Author Topic: Is Chrome tanned leather really as bad as claimed?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
Is Chrome tanned leather really as bad as claimed?
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
I've always heard about the chrome tanned being bad thing so as everyone else have generally avoided it. However I know someone who has used it on a lot of holsters without any negative effects. I've also occasionally seen holsters with what appears to be a suede lining which I suspected being chrome tanned so I and just had to experiment myself.

So I wiped off the barrel of an old gun I don't care anything about with a clean dry rag to remove any oil and wrapped a piece of chrome tanned pig skin around a section of the barrel and put a spring clamp to hold it against the guns finish. It's been in contact with the gun for a year and the finish isn't effected at all. You can't tell on the barrel where it has been compared to the finish around it.

So what gives? is this a fluke? did I happen to get a 'good' piece of chrome tanned or is it really not as bad as claimed.

This is chrome tanned pig skin from Tandy leather I picked up a couple years ago.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
Re: Is Chrome tanned leather really as bad as claimed?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »
Well, I have always heard to avoid it, so I did.  What I can say is people used to joke about avoiding a tannery, well veg tan may not smell good during the process, but chrome tanning is very toxic/detrimental depending on how they handle their waste.  Chromium salts, depending on the type can be quite deadly.  For that reason, I avoid it.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »
Same here, I've always avoided it with the impression it would mess up a guns finish just sitting in it for a day or so but I'm not sure that is the case.

In my limited testing it appears you would have to get a gun or holster wet and leave the gun in it for an undetermined amount of time in which would probably mess up a guns finish in any holster. You would think in a case like that any salts in the chrome tanned leather would accelerate and worsen the damage but none the less if a person cares for one like they should it doesn't appear to be as bad as claimed.

I have taken a different piece, different brand of suede leather and wrapped that same gun barrel and will monitor it over the next few weeks or months for any damage.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:55:09 PM »

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
I used soft chrome tan for a boot holster for a nickel 1903 colt. It ruined the finish. It not only dulled the finish but turned it a baby crap yellow. I've stayed away from chrome finish since.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com