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »
Yes i can do that, i would prefer they send out a new gun and i will exchange it then. Had a gun smith look at it so a profetional has seen it.
 ;D
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »
...i would prefer they send out a new gun and i will exchange it then...

That would not be smart IMO. Why? What if your dealer falls over dead or gets eaten by a croc while swimming in the next 12 mos.? Get your money back ASAP. Cash in hand trumps a promissory note 12 mos. down the road every time.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »
I dont want the cash, i will  have my guns back (that wont happen).
The gun can be fixed, but will not be a New gun.
I could drop dead in the 12 month wait and not have a steel frame in the safe.

I have had two guns, the Paterson and now the Henry from the same importer, both not fit for use, the Paterson i have done the work and The maker is sending me the parts. Good will is worth more that $$,
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com