Author Topic: "JM" Marlins  (Read 6305 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"JM" Marlins
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »
Am I correct in believing that Marlin '94s with the "JM" stamp on the barrel are pre-Remington and at the old standard of quality control?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: "JM" Marlins
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
Yep.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »
Thanks, August! I've got a line on one in .44 mag, a Deluxe model with checkering and pretty good wood. Had a couple of these before and foolishly allowed myself to part with them.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:32:22 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
How many of you guys are shooting hard cast lead bullets from .44 Magnum Marlins with MicroGroove barrels? Any issues?

I had one years ago, but I only shot it with JHP's and JSP's. As I recall, it shot those very well, mounted with a Weaver low power variable scope.

My wife's Marlin MicroGroove carbine in .357 shoots hard cast lead very well. I don't think it's ever seen a jacketed bullet.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »
How many of you guys are shooting hard cast lead bullets from .44 Magnum Marlins with MicroGroove barrels? Any issues?

I shot cowboy action for many years with a micro-groove .44 Marlin '94.  Never had any problems with the gun, accuracy, leading, or dependability.

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
I just saw a 24 inch 1894 in .45 Colt in the classifieds on www.rimfirecentral.com Says near new and the price was $850 but then if you want one, there it is. Price didn't seem bad to me considering what some folks are asking for a minty rifle. FYI. jp

Offline BobinIL

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
I had one of the newer Marlins with the little square barcode thingy engraved in front of the serial number and it was of excellent quality.  Word is that they now have all of their new CNC machines up and running making the Marlin rifles and the QC has improved dramatically.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:36 AM »

I had one years ago, but I only shot it with JHP's and JSP's. As I recall, it shot those very well, mounted with a Weaver low power variable scope.

My wife's Marlin MicroGroove carbine in .357 shoots hard cast lead very well. I don't think it's ever seen a jacketed bullet.

Read an article sometime back that the author shot a number of rounds through two Marlins of same caliber, one with micro-groove and the other with Marlins 'Ballard' rifling. Used the same ammo for both. According to his results, there was no difference in build up of any fouling/lead in either rifle and/or accuracy. I can't recall where I read it, think it was a on-line article. The author was using both lead and jacketed bullets and was shooting smokeless powder. The possibilities are the results could be changed maybe by using a 'dirtier'/different  powder, softer lead bullets, change in lube, and/or using black powder. All kinds of result changing scenarios. Another article I read was by someone who was shooting black powder through a Marlin micro groove barrel with success according to the author. Both of my Cowboy Marlins (357/44) are of the Ballard rifling variety, so I can't give any personal insight, can say both rifles are JM's and are good shooters. Have only shot smokeless through them, but giving them a taste of blackpowder is on the agenda sometime using some Snakebites and Mav Dutchmens.
In reference to the early Remlins', the ones I saw were of poor wood/metal fit and the wood looked like something you see on low price budget guns. Saw a few over the last months that looked a lot better, more of the old JM variety. Have heard also that Remington has improved the quality-hope so. Not right to take a classic rifle line and do what they did at first with them.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
Am I correct in believing that Marlin '94s with the "JM" stamp on the barrel are pre-Remington and at the old standard of quality control?

In general if a Marlin has the JM stamp it is one built by Marlin.  However, this is not totally true.  Some of the early Remington built Marlins used JM marked barrels.  Then they had some barrels marked JM on one side and had a Remington logo on the other.  Also, not all Marlin built Marlins had "the old standard of quality control."  Many of the guns built towards the end of production didn't exhibit a geat deal of quality control.  I got several that would not work out of the box.  Part of the reason that Remington was having such a difficult time when they first took over production of Marlins was that the Marlin machinery and tooling was basically very old and essentially junk.  Look for the JM but also take a hard look at the gun itself to assess its fit and finish and don't just rely on the presence of the logo.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »
I'm just "Piling-On" with Pettifogger.  The last production runs from Marlin were basically ..... Krap.  Those that came into my shop needed a lot of help.  Most internal parts had little if any fitment at all.  Wood to metal was atrocious and the wood actually belonged in the kindling box. 

Similarly, the early production runs from Remington were also ..... Krap.  For the very reason cited by Larsen E.  Marlin's machines were old and worn down to a frazzle.  Nothing really fit anything.

Though I've retired, Those folks who I still have conversations with, have all related the latest runs of "Marlin" rifles seem well made, well fit, and work right out of the box.  As with anything else, to really run competitively, they need some judicious rubbin-n-buffin.  There are some real serious caveats there.  Unless you can closely inspect, be very careful.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
A couple of years ago, I got kind of nostalgic, you see my Dad had a 32/20 Marlin in the late 30's
long before, I was even a tadpole.
He at some point traded it, ( interesting story in itself ) but he spoke of it fondly, and I want to get one to pair with His S&W 32/20.

His was a 94 .... I began my quest.... enter the 94CL a Limited run in 1989- 94 JM marked 25 year old, NIB Safe queen all tags & labels still attached.
Fast forward a few months and with Coffinmaker's coaching... a bit of rubbing
a Spring kit, one piece Firing pin, SS Magazine follower & spring and a safety replacement screw ...
and I have a sweetly transformed 32/20 Marlin.

I also had  :-\  JM marked 2000 manufacture 45 Colt 1894 I foolishly allow to slip away.... I see that very one often  as my pard like to
use it in NCOWS.

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com