Author Topic: Uberti 1872 open top help  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Griebz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uberti 1872 open top help
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
Hey everyone

Im new to this forum and need some help deciding on my second six shooter. I want the uberti open top in 7 1/2 inch barrel but im not sure what caliber to get. I love the 45 colt since its the same round my 1873 SAA shoots but ive heard that it's problematic with the open tops.  Ive also heard that the 45 colt cracks the barrels .  I would love some advice .

Peter Griebel

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Uberti 1872 open top help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »
First, a Caveat.  From the standpoint of a CAS gunsmith for over 16 years. 
I don't think the Open Top should have ever been chambered in 45 Colt.  The chamber walls are just too thin.  The guns have passed
proof so they should stay together with SAAMI and Cowboy ammunition.  I even have a Pair, in which I shoot Cowboy 45 Special cases
with BP.
The cracked barrel thing is from a long way back.  I haven't heard of cracking barrel breaches in a long, long, long time.  I wouldn't get
my knickers in a twist over the barrel cracking.  Not an issue.
The Open Top is a fine, well machined, good looking KIT!!  It requires attention before it goes into service.  The Arbor to Barrel fit is normally ...... poor.  Before any other set-up work is done to an Open Top, the barrel/arbor fit needs addressed.  Properly set up, the
Uberti Open Top will run right along with anything else. 
Go for It.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Depending on your shooting style, I'd dump the 45 Colt and go with a pair of Open Tops is 44 Special and run 44 Russian cases in em.
('cause I use to do just that  ::)

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »
+2 with Coffinmaker, I shoot 2 Uberti Opentops, one is chambered 44 Colt and the other 44 Special, I use 44 Russian in both.  (I don't even reload 44 Colt).
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:37 PM »

Offline Griebz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »
Thank you for the help.. Is it possibe to order the open top in 44 spl anymore? Its not listed in the Uberti catalog but i saw it on the Cimarron site. It is my understanding that all the Cimarron guns are made by uberti.

Peter Griebel

Offline Griebz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
Forgot to ask.. What needs to be done to the Arbor? Is the gun safe to shoot right out of the box ?

Peter Griebel

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »
YES

YES

there is an excellent primmer, authored by our own Larsen E Pettifogger, available on "The Open Range" as a read only file that completely
outlines and displays pictures of what need done to an Open Top.

While the guns are quite safe to shoot right out of the box, they don't necessarily work quite right.  At the vary least, a set of after-market
springs is called for.

Coffinmaker

Offline Griebz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »
Thank you for your help coffinmaker.. Much appreciated

Peter Griebel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com